Download Festival: 2012

Stevie B

Two people had Brazil flags that I saw. Someone also came to the Fozzy gig dressed as CM Punk, trunks and all.

I had a great time but the weather was RIDICULOUS. So much rain on the first few days, our gazebo blew away into a field and then our tents outer layer was blown off by the wind, and then I somehow got sunburn on Sunday!

Also, the crush at Metallica during Hit the Lights has rendered me pretty much unable to walk. But it was an awesome weekend. The YES! chants were going the whole week, I even got one guy shout it at me just for wearing a Fozzy shirt on Sunday.

Two people had Brazil flags that I saw. Someone also came to the Fozzy gig dressed as CM Punk, trunks and all.

I had a great time but the weather was RIDICULOUS. So much rain on the first few days, our gazebo blew away into a field and then our tents outer layer was blown off by the wind, and then I somehow got sunburn on Sunday!

Also, the crush at Metallica during Hit the Lights has rendered me pretty much unable to walk. But it was an awesome weekend. The YES! chants were going the whole week, I even got one guy shout it at me just for wearing a Fozzy shirt on Sunday.

Me too, I blame it on falling to sleep during Lamb of God and not waking up until the end of Megadeth <_<

Missed Fozzy due to oversleeping, which was a shame, but other than that I saw everyone I wanted to and no-one disappointed. Sabbath were much better than I expected, despite the fact that Ozzy couldn't walk more than the width of the drum kit without getting knackered. Great weekend, shame about the weather.

Was probably the worst Download I've been to all things considered. I hate being that guy, but the weather really made the whole thing unenjoyable for the most part. I ended up sleeping in the back of our van every single night because I was afraid to brave the elements. Things took a turn for the worse when the arena opened an hour late on Friday. Missed the start of Quireboys but the rest of their set was pretty good. Things got worse when Europe cancelled and they didn't actually tell us until thirty minutes after they were supposed to start, despite setting their equipment up anyway. I know it's not their fault, but there wasn't even any compensation ala 2008 when Kid Rock wouldn't go on stage so Judas Priest got an extra hour or whatever. Little Angels were pretty good. By the time I saw Machine Head I just wanted to fucking sit down which, of course, was impossible because of the mud. Slash was cool, as always, but the conditions at that point had me excited for the end of his set so I could just fuck off and lie down somewhere.

Saturday started off well with a good show from Fozzy and some surprisingly edible Chinese noodles from one of the vans, notable located next to the portaloos. Yay hygiene! Ginger Wildheart is still rockin', though not anything new from what his actual band does. I found a dry spot and chilled out for Turbonegro, then stumbled across some old friends in the crowd so that made things a little more enjoyable. Ended up just hitting the bar and barely paying attention to Steel Panther. Their schtick is really boring now. Sort of wandered around during Tenacious D without paying attention but Killswitch fucking rocked. They sound so much better now that Jesse is back. I'll be the one to say it - Metallica fucking sucked. I left halfway through their set because I was just bored out of my mind.

Things looked a little brighter when I woke up on Sunday so my hopes were high, especially because Sunday was really the only day with more than a handful of bands I wanted to see. Was at the bar during Stellar Revival but they sounded cool from a distance, but I wasn't paying that much attention. Devildriver were the same as always, nothing amazing but cool to just sit back and listen to from the field. The grass was finally dry so I was able to do that at long last. I went to check out Heaven's Basement because they're a local band and it's cool to see they've made it this far, though it only took them like, 7 fucking years or something and they still aren't exactly anywhere close to "making" it. Reckless Love sucked as expected so I fucked off somewhere else but I can't remember where. Anthrax were the band of the weekend by miles. They always rock it when I see them, and they didn't disappoint this time either. I really, really wanted to go see Rival Sons but I feel I made the right decision. Black Label were disappointing and that sucks because they're probably one of my favourite bands. Ugly Kid Joe sucked. Finally it was time for Megadeth and I was stoked. I've seen them like a million times but it's fucking Megadeth and I adore them. Right from the start I could see that something wasn't right with Dave, he looked unwell. He coughed when he started talking after the first song, so my suspicions were confirmed. His voice was fucked and that ruined the set. The band rocked, but it was kind of sad to see him trying to really hard but being unable to reach any notes without croaking. Major props for giving it a go and not cancelling, though. Soundgarden were kinda disappointing really, I like their stuff but they just bored me live. Sabbath came a close second to Anthrax, but who wasn't expecting that?

I hate bitching about these things but everything was shit this year. The weather was abysmal, the bands were disappointing and now I'm tired, hungry, cranky, sunburnt and generally a little bitch about everything >_>

Yeah I was only a few people behind the CM Punk in trunks guy. Saw a few Brazil flags on the screen. I ended up writing 'Jericho' across mine.

The weather was bad, but ive done so many festivals, so I was well prepared with a good rain jacket and a whole load of ponchos, along with a strong tent.

I do have two damaged knees though, since everyone though it would be a good idea to go in the fun house completely wasted.

Apart from Black Sabbath, I would actully have to say Chase & Status were my favourite act. So SO good.

Download started sucking a few years ago. They changed the layout and the style of the crowd areas and it lost a lot of the magic. I've not been in 3 years admittedly but the year before that sucked and very few people I know who've gone since have enjoyed it as much as they used to.

Live and learn... next time, a solid rain jacket and waterproof trousers, then you're laughing.

Had my sleeping nailed too. Wore dry hoodie & trakkies, hood up and all snug in my sleeping bag with an emergency blanket over the top. I was blessed one of my neighbours gave me his punctured airbed, which made for an outstanding ground mat more than anything. I usually just put an emergency blanket down. You loose so much warmth from the ground, no matter how much you wrap up.

The wind was the worst thing, nearly wrecked our entire campsite. The rain was manageable but not great, and it made the conditions of the entire festival utterly horrendous. So I know where Nerf is coming from. I kind of felt like it was balancing it out as my previous two festivals have been blisteringly hot for all but one day when it slung it down.

last time i went was in 2009, and I can admit it has lost alot of its charm. Probably because i can no longer tolerate morons who think shouting SLAYER at the the top of their lungs is what being "metal" is about. Grew out of it I suppose.

Would of still loved to see Sabbath this year mind.