General Gaming Thread

TKz

I feel like I've missed a lot of the side stuff in Wolfenstein, despite constantly looking for it. Don't remember any bit with an electric guitar. :(

The third time you come back to base and go into J's room, you'll see a guitar on the workbench that you normally use to make Statues for Armor/Health upgrades. That triggers a cut scene.

Yeah, in the Fergus timeline J's replaced by.. uh. I don't know her name. Some lady that Fergus gives a gift to after you reach the home base.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody here watch speedrunning? I've started getting into watching certain runs over the last few weeks and I've found it really interesting.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody here watch speedrunning? I've started getting into watching certain runs over the last few weeks and I've found it really interesting.

I've never watched it live, but I will rarely dig up a speed run of Nintendo games (Zelda or Metroid especially) for whatever reason. Really cool to see the work that goes into those runs.

I've checked out some in the past for some of my favorite games. It's fun to see glitches you never knew about or ways to optimize longer parts of the game. I watched a bit of a guy setting a new world record for FFVIII the other day. 8 hours, insane. My last playthrough, trying to do everything lasted about 80 hours. :P

Anyone given the new Tropico a go? I accquired it recently... seems pretty much the same game as before with some tweaks... all of which I don't really get at this point. How does trade work? Why should I buy pineapples or lumber? What benefit is that to me? I get maybe that later game you could buy primary goods and then process them into luxuries, so wood into lumber into furniture... but in the colonial era what is the point of importing?

Also whilst i'm posting random grievances... I don't get what the 'budget' given to each location (house, farm etc. whatever) is for, is that like wages from the previous game? I liked how you used to be able to control wages across different locations to attract workers or if necessary lower costs in times of debt, anyone have any ideas?

Overall it's fun, I like the Tropico games, and the little tweaks are mostly improvements on the previous title (so if you liked tropico 4, then you'll like this too). One thing I don't like is now I don't seem to be able to control my avatar... in previous titles you could use your avatar to fight, and click them around the island to boost production etc. In this game those abilities seem to have been removed.

The whole 'dynasty' feature seems interesting, but like many things I haven't figured out it's purpose yet.

I think the budget's tied to productivity and wages. This is what I found, from some Steam Community post:

I think you manage the wages for uneducated, educated and college graduates else where we could not see from that video. It was a good video, game looks great, though i did notice a spelling error from Penultimo when he was talking about nuclear programs lol.

For instance if your farm is not doing so well or is producing too much corn/food, you can set the budget to lower as you do not expect to gain high profits from it, but more food surplus for you population, so over-spending on prodcution efficiency is not worth the higher budget.

As far as trading goes, from everything I've seen there's way more benefit to exporting than there is to importing. I guess if you're, say, having a food shortage, you could import fish or meat or whatever. Almost every video I've watched, though, people just use it to export whatever products they make or harvest on their island.

• Like 1

Okay more game time in...so there actually heaps of game-breaking bugs in this game (Tropico 5), and the time periods force sort of a boring linear aspect to the gameplay which is quite stifling, the UI also seems to have gone backwards with important info obscured or completely hidden, building options handicapped... I can only assume this is deliberate to set-up future DLC at 10 bucks a pop. That's just disgusting, essentially they are selling a beta release as a full-game, then asking you to pay more in the undisclosed future for DLC morcels just to bring the gameplay depth up to the level of the previous release. Now that this release got me back interested in the Tropico series after a hiatus I think i'll just go back to playing Tropico 4 with all the DLC, as it's a complete game.

In Tropico 5 the rebels are basically bugged, and can never be removed - you can't even build prisons or labour camps. Criminals no longer exist as citizens, teamsters don't work properly, the budget slider is a poor substitute for wage control etc.

It sucks coz I was enjoying some of the visual upgrades and the little sprinkles of new concepts but at this point I couldn't suggest anyone actually pay money for this game.

3/10 Papayas

Edited by kaya

Rumours of Red Dead 3 can die... because the Take-Two CEO stated it was clearly a "permanent franchise" :D No word on it's production state (if at all), but insanely glad of that. RDR was probably my second favourite game of this gen behind Last of Us.

I know. I was out of town so couldn't log on except by phone which kept hanging on the site. I got back about a few hours too late.

It was their last flash sale. I may have been two bucks, not one. But dirt cheap. Dammit.

UK got it free one time for plus so i held off hoping it would come over.

Finally finished Wolfenstein! Fantastic game. Suffered from some fairly typical FPS logic in the last few levels (it's the end of the game... should probably be harder, let's throw in more enemies and make them take less damage!), but what a wonderful story. Did anyone finish the game on the other timeline than Fergus?

One thing I wanted closure on...

What happened to that awful Nazi woman? Man, I really wish I could've killed that lady.

Wolfenstein

The only Nazi woman I remember is the one who gets killed by Set Roth's mech. She gets thrown over that cliff, comes back, and then the mech grabs her away from you and kills her. Unless there's another Nazi woman later on?

EDIT: Oh wait. I'm on the Wyatt timeline. Maybe it's different for Fergus timeline.

Wolfenstein

The only Nazi woman I remember is the one who gets killed by Set Roth's mech. She gets thrown over that cliff, comes back, and then the mech grabs her away from you and kills her. Unless there's another Nazi woman later on?

EDIT: Oh wait. I'm on the Wyatt timeline. Maybe it's different for Fergus timeline.

I'm on the Wyatt timeline too, that happens - but during the start of the next mission you can either hear a report or see an article about how she's resting up or something.