Board Game thread

Love a bit of Horrified. Pretty straight forward though can oddly be more punishing than Pandemic im the whole 'you need to plan x number of moves ahead' category. 

Played twice now. Noth agaimst Dracula and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. As a 2 player game we lost (ran out of turns) as a 3 player game we won with the very last actiom of our last turn. 

The two are co-op games but there's a mountain of complexity between them.

Spirit Island takes a bit to learn, and I like complex games but I kind of just said "eh" in the end when the Steam version came out and decided to sell my physical copy and play it there instead. Great game, but keeping track of everything and trying to remember your powers and making sure you're doing everything right was kind of a chore for me.

Horrified on the other hand was a pretty straightforward and breezy playing game that had some great variety. It's MORE similar to Pandemic - but at the same time, there are multiple new mechanics and imagine Pandemic if each virus acted WILDLY different from any of the others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While we love Blood Bowl at the local a new game seems to be taking over at the moment, Counter Attack. It's a strategic football game played in real time, it's playing really nicely and feels like a decent tabletop simulation of the sport. As we've played more games we've got used to getting through balls to work, clever set piece moves, off side traps played fairly well and we're finally adapting to playing a game without set turns in a conventional way.

We're coming up to the end of the first season, two games left and I'm sitting in second place 5 points behind the leaders who are coming to us this week (covid dependent) and I've a bit of breathing space before going into the transfer window. Given I've been struggling with a decent winger (little pace in the squad and those who do have pace have low dribbling skills meaning they can lose possession under the slightest pressure) means I know where to strengthen before next season.

It's on Tabletopia if people want to check it out.

2 hours ago, K said:

Anyone played The Crew: Quest For Planet Nine?

Yes, get it.

Absolutely wonderful co-op trick taking game and it plays great at any count. The missions are infinitely replayable and are essentially just a list of 50 different rulesets, I could sit down for a season and play just one of them and be happy.

Pretty cheap too. 

2 hours ago, apsham said:

Yes, get it.

Absolutely wonderful co-op trick taking game and it plays great at any count. The missions are infinitely replayable and are essentially just a list of 50 different rulesets, I could sit down for a season and play just one of them and be happy.

Pretty cheap too. 

We've been playing two player and finding it either too easy, or we mess up the task assignments and it becomes impossible. We're only a few missions in though. We think it will be much better with more people

27 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Has anyone played Detective? Is there much replayability?

I've only played one case, but the answer to each case is fixed (and I recall you get told the correct answers at the end of the case anyway). That said, from what I can tell its pretty easy to reset if you want to sell it off when you're done. 

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2020 at 15:32, Toe said:

King Of Tokyo is a game that's both great with kids, but also strategic enough for adults to have a ton of fun too. And Ticket To Ride is a great game regardless of age.

I never did update on this, we bought Sushi Roll, Ticket to Ride Europe and King of Tokyo in the end. We still haven't found the time for Ticket to Ride yet (a 4 year old who's bedtime has been affected by Covid weirdness hasn't helped) but King of Tokyo is really fun, so thanks again for the recommendation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/10/2020 at 07:06, Jericode said:

I've wanted to get Munchkin for my collection for a while, and by some luck just found a complete Deluxe version in a charity shop for £2.50.

We've been playing Munchkin Zombies which was a lot of fun! Dead of Winter we were playing a lot as well and it's pretty fun!

• Like 1

On 05/11/2020 at 10:40, Neil_1113 said:

We've been playing Munchkin Zombies which was a lot of fun! Dead of Winter we were playing a lot as well and it's pretty fun!

I love Dead Of Winter. I've found it both easy to teach and endlessly replayable. It's also difficult enough that it always presents a fun challenge but is not impossible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2020 at 03:55, DFF said:

Love a bit of Horrified. Pretty straight forward though can oddly be more punishing than Pandemic im the whole 'you need to plan x number of moves ahead' category. 

Played twice now. Noth agaimst Dracula and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. As a 2 player game we lost (ran out of turns) as a 3 player game we won with the very last actiom of our last turn. 

That damn Creature from the Black Lagoon is actually the one monster my GF and I haven't managed to beat yet.  Completing his boat track always takes just long enough (especially if he "rocks the boat" and sends the marker back a few times) that we always run out of time with him, after dealing with whatever other monsters were on the board.

We last played it as a distraction on election night.  Each of us with two characters (archaeologist/detective for me, I think mayor/scientist for her) vs. Mr. & Mrs. Frankenstein and Wolf Man.  We won with maybe two or three turns left, but probably took longer than we should have because we forgot til late in the game that you get to move Frankenstein's Monster and the Bride a certain number of spaces after using an item on them.

At one point I lost one of Dracula's coffins and used Ravensburger's free replacement policy to get a new one (they actually sent an entire extra punch sheet), and later found the lost original, so we've had the idea of at some point trying a game with "Super Dracula" by putting up to four extra coffins on the board at the start.

Edited by Dan B.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/08/2020 at 11:22, apsham said:

Icecool is a VERY fun dexterity game about flicking penguins around a school to collect fish to score points, with one player being the hall monitor trying to catch the others before the turns rotate. 

This is super cheap in Zatu's January sale so I think I'm going to jump on it.