General Gaming Thread

TKz

Yeah, the two big complaints from IGN are terrible (as might be expected). Their downsides are the old school ammo/health system and dual wielding not being great. Which for starters, can either of those really be considered cons when they're what make up this type of game? It'd be like complaining that CoD has regenerating health. And duel wielding is fairly inferior to having the chance to aim properly, but shouldn't it be? Ridiculous setting aside, if the guns alone kick as much as they do, why wouldn't it be ridiculously hard to be accurate firing two of them at once?

It really, really bugs me, because anything below an 8 is generally considered "bad"... and from the sound of it, the low score comes entirely from the reviewer not enjoying this type of FPS.

The other complaints I've seen have mostly been that it doesn't look next gen enough. I can kind of understand the need for a truly "next gen" looking game, but it really breeds this environment of "Oh, it's not on the level of Crysis 3? I'll give it a pass". Which is stupid. There's nothing wrong with how it looks. It looks great. It shouldn't be judged on the ridiculous standards that people have for what "next gen" should look like. Especially not when it's the only PS4/One title that's running 1080p and 60fps. There's just no pleasing people.

About as good as you'd expect is the report. It runs and looks good enough, about as good as you can expect from PS3/360. I think this is one of the first multi-gen consoles that's been built around the next gen consoles, rather than previous.

Maybe I'll hold off for the bargain bin then, when I eventually upgrade. Arkham Knight has pretty much confirmed I'll be getting something this year, probably around my birthday, just still not sure which. I want a PS4, wife wants an Xbox, so I'll see the three of you Xbox One users soon enough.

Managed to pick up Wolfenstein today after trading in a bunch of old 360 games. Been dying for a new game to come out on ps4.

I can't say I've played it, but the reviews I've watched/read for it all say along the lines of "the stealth gameplay is fun, the story sucks, and combat isn't great either". I think it got a bunch of middle-of-the-road reviews.

Has anyone played the new Thief?

Square Enix have the PC version on sale for £10, I do generally like stealth games as long as the setting is decent.

Skip to 11:08 to see the gameplay.

I really cannot stress how great Wolfenstein is now that I have made it to the prison level guys. It manages to weave an amazing story into gameplay that somehow manages to feel fresh. The laser gun is an entirely new concept to me, and I love the way it works - action in no way feels forced, and shortcuts just never feel forced - the way they do with games that actually tout a "stealth vs brute force" approach. Even the sneaking in this game offers options, and it all just feels so natural. Some very well scripted sequences and a great alternate history lore.

The melee combat.. oh god. It works and it works with the AI. This isn't a "you're spotted once, you might as well restart your stealth run" kind of game. You'll get a chance, and I love that aspect so much.

God damn.

Speaking of Wolfenstein, one of the cool little things about it I thought (spoilers obvs, ApSham's about nearly to this point)

One of the Resistance members is heavily implied to be Jimi Hendrix. Black guy, fuzzy 'fro, left-handed and when you first meet him he's playing "Little Wing" on an unplugged electric guitar.

Speaking of Wolfenstein, one of the cool little things about it I thought (spoilers obvs, ApSham's about nearly to this point)

One of the Resistance members is heavily implied to be Jimi Hendrix. Black guy, fuzzy 'fro, left-handed and when you first meet him he's playing "Little Wing" on an unplugged electric guitar.

Ohhh yeah. Just got to the point where...

..you take LSD and trip out with him. There's no way it's not supposed to be Hendrix.

This far in - I'd say about half way? And the characterization is absolutely amazing. Just the little things like.. (very minor spoilers)

Walking into the storeroom after saving a bunch of prisoners, and one is sitting on the floor with two open cans of beans. The second he sees you he clutches the beans to his chest and looks panicked before realizing where he is now and calms down a bit.

Edited by Greg Valensham

So i was at a used game store buying used Nintendo 64 games and the guy working there recommended Jet Force Gemini, so i bought it but has anyone ever played it? Any good?

Its a game by Rare so its going to be good.