EWB TV Club General Discussion Thread

Berober

26 members have voted

1. 1. How many shows do you think we should watch over one 'session'?

• 6+

I think we should probably avoid hour long dramas that went like, 6+ series. At least at first. If anyone doesn't enjoy them and decides to sit that show out, it'll be a long ass time before they can join back in.

We could just do a season at a time, as a rule.

I'll put some nominations in. All season 1, and we can vote on whether to continue them at the season's end, or replace them for a while:

Band of Brothers

The Black Donnellys (I've never watched it, but I've had it recorded for ages)

Chuck (as above)

Firefly

Heroes

LOST

Scrubs

Star Trek: Enterprise (always felt it was an incredibly under rated show)

Studio 60 (only one season of one of the best TV shows I ever watched? Yes, please)

Freaks and Geeks is much like Arrested Development. Have said for years I need to watch them both and never have.

I just watched Firefly and Serenity this summer (serenity for the first time ever), but would happily do both again.

Yes if we do Heroes I'd rewatch S1, but I don't know if I have the balls to torture myself with S2 again, and I never made it beyond three episodes into S3 or beyond that.

Here's some I would suggest/agree with others on:

Shameless (I am willing to trust TKz)

Californication (Such a great show)

Justified (So more EWBers will hopefully fall in love with it too)

Arrested Development (Never seen)

Freaks and Geeks (Never seen)

ST Enterprise (Never made it past the first season)

Deadwood (Never finished)

Terminator Sarah Connors Chronicles (Never made it past the 6th episode)

And I concur with those that said if we do a show that had multiple seasons we watch a season at a time and walk away from it for awhile.

I endorse any and all of the following:

Deadwood (Never seen it but have been meaning to as it's been sitting on my hard drive for months now)

Shameless (Trust TKz with this one as it is quite good. And he's right, can't go wrong with Emmy Rossum topless in half the episodes)

Justified (TGC is right that more of EWB needs to see this and realize it's the best drama on TV)

Chuck (If it means getting to watch Season 2 again at some point, then I am all for it)

The Wire (Same as Deadwood)

Friday Night Lights (One of the best dramas of the past decade, more people need to see this and I love the first season, so I would be game)

Lost (I still have yet to see it so I suppose this would get me to do it finally)

Freaks and Geeks (Been awhile since I've seen it and it's a really awesome show)

For half hour stuff, I'm not sure. Californication would be nice as I'd love to see the first season again and if we're gonna do Freaks and Geeks, I'm going to suggest Undeclared because that show is tremendous but I can't think of many outside of those.

Papa Teej endorsed me, so you know I've got the goods.

I'd be willing to try out Justified again if I had a reason to do it. Chuck... eh, I like it but the last season has bored me a little on it. Definitely worth checking out though. The Wire and Friday Night Lights are two I've always heard good things about, so I'd like to give them a shot. I'd be up for Heroes season 1 again, that was enjoyable for the most part. Also going to put Veronica Mars out there, great fun and if we go with a first series of each, the first is the best by far.

I think doing one series of each (with some exceptions, maybe. Parks and Rec & The Office, for example) would be great, it gives enough of a taste that anyone who enjoys it will end up re/watching the rest anyway, so those that continue with that show could just discuss it in the general television thread whilst anyone that doesn't can move on to the next show and discuss that in here.

Lets see...

Shows around an hour long:

Reaper

Supernatural

Veronica Mars

Game of Thrones (I'd like to rewatch before Series 2 starts up!)

True Blood

PRISON BREAK! (was awesome)

Shameless!

Shows around half an hour long:

Undeclared

Black Books! (Wonderful)

Californication

Scrubs?

All stuff I've seen and either enjoyed at some point and wouldn't mind watching again.

I think Firefly/Freaks and Geeks seems like a great starting point though.

A few more suggestions, just throwing them out there:

Twin Peaks

Six Feet Under

Battlestar Galactica

Band of Brothers

The X-Files

Seinfeld

The Larry Sanders Show

Curb Your Enthusiasm

The Simpsons (maybe not from season 1)

NewsRadio

Sportsnight

And a few UK shows, to balance out the American stuff. Shorter seasons too, which might be good:

Edge of Darkness

State of Play

Ultraviolet (not sure how easy it is to get hold off)

Red Riding

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy / Smiley's People

I think we should probably avoid hour long dramas that went like, 6+ series. At least at first. If anyone doesn't enjoy them and decides to sit that show out, it'll be a long ass time before they can join back in.

We could just do a season at a time, as a rule.

That was my assumption. Watch the first season, then maybe come back for S2 if there's enough interest.

I like most of the suggestions so far, particularly these:

First watch

Shameless

Californication

Justified (need to finish season 1, so I may as well watch it again from the first ep)

Game of Thrones

Re-watch

Firefly

Veronica Mars

Arrested Development

The Wire

Are we going to vote on which shows we kick off with?

Definitely up to see Chuck, Arrested Development, Lost, Freaks and Geeks, Shameless, or Game of Thrones.

I lost track of Chuck around season two, loved AD, loved Lost, have only seen about three episodes of F&G (Nearly half of the series, right? :shifty:), I've heard good things about Shameless, and I didn't even hear about Game of Thrones until the second half of the season and it was too late for me to watch by then.

LOST was a show I just got incredibly invested in. I couldn't possibly recreate the experience for everyone that I had with that show, because it was very a much "you had to be there" thing, with the community, the mystery, and the general aura it created. On the flip side, even without all that, it was still pretty much always the best show on TV barring season three when they were forced to stretch out stories during contract negotiations, and a few random episodes here and there.

The final episode literally caused me to wander around for the whole next day not knowing what to do with myself, I was that invested that I felt like a massive part of my life was over. Yes, I know that's tremendously sad.