Board Game thread

21 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

For anyone who has to play solo most of the time, consider joining yucata.de - it's an online boardgame site with loads of choices to play people online. It's where I do most of my gaming these days as you can dip in and out of your games over hours, days or even weeks, so it's less time consuming.

I’ve only really played Jaipur and Patchwork in terms of proper board games, so solo comes with less pressure of understanding new rules and spoiling the game for others. 😂

On 25/11/2022 at 13:15, apsham said:

I could blab on and on for a while, but this list here that is done yearly on Board Game Geek just ended and it takes in votes for everyone and contains opinions, and links directly to more information on the games, etc. So it's a very good place to start. Some of the games are on here as a legacy - they reeally aren't printed anymore but they have a few people that are going to vote it their favourite game forever - so it'll be on there for a while.

I personally have been playing a lot of Heat: Pedal To The Metal, Final Girl, Calico, Raiders of Scythia, Baseball Highlights: 2045, Great Western Trail, Everdell, Roll Player, Cartographers, Hadrian's Wall, Obsession, Mage Knight and Spirit Island.

...yes I mostly play solo. That or two player, and I've probably had first hand experience with the vast majority of the games on this list if any catch your eye just let us know!

Thanks I definitely will, got back in to miniature painting lately. Trying to cut down gaming as much mainly as it seems to send me to sleep half the time.(must be getting old)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, apsham said:

Castle Panic is a great game in general - I'm very excited that the second edition big box just came out, been waiting to get my hands on it for a while now. Big fan of games that take the time to slim down their mechanics for future generations of gamers to get a head start on.

Yeah, she has loved it. I got the request again tonight "Daddy can we play my castle game?" - so of course we did, and we won! I think we are like 2-3 or 2-4 so far. I am so enjoying seeing her learn about being patient, the order of taking a turn, and watching her hamster wheel turn when she is weighing what to do on her turn. I've been encouraging good decisions but trying to not say much at all for most turns and letting her do her own thing and learn from what happens. Has been a ton of fun!

What is new or changed in the second edition?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Santa Claws said:

Yeah, she has loved it. I got the request again tonight "Daddy can we play my castle game?" - so of course we did, and we won! I think we are like 2-3 or 2-4 so far. I am so enjoying seeing her learn about being patient, the order of taking a turn, and watching her hamster wheel turn when she is weighing what to do on her turn. I've been encouraging good decisions but trying to not say much at all for most turns and letting her do her own thing and learn from what happens. Has been a ton of fun!

They went and made the art a bit more standardized across versions and quite a bit upgraded from how it was originally, and also added a new expansion that is in that art style I do believe - this is the base box for the new second edition.

https://firesidegames.com/product/castle-panic-second-edition/

I went ahead and got the second edition big box - so it'll store everything and come with all three original expansions, some promo cards/towers and the new expansion as well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Santa Claws said:

This sound's a lot of fun.

So very heartwarming to read in a way, and see the knowledge you are trying to teach her and the lesson's learned. It will probably be something the little Krabs remember and install into their own krabs in time.

You can never underestimate how much you learn from board game's and the amount of good memories that we store from playing them with the people that mean the most to us.

Often fondly remember a game of Snake's and Ladders. Monopoly. Draughts. Etc. Etc.

More often than not it was with my grandmother. But do remember when we had game night's when I was a child and all the family where happy. You carry those memories always in life. Sure we all have these in us somewhere and lesson's we learned along the way for life. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mrs. Krabby and I are trying our goal of playing the equivalent of one board game per week. We got off to a great start last night! I had gotten her/us Forbidden Island for Christmas. We played 3 rounds last night (increasing the difficulty each time) and it was a lot of fun. It does a great, simple job of making you feel anxious and rushed. We won each time but they were definitely like "would have lost next turn" or close to that. Lots of fun!

• Like 1

I think Forbidden Sky is the one with the electrical element. Vaguely recall them doing one that had some sort of circuit you had to complete before trying to get away from the location. It's a great little series of games and used to be a regular at our wargaming club nights on "can't be arsed to lug a bunch of models in tonight" situations.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2023 at 10:44, K said:

i'm a little more familiar with forbidden desert, but yeah it's great fun. I think there's a forbidden sky as well which i've not played, but understand is trickier.

23 hours ago, lanky316 said:

I think Forbidden Sky is the one with the electrical element. Vaguely recall them doing one that had some sort of circuit you had to complete before trying to get away from the location. It's a great little series of games and used to be a regular at our wargaming club nights on "can't be arsed to lug a bunch of models in tonight" situations.

Do you guys (or anyone else for that matter) have any other recommendations for similar games - and by that I mean ones that are good for 2 people, take between 30 minutes and an hour, and have good replay value and some gameplay depth?

42 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Do you guys (or anyone else for that matter) have any other recommendations for similar games - and by that I mean ones that are good for 2 people, take between 30 minutes and an hour, and have good replay value and some gameplay depth?

Do they have to be co-operative?

52 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Sub Terra and the recently released Sub Terra 2 are TOP NOTCH recommendations here. When you play 2-players you each control 2 of the uniquely powered characters and there are many to choose from, even more with expansions. You flip tiles, explore and have terrible things happen to you - but win or lose you have fun every time. Games can kind of stretch out... most of mine are over in an hour, but you can also easily lose on the 2nd turn too. And when you do that, you won't stop talking about it just the same as when you've won.

Similo is fun with 2 and doesn't take too long, you can play multiple rounds - essentially you buy a pack, and there are many versions like History, Myth, Halloween, etc. - and 12 cards get taken out of the deck. One of them becomes the card that YOU want the other person to choose, and you silently give them hints back as to whether or not the character you want them to pick looks like a card that you've laid down or not based on the way that you place it down. The depth here comes from getting into the mind of the other person and trying to figure out what they're trying to tell you. While the person giving clues can't talk, the person (or people) guessing can verbalize what they are thinking;

"Oh, you laid down this card which is a female - and you laid it down sideways, so you might be trying to tell me that the character you want  me to pick isn't a female, or maybe just that they don't have blonde hair..." etc.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 04/01/2023 at 18:55, Krabby said:

Jaipur maybe doesn’t have a huge amount of depth but it’s a great game for two and can be picked up in 5 minutes.

• Thanks 1

On 06/12/2022 at 22:19, Krabby said:

I am so enjoying seeing her learn about being patient, the order of taking a turn, and watching her hamster wheel turn when she is weighing what to do on her turn.

Had this on the weekend with Sushi Go with my youngest who is 6. Usually would help her moves and turns for other board games. She was pairing tempura and placing Wasabi down her first game. She got second every game. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Colly said:

I'm impressed. My daughters 11 and still spends every game of Sushi Roll (which I assume is broadly the same mechanics) collecting puddings...

That was my son. 

• Haha 2

On 21/03/2023 at 11:34, Colly said:

I'm impressed. My daughters 11 and still spends every game of Sushi Roll (which I assume is broadly the same mechanics) collecting puddings...

ok good note, I will also revise my strategy

---

Just throwing a quick recommendation for Mint Works if you can find it cheap. It's really small, put it in your bag. it's a fun little game. ten minute time killer. 

Mint-Works-1.jpg

just a quick recommendation for Mint Works

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

EWB board game hive mind, I've been meaning to get Azul for ages, but they've just brought out Azul Mini which may be perfect since I'm just about to go on holiday. I did want to get the main game though, thinking I could maybe get Mini but then also get one of the various newer themed versions of the big one, any thoughts?