Download Festival: 2012

Stevie B

poster-800-no-header.png

Seem's to be the most popular festival amongst EWB. This is looking to be my first Download. After doing Reading many times and Sonisphere, think it's time to give Download a go.

The Prodigy, Tenacious D, Metallica, Chase & Status, You me at Six, Soundgarden and Biffy. It's all looking good to me so far.

Who's going this year?

Yes, them. For the last few years Download's logic has been "the old bands sell well!", so they just throw any old shit at the wall. If you haven't been relevant since the '80s or '90s - and in some cases you were barely relevant then - Download will book you.

Old bands do sell well, but surely only old bands who sold well when they weren't old. It's not even like they have become cult like and more important. I thought they had... well done whatever it is bands do when they disappear into obscurity (not that they ever got out of obscurity). It strikes me as really weird you would put them on advertising materials. Would they sell a single ticket? Like were they popular over there? Beyond the cover I don't think I heard a thing.

Yes, them. For the last few years Download's logic has been "the old bands sell well!", so they just throw any old shit at the wall. If you haven't been relevant since the '80s or '90s - and in some cases you were barely relevant then - Download will book you.

Excellent! I can't wait to play Download.

Old bands do sell well, but surely only old bands who sold well when they weren't old. It's not even like they have become cult like and more important. I thought they had... well done whatever it is bands do when they disappear into obscurity (not that they ever got out of obscurity). It strikes me as really weird you would put them on advertising materials. Would they sell a single ticket? Like were they popular over there? Beyond the cover I don't think I heard a thing.

Download poster advertises every single band that plays. Big, small, good, shit.

Okay then, having them as part of your first announcement is a bit shit then. I didn't pay attention to the whole "more bands to follow" part. But I would have just sort of snuck them in once there was enough bands that they weren't noticeable.

If the setlist for Auckland, NZ is anything to go by, SG fans are in for a treat.

(For those too lazy to click or unable to view, check it:

1. Searching With My Good Eye Closed

2. Spoonman

3. Let Me Drown

4. Jesus Christ Pose

5. Outshined

6. Rusty Cage

7. Blow Up the Outside World

8. The Day I Tried To Live

9. My Wave

10. Ugly Truth

11. Fell On Black Days

12. Drawing Flies

13. Ty Cobb

14. Black Hole Sun

15. Room A Thousand Years Wide

16. Slaves & Bulldozers

You'll likely get close to half that, since I'm guessing they'll get 45-60 mins. or so. Still, that's a tasty meatball.

If the setlist for Auckland, NZ is anything to go by, SG fans are in for a treat.

(For those too lazy to click or unable to view, check it:

1. Searching With My Good Eye Closed

2. Spoonman

3. Let Me Drown

4. Jesus Christ Pose

5. Outshined

6. Rusty Cage

7. Blow Up the Outside World

8. The Day I Tried To Live

9. My Wave

10. Ugly Truth

11. Fell On Black Days

12. Drawing Flies

13. Ty Cobb

14. Black Hole Sun

15. Room A Thousand Years Wide

16. Slaves & Bulldozers

You'll likely get close to half that, since I'm guessing they'll get 45-60 mins. or so. Still, that's a tasty meatball.

They'll get 1hr minimum I'd have thought. Never been to Download but I can't imagine subs getting much less than that.

If they get 90 mins., they can do that entire setlist. Truthfully, I wouldn't change a thing about it, so hopefully they can go an hour and a half.

Main support slot usually get 90 mins to 1hr 45.

• Like 1

Next announcement is February 1st, with at least 11 more bands being added. They have also put back the deadline for 'cheap' (ie last year's priced) tickets to the 2nd so people can see that announcement first.

Sweet. Most of the festivals I've seen only allowed up to 60 mins. if you weren't the headliner. When System of a Down replaced Ozzy as the headliners during Sharon's chemo treatment (Ozzfest 2002), then they got 90.

Kirkland couldn't walk for days afterwards and lost 74 pounds.

• Like 3