Board Game thread

On 29/04/2020 at 19:32, apsham said:

Remember how I was kind of getting into this hobby when I was posting here last?

Yeah it got of got away on me. As of my last count I'm on well over a hundred games.

If I had the space for it, I'd be doing the exact same thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

If I had the space for it, I'd be doing the exact same thing. 

To be fair, I have a general rule of buying now and I think I have it pretty down pat.

I tend to only have a few things of each category or type of board game - with a few prolific ones breaking the mold. A lot of them are expansions or things along those lines and then from there if I haven't touched something in a while I usually put it up for sale for a fair price to put towards... checking out something else.

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Thrillhauus

This is my account, I'm trying to update it to include stuff that I previously owned and sold, etc.

On 30/04/2020 at 00:32, apsham said:

Remember how I was kind of getting into this hobby when I was posting here last?

Yeah it got of got away on me. As of my last count I'm on well over a hundred games.

Good lad!

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/HamsterOfFury

6 hours ago, apsham said:

To be fair, I have a general rule of buying now and I think I have it pretty down pat.

I tend to only have a few things of each category or type of board game - with a few prolific ones breaking the mold. A lot of them are expansions or things along those lines and then from there if I haven't touched something in a while I usually put it up for sale for a fair price to put towards... checking out something else.

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Thrillhauus

This is my account, I'm trying to update it to include stuff that I previously owned and sold, etc.

What did you think of those Exit games? I've played one. My group was a bit hesitant, but once we got into it we had a blast!

9 hours ago, Toe said:

What did you think of those Exit games? I've played one. My group was a bit hesitant, but once we got into it we had a blast!

We love them, probably have some more than those in ones too.

Best size is 2-4 and everyone should be engaged. We did five players once and two people were not into it and the discussion on the puzzles wasn’t great. Have done a lot of them two player but I think 3 is the sweet spot.

The Adventure series they have is great too! Plays like Myst or another old styled adventure/puzzle game come to life.

1 minute ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

We should have a board game night during all of this. Not entirely sure of what all is available on line, but I would be down to play with folks.

I actually have some great ideas for that!

I have a premium account on Board Game Arena so I can start/host any of the game types on there! I would recommend playing Incan Gold, 6 Nimmit, Can't Stop, For Sale, Sushi Go, Red 7 or other simple games along those lines.

I find this a bit better in some cases than Tabletopia (which I also have an account at) because it's just web versions of games... not a drag and drop sandbox so it's easier to learn the games and enforce rules.

• Like 1

Oh! Two things that I just remembered I wanted to call out.

@Dan B. I picked up Horrified this week and we loved the first game. We played the suggested game and we LITERALLY won on the final move of the FINAL turn, last defeating the Creature. It was exciting the whole time and only worked out because I was stuck at the camp trying to find his hideout, while the girlfriend had The Courier and could run out and then instantly come back to bring me the tiles I needed to get down the path.

@K Rivals for Catan was pretty awesome too! I got the base set and both of the expansions and we're working out way through that.

Our current obsession is this.

914RTHzIuJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Along with all three expansions that are currently out for it. Amazing gameplay, and I'm really pissed that I thought it was just going to be a licensed garbage game without any depth. Every character plays just a little bit different, and you can even see hints of gameplay from other much bigger and deeper games. Highly recommended, very highly.

2 hours ago, apsham said:

@K Rivals for Catan was pretty awesome too! I got the base set and both of the expansions and we're working out way through that.

we tried one of the expansions the other day (City of gold?) and the game really opened up. looking forward to trying another one.

3 minutes ago, K said:

we tried one of the expansions the other day (City of gold?) and the game really opened up. looking forward to trying another one.

Ahh yeah, that’s the first one that comes with the base set I think, yeah? Every one of them changes the game and the style you can play to win - so that’s pretty neat.

1 hour ago, apsham said:

Ahh yeah, that’s the first one that comes with the base set I think, yeah? Every one of them changes the game and the style you can play to win - so that’s pretty neat.

The instructions that we got in our version aren't the best. We have one set that has all the expansions included, and it took us a good seven or eight games of the base set to work out what everything does. Some of the cards are pretty weird.

On 09/05/2020 at 19:11, apsham said:

Oh! Two things that I just remembered I wanted to call out.

@Dan B. I picked up Horrified this week and we loved the first game. We played the suggested game and we LITERALLY won on the final move of the FINAL turn, last defeating the Creature. It was exciting the whole time and only worked out because I was stuck at the camp trying to find his hideout, while the girlfriend had The Courier and could run out and then instantly come back to bring me the tiles I needed to get down the path.

The Creature FTBL has been our most problematic monster too; he has that annoying tendancy to "rock the boat" to send the boat marker back and make us have to collect more items.  The Mummy's scarab puzzle can also be annoying when on a time crunch, but for us the Creature takes the cake.

We once tried to do a "Monster Squad" game with each of us playing two characters vs. Dracula, Wolf Man, Mummy and Creature, but it didn't go so well - just too much to deal with in the time constraint.  Fun to try though.  It might've actually worked better if we stuck with just one character each, since then the monsters would only be getting half as many moves.  

