Paradox games but definitely NOT GAMES OF THRONE

METALMAN

So yeah, that save is basically ruined.

Stannis died, and Shireen took the throne. Her apparent successor was Tommen Lannister, who apparently got forgotten about when Stannis was burning the entire Lannister family, and like fuck was I having them back on the throne. Championed Renly, who was third in the line of succession, for the throne so we could keep a Baratheon there for longer. Shireen stood down and Renly took the throne. Easy.

Around now, the Night's Watch asked for help against the wildlings for the second time, which being Northmen, we of course said yes to, but with the Lannisters pissed that Tommen got skipped over and declaring war, that was the more pressing matter.

Then everything went wrong.

I'd wrongfully assumed that the Watch could hold off the Wildlings as they did before, especially now that Jon Snow was leading them. Wrong. The Night's Watch fell, and Mance Rayder took it over. And with no Night's Watch to stall them, guess who decided to invade as all my troops were fighting Lannister soldiers down south?

Yep. White Walkers. I had no soldiers near enough and the ones who could get there were horribly hindered by the harsh winter conditions, and they swept through pretty much the whole of Westeros systematically from there. The only ones unaffected are the Iron Islands, who went independent, because apparently, Ice Men can't use boats. Westeros was basically ruined, so it's all gone to shit.

• Like 1

I've held them off before. But as they were crushing my provinces before I could get my men back up to fight them, I was losing out on reinforcement levies that could have been used to fight them, meaning I basically had no chance.

One game they arrived whilst the realm was at peace, so I just marched the entire north up and slaughtered the lot of them.

So...during peace time in the GoT mod...what should you be doing?

Edit: Or any peace time really. Most of the time I'm trying to get claims on lands and then warring. Surely there is a different way to become the ruler of a land?

I mostly fabricate claims and go to war. I'll pump any gold I make into improving my capital stronghold, giving it more reinforcements for when I do go to war. Other than that, I usually just have more kids, marry them off for political reasons, and try and get better traits.

So, I am playing as Ireland (as I am known to do). I took it over, no big deal. But then I took part in the crusades against Lithuania. We won. And since I contributed the most to the war, I gained all of it....holy crap. I went from 5 holdings to 32.

Edit: Although...that brings a lot of revolts. Lame! But, on the plus side, most of my vassals like me.

So, I am playing as Ireland (as I am known to do). I took it over, no big deal. But then I took part in the crusades against Lithuania. We won. And since I contributed the most to the war, I gained all of it....holy crap. I went from 5 holdings to 32.

Edit: Although...that brings a lot of revolts. Lame! But, on the plus side, most of my vassals like me.

That's pretty awesome. I once won a Holy War when I was Kingdom of Sicily (Apulia start), and earned the Kingdom of Jerusalem. It was so hefty and insanely big I resorted to giving it to my second son who after 30 years got crushed by the Kebab horde who wanted it back, but it was nice to see me be on the winning side of these things for a change.

It's a dodgy system though, if you're a big nation and you go hard into these Holy War's it's not hard to come out as the winner every single time.

Kebab horde? :huh:

Sometimes I forget i'm not on Reddit/Paradox Forums. Kebab is a term coined to mention the general muslim group of people in CK2. Since they change names everytime a new dynasty appears, it gets confusing to name them Abassid or whatever because if the Abassid loses the throne another name is replaced.

Another term is ''muslim clowncar'' which was basically an early vanilla term for the huge amount of marriage ties the Muslim's had and could easily summon 20K deathstacks on your 2K empire like it was nothing, every single time. They nerfed the marriage ties for the Muslim's a bit and made it harder for them to call in every single member of their family into a war.

• Like 1