Board Game thread

4 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I have never been a DM but would be so down to try. I could ask my friend to help me find a quick and easy campaign if people would be down?

I would 100% be down, but the issue may come down to time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2020 at 20:21, K said:

been playing a lot of seafarers of catan lately. 

Seafarer's is a must for Catan imo. Regular Catan is easy to master. The great spots normally get taken immediately and the board is so tiny so roads are meaningless. Brick and sheep are pretty meaningless resources in regular Catan. With my family, I usually start every game off with no access to brick and win most games. The tier list is definitely Hay > Wood > Rock > Sheep > Brick. But I put Sheep ahead cause I like to buy a couple of dev cards. I could usually predict who would win after we picked spots.

Seafarers flips the game on its head. Sheep is now the third most important resource. Ports become significantly more important on coasts where you can get to other islands. Great spots on the main island go untouched at the initial selection. It becomes a lot harder to predict who will win. Longest road can flip on a dime. It is way more fun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is my first post in this thread, and I was going to ask for advice on family games with a bit of complexity, before realising Sousa had asked the same question (with about the same aged kids) way back on page 2 in 2012...

So to shorten the question slightly, are the recommendations to him about right, or are there shiny new family games to play? We've got Dobble and Exploding Kittens which are both popular, so we're just looking for something with a bit of skill but not too heavy. I think I've sort of decided on Ticket to Ride (Europe probably) and a variant of Sushi Go/Roll (if anyone has a preference let me know) but otherwise open to suggestions. My eldest is 8 but pretty clever so we can go a bit higher than that.

There's also a bit in 2012 where Hammy is excited about Graeme Linehan wanting to play Game of Thrones, which is possibly the most badly aged post in EWB history outside of the RIP Jimmy Savile thread.

3 minutes ago, Jericode said:

No.

Hey, I know one or two people who don't like it and that's OK. One person is color blind (I am too, but not as much) and they have a real hard time with distinguishing between the different cards and routes. 

I do enjoy Ticket to Ride, but I do find that later in the game, luck is a significant factor in whether you can be successful or not in the game which is kind of a bummer. The board is not large enough that the different routes you are drawing later in the game is always going to screw you, but it has happened to me where in the second half of the game, I literally draw blanks on the available routes. 

Got Horrified recently. Only played once (narrowly lost!) but really enjoyed it. Will be interesting to see how it plays with more than two players. 

20 hours ago, Colly said:

I think this is my first post in this thread, and I was going to ask for advice on family games with a bit of complexity, before realising Sousa had asked the same question (with about the same aged kids) way back on page 2 in 2012...

So to shorten the question slightly, are the recommendations to him about right, or are there shiny new family games to play? We've got Dobble and Exploding Kittens which are both popular, so we're just looking for something with a bit of skill but not too heavy. I think I've sort of decided on Ticket to Ride (Europe probably) and a variant of Sushi Go/Roll (if anyone has a preference let me know) but otherwise open to suggestions. My eldest is 8 but pretty clever so we can go a bit higher than that.

There's also a bit in 2012 where Hammy is excited about Graeme Linehan wanting to play Game of Thrones, which is possibly the most badly aged post in EWB history outside of the RIP Jimmy Savile thread.

Here's a few things to have in mind and keep on the horizon.

Quirky Circuits goes 7+ and is a pretty neat little game about programming robots and having them complete a task. Essentially, everyone has to play cards in a line, and a certain number of cards HAVE to be played and then they're flipped over and the robot performs what was laid out. There are rules for younger kids to play some cards face up to make it a bit easier to understand, etc but it's honestly a game where even if someone fails it's kind of fun.

Carcassonne is honestly something I would say for just about anyone, especially if they don't have it in their collection.

Icecool is a VERY fun dexterity game about flicking penguins around a school to collect fish to score points, with one player being the hall monitor trying to catch the others before the turns rotate. 

My Little Scythe takes the wildy popular game Scythe and redesigns it for kids and families. It's actually pretty fun to play regardless of age because it's simplified down to "complete any four of these objectives" but it's probably the most daunting thing on this list just because of how huge it looks on a table. But if you're thinking about Ticket to Ride, they're in just about the same "weight" class in terms of complexity so you should be fine if interested.

Dungeon Drop is about taking a bunch of cubes into your hands, dropping them down onto the table and making a dungeon out of what lands. You then basically draw triangles between the different "pillars" to make walls and take everything inside, which might mean damage for you or other similar things.

Cat Rescue is a small personal favorite of mine. Comes with great component and is basically just about sliding cards off a grid in order to collect them, with only a set amount of turns to get the highest score.

That's just a few off the top of my head and in eyesight of me at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for all the suggestions, one quick extra, what sites do people tend to use, ideally UK based? I was looking on Zatu games, but if there are any others worth a glance let me know as I like a bargain...

I've used Zatu a bit. It's been good for me. I tend to keep a page loaded on my phone for the game I'm after and watch it go up and down in price until I'm happy with it.

Any online store linked to a UK games shop is also usually a good port of call. It's nice to support the brick and mortar shops and although they're usually a little more expensive, they often have a selection of games on sale or on clearance. I avoid Amazon, mostly 'cos I avoid Amazon when I can anyway.