Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

• 2 weeks later...

Start as a King. It's much easier to get a handle on the game if you start as, say, the King of England. Generally King starts are the easiest, then Duke, then the most difficult is usually playing as a single-county Count.

Also, if you don't mind watching videos, Arumba has some decent how-to/newbie guides. In particular, the guides on attribute growth, education traits, casus belli & claims, and the supply & attrition guides are pretty useful.

• Like 2

Never played or even read about the game before, I just know you guys like it, and saw it cheap. Probably going to play tonight - tips for an absolute newbie?

Check out some LP's. Read TEOLs in the Cube if you can find it, it's a pretty decent starting point and gives you a good idea of what to do. There's also this Let's Play that I followed, though CK2 has had a ton of updates so a lot of stuff isn't quite as up to date as you might like.

Overall, just prepare to be crushed, though. Game is hard as hell.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Game of Thrones mod is now ridiculously detailed.

For a start, Essos is now included so you can play as Dany, I'm currently sacking Yunkai with my Unsullied.

Renly just won the Iron Throne and executed Joffrey, Cersei and Tyrion.

Obviously in shock at the death of his daughter, son and grandson, Tywin took up gardening.

• Like 2

It keeps raining shit on Tywin, Jamie was just killed in trial by combat by Sandor Clegane.

The Hound then celebrated his freedom by marrying Sansa Stark. o_O

Edit: Aaaand Renly's dead. Long live one year old Queen Elyn Baratheon of the Iron Throne.

Yeah, the mod is wonderful. The absolute best part is how story oriented it ends up being with Dany, which is way better than just chucking you in with the Unsullied.

I've yet to see anyone otherthrow the Iron Throne yet, though. Most surprising game thus far featured Stannis bending the knee to Joffrey and crushing Renly's forces for him.

Dany's 42 and still hasn't tamed a dragon.

She did marry Quentyn Martell though and give birth to a son.

It's weird because after conquering Mereen I guess you're meant to end up in a war with Yunkai and Astapor, but when I took the throne, both were being overthrown in slave rebellions so never declared war and I can't declare war on them because they've abolished slavery.

And for anyone saying that adding India is stupid...

People actually say that? India has a really incredible history.

I think a lot of people's objections stem down to two things: 1. A lot of the game, whilst not broken, is very shallow and 2. Paradox did say no map expansions (they have put some qualifiers on that iirc, maybe until certain parts of the game are more developed - which brings us back to point 1).