Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

This fucking game.

I spent all that time conquering Andalusia and Portugal as Moorish Muslims.

Then I died.

What followed was the most ridonkulous civil war ever as basically every single vassal I had rebelled.

Holy balls.

• Like 3

God dammit. I wish there was a.. for babies mode in this game.

I can't get my head around it.

Do the tutorial...and make sure you have a really good mentor. I had one of the best, and i'm really digging the game. I had to stop playing at one point not for any normal reason (needed food/bed/rest for eyes) but simply because HOLY BALLS EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING~!

Question time!

Reading TEOL's Crusader Kings II diary thingy in The Cube has got me interested in playing this game. I'm curious as to how long it'll take someone who normally doesn't play strategy games to understand the game to a reasonable level? a.k.a "How long will it take me to understand and master the basic mechanics of the game?"

To be honest I feel Total War is easier for beginners but this isn't impossible if given enough time but don't expect to jump right in.

God dammit. I wish there was a.. for babies mode in this game.

I can't get my head around it.

Do the tutorial...and make sure you have a really good mentor. I had one of the best, and i'm really digging the game.

He means me.

Well, I read the tutorials and then started out. I started as a small court just to get the hang of it, swore fealty to the Swedish king and watched him get instantly into a war with Uppland. A few straglers came near me.. I raised an army and then sent them out to wipe 'em out. I wish the game would've noticed this.. I figured I would get some kind of increase on the king's "liking me" meter. But eh.

Liking it so far, not nearly as daunting as I thought.. but yeah, the prospect of having more power is kind of scary.

When you get into a bit, it's good to do what most of us did. Start in Ireland. You can take your time to become King there, and get used to holding more lands and taking lands that way. Then you can expand out quite easily. It's a good learning place, tbh.

I should've done that instead of Spain. But the Moors aren't terribly complicated--particularly the Abbadids, who have a few smaller places they can claim easily. Just be sure to crank out a lot of kids and form marriage alliances; it makes dealing with the Christians easier.

So I picked this up yesterday - mainly for the GoT mod - but I've been playing the base game as a way to teach myself the ropes... and stuff went to hell fast before I stopped for the night.

I was playing a game in Ireland. At one point, I tried having another leader be assassinated; it failed, and I was assassinated shortly afterward. My closest heir was my oldest son, who I had recently imprisoned for instigating a plot to have me killed. So that son took over my land, but due to me still not quite understanding how to fix up things in the line of succession, my second-oldest son took over the other area I held.

I ended up capturing the second son and executing him at six years old, winning me back those lands... but I was then killed shortly thereafter by an assassin.

The CK2+ Shattered Worlds mod is quite good, everyone starts as a one province Earl.

Plus, you can play as Earl Brooklyn Buuser of York, first of the Dixie dynasty.

What's the best place to get mods/conversions and how easy are they to install? Seemingly easy since the game allows you to select what you want to run from the start.

Also - is there a LOTR mod out there?

Best place to get them is the official forums at http://forum.paradoxplaza.com (although you have to sign up IIRC). I don't think there is a LOTR mod though.