General Gaming Thread

TKz

53 minutes ago, MDK said:

I tried a FPW game and it was pants. It was like playing Saturday Night Slam Masters or something

:huh:

15 minutes ago, MDK said:

Fire Pro. It was some 2D shit and it was all in Japanese and it was rubbish.

The Fire Pro series is probably the only non-Ryland series that gets wrestling right. It's got a learning curve due to the mechanics but even the SNES ones make the WWE games look like dogshit in comparison. And unlike most WWE games has a functional AI. And as far as being 2d? Still the best and most varied create-a-wrestler system in any series.

But really it's the Saturday Night Slam Masters comparison that's baffling. I mean... that's like comparing Mortal Kombat to Mega Man because they both have blue guys and robots.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

2 minutes ago, OctoberRavenO said:

The Fire Pro series is probably the only non-Ryland series that gets wrestling right. It's got a learning curve due to the mechanics but even the SNES ones make the WWE games look like dogshit in comparison. And unlike most WWE games has a functional AI. And as far as being 2d? Still the best and most varied create-a-wrestler system in any series.

VPW was pretty good. And it had the No Mercy engine.

Just now, MDK said:

VPW was pretty good. And it had the No Mercy engine.

Meh. No Mercy engine is overrated. The modern games do everything better except AI and even then No Mercy's AI falls into the "difficulty means I reverse more" trap. FPR engine is the only one that makes you feel like you're being in a wrestling match instead of a fighting game with wrestling elements slapped on.

And VPW's attempt at making shoot wrestlers was a massive fucking joke.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Meh. No Mercy engine is overrated. The modern games do everything better except AI and even then No Mercy's AI falls into the "difficulty means I reverse more" trap. FPR engine is the only one that makes you feel like you're being in a wrestling match instead of a fighting game with wrestling elements slapped on.

And VPW's attempt at making shoot wrestlers was a massive fucking joke.

I might have to try one of the most recent ones because the one I played looked like FIFA95 with its isometric view and the buttons consisted of kick, punch, grapple and throw" and I was about as impressed as when my dog farts next to me.

The No Mercy engine was brilliant. I had some epic matches against my friends and nothing will top the engine.

22 minutes ago, MDK said:

The No Mercy engine was brilliant. I had some epic matches against my friends and nothing will top the engine.

Fire Pro tops it. By miles. It's like ice cream to manure.

2 minutes ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Fire Pro tops it. By miles. It's like ice cream to manure.

Jeez, if No Mercy is manure, what on earth did you think of WWF Attitude? >_>

1 minute ago, TheWho87 said:

By "No Mercy engine" I assume you are talking about the N64 AKI engine that evolved through Def Jam Vendetta and Day of Reckoning. Its a solid engine and I'd argue next to the Fire Pro engine its one of the best wrestling engines out there.

Yeah, that engine. Def Jam was brilliant.

Just now, MDK said:

Jeez, if No Mercy is manure, what on earth did you think of WWF Attitude? >_>

No, compared to Fire Pro No Mercy is manure.

Which makes the Acclaim engine even worse. Some kind of, I don't know. Supermanure. Like some kind that can't even at least be used as a fertilizer or an explosive or something useful.

• Like 1

Attitude was a good attempt at a wrestling game if compared to Warzone, its when you get into the ECW games and the essentual copy and past set up were you see the laziness.

I am not a fan of the current trend of wanting to recreate the AKI engine, its a good base but it needs to be improved upon, the 5 Star games were good in theroy, then it goes public and bombs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheWho87 said:

By "No Mercy engine" I assume you are talking about the N64 AKI engine that evolved through Def Jam Vendetta and Day of Reckoning. Its a solid engine and I'd argue next to the Fire Pro engine its one of the best wrestling engines out there.

It was also used in the Ultimate Muscle games, which were predecessors for WWE All Stars and were by no means without their charm (that blue disc though)

Fire Pro wasn't really all that decent until Returns honestly, and not all that available for most people anyways until it was released for the PS2. The 'learning curve' is seriously just finding out what the timing mechanic is and then that's about it - it's a neat system really, but once you know it the game is pretty much in the bag. Not like it doesn't have its issues either with the crazy AI and general lack of modes. The extensibility of being able to add big packs of wrestlers is pretty amazing though and being able to do it SUPER easy on the PS3 is great too.

Nothing wrong with the AKI engine. It was snappier, and saying that the 2K games do everything that they did better is a very hard matter of opinion. The speed of the AKI engine stuff compared to the 'we need to simulate every single aspect of wrestling perfectly' kind of took away the couch multiplayer that was so great about games like No Mercy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, apsham said:

Nothing wrong with the AKI engine. It was snappier, and saying that the 2K games do everything that they did better is a very hard matter of opinion. The speed of the AKI engine stuff compared to the 'we need to simulate every single aspect of wrestling perfectly' kind of took away the couch multiplayer that was so great about games like No Mercy.

The main thing I don't like about the 2K engine is that reverse and block are the same button. It takes something out of it when you can pretty much mash one button to block and counter. 

4 hours ago, MDK said:

The main thing I don't like about the 2K engine is that reverse and block are the same button. It takes something out of it when you can pretty much mash one button to block and counter. 

When was the last time you played? I picked up 2K16 after skipping a few years, and reversals are much harder now you only get one shot to press the button at the right time. Yes, eventually you pick up the timing, but it's more difficult than when you were just able to spam R2 and pretty much reverse everything.

19 minutes ago, Nerf said:

When was the last time you played? I picked up 2K16 after skipping a few years, and reversals are much harder now you only get one shot to press the button at the right time. Yes, eventually you pick up the timing, but it's more difficult than when you were just able to spam R2 and pretty much reverse everything.

16 is the first one I've played by 2K. Its just a bit pants. It looks lovely but its all style of substance, the matches just feel... off.

My favourite thing about any Fire Pro game was playing one of the SNES ones, doing a Piledriver close to the ropes, and my guy rolling off after hitting the move, falling out of the ring, landing on his head on the floor and getting counted out. Hell of a finish.

• Like 4