Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

You seriously can't fathom how a mod introducing characters, houses and a world from a book/show that someone is familiar with would be more interesting to someone than the rulers of the world circa 1066 that that average person will have no idea about?

I can understand why it might appeal more to some people, and it makes me despair.

If you weren't so ignorant of the time period (which isn't an excuse) you'd realise that what is has to offer is waaaaaaaay better than anything you'd find on Game of Thrones.

If you don't care about the history that's all very well and good, but why play the game then. :/

Well, for starters, I wasn't saying I didn't care about history, just that I understand why it'd be more appealing to plenty of people.

Secondly, I dunno, the core gameplay mechanics that the entire game is based around? That's mostly what I play this game for.

In other news, I was doing really well in todays game. I totally kicked the asses of Thomond, but when I went to offer peace, I realized I'd already been offered peace. So I took that peace instead of offering it and found myself unable to revoke his title for Thomond. Then whilst he was locked away, he died and the title passed on to his brother, leaving me without the ability to revoke it. Then an army destroyed me whilst I got ready to invade again. (I'm not remotely sure what army it was, though. Don't think it was Thomonds. >_>)

• Like 1

Just recently invested in The Old Gods DLC and jesus, trying to get anywhere as a nothing Norse chief is like pulling teeth. Them kings are god damned ruthless. I finally got my army size up enough to be a threat and I decided to go raid Wales to build up some "Oh shit" money just in case I needed some cheap mercs or something. The king turns around and demands my capital for me, I tell him to fuck off, and he shows up with 5000+ troops and takes my ass to school.

With my power base broken, the asshole just kept revoking my titles from me until I realized I had absolutely no chance in hell of getting anywhere anymore.

Plus the asshole chucked both my character and my eldest son in prison. So I tipped my hat to him and started a new game.

I actually do play plenty of historically themed games and I'd even messed about with the vanilla CKII game as the King of Poland(among others) but before I'd settled with any one ruler in particular, I read this amazing GOT diary from some guy on Pc Gamer and it made me want to try the mod out.

Just recently invested in The Old Gods DLC and jesus, trying to get anywhere as a nothing Norse chief is like pulling teeth. Them kings are god damned ruthless. I finally got my army size up enough to be a threat and I decided to go raid Wales to build up some "Oh shit" money just in case I needed some cheap mercs or something. The king turns around and demands my capital for me, I tell him to fuck off, and he shows up with 5000+ troops and takes my ass to school.

With my power base broken, the asshole just kept revoking my titles from me until I realized I had absolutely no chance in hell of getting anywhere anymore.

Plus the asshole chucked both my character and my eldest son in prison. So I tipped my hat to him and started a new game.

My brief foray as a minor Byzantine vassal ended the game even quicker. Start the game and things okay, I've been named chancellor and the emperor loves me, I get married, have a son before an unfortunate accident cripples and kills me. Regent gets embroiled in revolt against emperor, 4 year old boy imprisoned and castrated... New game time.

Edited by lanky316

I forget the specifics, but I remember one of my games of this back in the day, I was the King of Ireland, and I married the Queen of Scotland... so my kid ended up being heir to both, so when I died and became my son, should I feel bad that I plotted sucessfully to have my mother murdered, so I would have her throne asap?

I am tempted to reinstall this, I haven't installed since getting my new PC, but I have over 100 hrs played and I still suck. >.<

I forget the specifics, but I remember one of my games of this back in the day, I was the King of Ireland, and I married the Queen of Scotland... so my kid ended up being heir to both, so when I died and became my son, should I feel bad that I plotted sucessfully to have my mother murdered, so I would have her throne asap?

I am tempted to reinstall this, I haven't installed since getting my new PC, but I have over 100 hrs played and I still suck. >.<

How do you get them to marry you?!

Usually they refuse because they are too high in the line of succession or something.

So if you are King David II of Scotland, having King Edward III of England declaring war on you in your first few months is a bad thing yes? :facepalm:

I've actually taken the isle of man and Ulster off England! King Eddie has taken my wife prisoner though :(

How do you get them to marry you?!

Usually they refuse because they are too high in the line of succession or something.

Female Queens (where?) notoriously badly coded in CK2. You can/could easily marry your King off to a Queen without any heirs, and because they don't secure the Queendom by changing crown laws they pretty much hand you their Queendom over to you.

I am sure it was changed with patches and nerfed quite a bit giving Queen's a whole less reason to marry to other King's, but I am sure you can still screw yourself into owning the world... Especially if you are an Emperor.

What do you guys do with marriages? I'm starting to think I should just do whatever I need to keep my claims in Ireland, it's a lot easier to deal with a brother trying to usurp me rather than Wales suddenly saying "Uh, hey, I'm pretty sure those counties you think you own are mine..." because 60 years ago I married some nephew off to them.

I think next time I need to act a little quicker and take the side of the county nearest Wales to try and avoid them taking it. From there I can expand inwards and worry less about being conquered by bullshit claims. From there I'm not sure how to act though, logically I guess I'd try and take a piece of England, seeing as they're in civil war most of the time. Though I get the feeling I'd have a big problem on my hands when England struck back. I do love that in this game when everything goes wrong, EVERYTHING goes wrong. Last time I was stopping an uprising from my brother, who'd claimed half my lands. Whilst I was weak, Wales struck and claimed another of my counties. It's a good thing I had a ton of money for mercenaries or I'd have lost everything.