In a similar vein we've also been playing a lot of Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein lately (my lady's a Frankenstein enthusiast and is actually currently writing a new stage adaptation of the original novel).  The premise of this game is a direct sequel to the original novel, and has players tasked by Frankenstein's monster to create a companion for it, before Captain Walton closes in.  (In timeline it's comparable to Bride of Frankenstein, but much more in line with Mary Shelley's original work than James Whale's).  To do that you have to conduct research and collect body parts and other resources to gradually build your creature and bring it to life, while trying to maintain your own humanity (or not...)  It's definitely not for the squeamish as some of the artwork and text descriptions are very grisly, but if you're into worker-placement games it's another good one. 

91iOZwo5h6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

One I recently picked up and haven't played yet, but hope to soon, is Expedition: Northwest Passage, which plays into my pet interest in polar exploration.  It involves resource management and a Carcassonne-like mapbuilding mechanic to give, from what I've seen in gameplay videos, a pretty accurate representation of dealing with the conditions those searching for the Passage and the Franklin Expedition had to deal with.

-cixpP0vJTmvd7_944B3jK7w3Vd8Z3w-DFcFh_oS

Finally, more on topic to EWB at large, I also just got Luchador: Mexican Wrestling Dice, which I'll hopefully get to soon as it looks like a whole lot of fun.  It even comes with a little 3D ring you can put together to roll your dice in!  
luchador-mexican-wrestling-dice.jpg

Edited by Dan B.

@apsham Villainous is amazing, my girlfriend and I picked it up with the expansions last month after playing it at a friend's house and we love it. There's a Marvel expansion with another 5 characters coming this year at some point, or there was before the world broke anyway.

3 hours ago, Jericode said:

@apsham Villainous is amazing, my girlfriend and I picked it up with the expansions last month after playing it at a friend's house and we love it. There's a Marvel expansion with another 5 characters coming this year at some point, or there was before the world broke anyway.

I saw that! But from what I gather it’s more of it’s own thing and you can’t mix it with the Disney ones sadly.

luchador-mexican-wrestling-dice.jpg

Update: we played our first round of Luchador: Mexican Wrestling Dice today, with a best-two-of-three falls match between Bam Bam En Fuego and Anita Dinamita.  The gameplay is pretty simple; four "wrestling dice" are rolled to determine what happens in each round of the match; every unblocked "hit" result or successful counter allows you a roll of the Hit die to score damage.  If you have two hit die rolls, you can trade them for a roll with the Lucha die, which allows you to perform one of your wrestler's signature moves (or crash and burn).  If you roll a "pin" result on the wrestling dice and the opponent's health is low enough, after hits are scored you can then try rolling the Pin die, which can either let you go for a pin (opponent has three chances to save to represent the three-count), play to the crowd for a health boost, or if you're unlucky, the opponent can reverse the pin attempt!  The game comes with both a flat play board for quick games or a snap-together 3D ring to roll your dice in, and there are 9 colorful fictional luchadors and luchadoras to pick from, each with their own strengths and weaknesses (for instance, the giant dog-masked El Perrito deals bonus damage if he lands a forearm smash or chokehold, but is too heavy to to dropkicks and they count as misses if rolled).  There's also rules for tag matches (either two players using two characters each, or four players on two teams) and a few other variations.  Also, one of the luchadoras is named "Ay Yi Yi Dolores," which needs to be somebody's actual ring name yesterday.

Our Bam Bam En Fuego vs. Anita Dinamita match ended up coming down to the wire as, in the third fall, Bam Bam kept falling off the ropes and stunning himself while going for his flying moves via bad rolls and taking Anita's hits, but Bam Bam was ultimately able to hit his "Rain of Fire" signature move (from the written description, it seems to be a quebrada/Lionsault) for big damage, then finished Anita off by putting her through a table and scoring the pin.

Decent tabletop wrestling-themed games can be tough to come by, but this one definitely gets my recommendation.  The gameplay's fast and easy to learn, and there's lots of variety in characters and match types to keep it interesting.  Would probably be especially fun to play with a bunch of wrestling fans before watching a PPV or something.

@Dan B.

Oof. Just had our first non-tutorial game and it was still a really good time.

We decided to pull two monsters randomly and picked up the Wolf Man and The Invisible Man.

Our initial pulls were amazing, lots of blue items at the Institute and the Laboratory with me playing the Scientist and able to add +1 to items to fill out his slots easier - and the Wolfman actually ended up targeting her so I was safe to sit there, get the cure really quick and basically have the Wolf Man beat in the first few turns before the Invisible Man even moved. The rest of the game was practically a breeze at that point, we even ended up saving every single villager - but here's the thing.

I used every single Laboratory card to find the cure for the Wolf Man and we realized this as she was going around getting items to complete The Invisible Man's objective, so we literally had to hope and pray that the items ran out and THEN we could add them back to the bag and THEN we had to hope that one came out in time. It just so happened that one did, and we won the game with some luck in movement to get to him AND two cards to spare.

What a fun game.

Edited by apsham
  • Like 1

Holy fuck that looks amazing. I don't even care that I'd have nobody to play this with.