General Gaming Thread

TKz

I really suggest anyone to play Snake Eater because it's by far the best game in the series. Gameplay wise, setting wise, character wise and story wise.

It was my first MGS game and it was a complete rollercoaster ride of feels and emotion.

Afterwards I promptly went through MGS1 and MGS2, and since then also have played MGS4... But Snake Eater is still on top of my list of best games ever played.

Found some cheap copies of LEGO's Lord of the Rings and Marvel that I intend to flip for something else but was testing them out first and, given that Batman is my only previous LEGO title, I'm kinda blown away by how they've ramped up in the intervening time. Like, LotR starts out during some battle with swarms of orcs running past you and a big Sauron showing up. That's one cool part that they've actually started usuing models outside of the standard sort of mini figure size, such as playing as Hulk at the start of Marvel. Though, I imagine changing back and forth between Hulk and Bruce Banner might get annoying with the animations playing every time.

Marvel is pretty crazy though: (Very early spoilers)

Flying around with Iron Man? What looks like a massive list of characters to eventually play as? Huge helicarrier featuring Snakes on a Plane reference side mission? Diving off said helicarrier and gliding down to the city below? Mr Fantastic turning into a giant pair of bolt cutters and, of all things, a teapot?

Kinda tempted to keep it but ehhhh, I can always pick it up on PC one day since it seems to going for just a couple of quid already there when it's on sale. Plus it seems to run kinda iffy on my PS3.

Lego Marvel is pretty amazing, they've really nailed down the open world aspect of those games with it. It's the first game I've ever Platinumed just because it was actually fun to do it. And I never Platinum games.

Yeah, the lack of online with Lego games is just silly. I get that they're trying to encourage couch co-op, but the people who were going to play online multiplayer aren't playing couch co-op instead. They're just playing single player or nothing.

So EA UFC has my complete attention right now. For anything that it was missing that the previous games had in, it really makes up for with the technical control scheme that adds a ton of strategy to the fights.

I can also say that this is the very first time in career mode in a MMA game that I have had fights go the full three rounds that I have been actively trying to finish the entire time. The block/dodge/parry system works very well and creates some very realistic fights if you play it right.. otherwise it just turns into a confusing mess that usually ends with you getting knocked the hell out rather early.

For sure some polish that needs to go into next year's edition - movesets need to be more varied for one thing, but otherwise great presentation and overall experience.

How is the career mode?

Seems pretty good so far.

I won all of my Ultimate Fighter bouts, but I assume you just repeat them if you lose since you kind of need to win to make it to the UFC. Presentation there is pretty good, and they do some neat videos as you're going through.

The finale on a real UFC card was pretty cool - you don't get entrances yet, which I like since you're at the bottom of the card - but this is the general flow:

1) You are offered a fight. I don't have choices yet, I just take the one that comes up.

2) You do three random training events to get XP to spend. It's much simpler this time - you spend the XP on leveling up your stats (no stat degradation this time around it seems, thank fuck) and on moves that come in at around 100-200XP each.

3) After the training you can assign new moves/points if you want, set your sponsors, etc.

4) Fight time! You get decent XP for losing even - I lost my first match and got around 600ish XP and won my second one to get a little over 1,000.

And it kind of cycles like that as far as I've played. I've only played TUF Finale and the two fights I mentioned but they were all awesome fights, two of them going the distance and one of them ending in a second round KO.

It's probably going to get old quick - yeah. But that's the nature of these games. I don't mind too much that you don't have to do a convoluted training camp system to get moves this time around.

Lego Marvel is fantastic - it's flawed and a little buggy in pretty much the exact same way that all Lego games are, but it's ridiculous fun. The plot is brilliant, and it's such a nerdy little labour of love. Some of the references are insanely obscure (Menace Of Magneto), and the Stan Lee stuff is fantastic. EXCELSIOR!

• Like 1

Dead Rising 3 is getting it's PC release in September AND someone's making a movie based on the series. Sick.

Granted, it seems to a low-budget affair since it's debuting on Crackle of all things, but still.