Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

Charlemagne didn't found the Holy Roman Empire. That was Otto the Great in 962. Otto wasn't even a Carolingian.

Charlemagne was King of the Franks, King of the Lombards and was crowned (possibly against his will) 'Imperator', Emperor, but not Holy Roman Empire.

Plus his power base was not in Germany, but largely Frankish and although his capital Aachen is in Germany today, it is on the border with Alsace-Lorraine.

You disappoint me Paradox. :/

I guess their point is reasonable. Maybe it could be worded better than you seem to suggest - I can't view the trailer so I can't see exactly what they're saying. But the crowning of Otto as HRE was an attempt to legitimise him as a successor to Charlemagne. So I guess in a way you could say Charlemagne founded the HRE, or at least that he founded the concept.

• Like 1

Playing this properly for once. No cheats. Using the Historical Improvements Mod(s) as the King of Galicia. Imminent threats when you start: the powerful Duke of Porto and all of your family. Your two brothers are kings of Castille and Leon. Two of your cousins rule Navarra and Aragon. Oh and Spain is full of Muslims who want to kill you.

Formed and gave the Duchy of Beira to one of my more powerful counts to counter the Duke of Porto and also put clergy focus on taxes rather than levy (in HIP you can decide whether you nobles, burghers and clergy vassals are focussed more on troops or more on cities. Nobles start on only troops, burghers only taxes and clergy in the middle) to increase revenue flow (troop numbers aren't an issue when I can call 4+ kings into my wars).

Grabbed some land off the Muslims, then some nutter count with a lot less money, troops and allies than me declared a war to get my uncle made king. The bastard. I was beating him quite handily on my own (retinues are godly) until my own brother declared war on me. The King of Leon. Fucking middle child. So I called my allies and it ended up me and my other brother (king of Castille) against the King of Leon and one of cousins, the King of Aragon (the King of Navarra stayed neutral like the craven little bitch he is). I won, in the end. The King of Leon lost his claim on my throne, I beat the rebellion and took one of his two counties, and His Popiness loves me.

Also got involved in a war with France when they made an Anti-Pope. Myself, Castille, Aragon and Navarra (and the Papacy) against France. We won that too. My troops return home, I disband the levies... and then a heresy appears in Leon leading to rebellion and the loss of one of their counties (which I then pick up). And just a few months later... there's another heretical rebellion, and this one is dominating Leon. They've taken the capital and like three counties. Wondering what'll happen when Leon surrenders... a weakened heretical state with some prime real estate? I will take some of that action.

Edit: Just had some good news! And some bad news. Bad news is my 1 year old heir just died of pneumonia. Good news is Castille is already eyeing part of Leon and has started a war over Avilia! Yay! And boo!

• 3 weeks later...

I am terrible at this. I can't get the hang of attacking people, I don't even know what I'm meant to for it. It took me an hour to figure out how to actually get my army to appear :P

Anyone able to give me a quick idea of what I'm meant to be doing? The in-game tutorial didn't really help me, but I'm probably just being an idiot for some of it..

Oh good, that makes me feel better.

Seriously though, I've played two games so far, both doing the Clash of Kings scenario on the GoT mod.

Game 1: I was Robb Stark. I didn't know how to actually use my army, so the Lannisters gradually closed in on me whilst Theon Greyjoy raided the other side. I somehow married one of Walder Frey's daughters, then accidentally started a plot to assassinate her, they got tipped off, and then Stannis invaded, having conquered the Lannisters whilst I was doing fuck all, and he sent me to the Night's Watch.

Game 2: I was Stannis Baratheon. Got my army to appear, killed off the Lannisters. random little county things started going independent, so I lost territory. Tried to take one of them back, defeated the army. Got challenged to a trial by combat and got killed.

Not having any form of success so far <_<