Board Game thread

Two of the biggest things for us recently have been;

1. Watergate
2. Marvel Champions

Watergate is an absolutely amazing two player only game where one person plays the Editors and one person plays Nixon, both trying to do their own objectives while stopping the other from completing theirs. It's absolutely amazingly tight and deserves every award that it has been nominated for and/or won.

Marvel Champions is the LCG format perfected as well. I finally have one where it doesn't feel like I need to buy every pack that comes out for it... but since it's so good, that's exactly what I'm doing. The characters and the mechanics of how they play (Thor's powers being based around getting Mjolnir and using it, only to call it back into your hand, etc) just compliment the characters themselves so well.

I'm up to date now with all of the Marvel Champions expansions and yesterday played my first game with the Ms. Marvel card set. We were taking on Rhino as Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk and just about had everything taken care of when my Nemesis card came up and this asshole showed up.

mc05en_thomas-edison.png

Managed to stills squeek in a win just under the radar, but it's the closest that we've come to losing so late in a game AND the first time that we've had a nemesis deck introduced into the game.

Obviously not a board game, but a small group of my friends and family and I have been running a D&D game for the last several months ever since quarantine started. I'd played for like maybe two hours before one night a few years ago. It was fun but nothing I thought to continue.

Well, holy shit am I addicted now. I friggin' love it. We play every Friday night and literally all week I'm thinking and writing down notes all day long. They're mostly questions and such, since I'm incredibly new to the game, but we're all having a blast and this past Friday was the first week we implemented accents.

I'm a half-ling rogue thief, level four, chaotic neutral from Sharn. I speak with a Russian accent, because 1) Scottish/Irish accents for half-lings is cliche and 2) Russian is the easiest accent for me to keep going for long period of times. When we left off last night, we're just getting ready to battle some...beast, in the cogs of Lower Dura in Sharn, where I have a grand total of 3 hit points left after agreeing to lead the way through all the booby traps. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

Obviously not a board game, but a small group of my friends and family and I have been running a D&D game for the last several months ever since quarantine started. I'd played for like maybe two hours before one night a few years ago. It was fun but nothing I thought to continue.

Well, holy shit am I addicted now. I friggin' love it. We play every Friday night and literally all week I'm thinking and writing down notes all day long. They're mostly questions and such, since I'm incredibly new to the game, but we're all having a blast and this past Friday was the first week we implemented accents.

I'm a half-ling rogue thief, level four, chaotic neutral from Sharn. I speak with a Russian accent, because 1) Scottish/Irish accents for half-lings is cliche and 2) Russian is the easiest accent for me to keep going for long period of times. When we left off last night, we're just getting ready to battle some...beast, in the cogs of Lower Dura in Sharn, where I have a grand total of 3 hit points left after agreeing to lead the way through all the booby traps. 

A friend of mine asked his brother to DM for a group of us who had never played. We started in January and eventually moved to playing online once the quaratine hit. We've played nearly every Saturday since the quarantine started and I am also addicted. 

• Like 1

Listen you two, there's a pen and paper thread for you to yell into the abyss about D&D. This is where we yell into the abyss about board games.

That said - I think I'd do really well with D&D but I'm too nervous to say/do anything at proper times to get the most out of it. Same reason I think that I'd be really good at improv or at least have fun with it... but will likely never do so.

Edited by apsham

On 25/05/2020 at 15:33, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

A friend of mine asked his brother to DM for a group of us who had never played. We started in January and eventually moved to playing online once the quaratine hit. We've played nearly every Saturday since the quarantine started and I am also addicted. 

What do you play as? What are your skills? Tell me things!

25 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

What do you play as? What are your skills? Tell me things!

I am a High Elf Ranger with a Folk Hero background and am Chaotic Good. I have this pretty great bow and I usually just linger in the background during combat and snipe people. It's great.

My character is generally the one who investigates or scopes things out. Our group has turned out much more evil than we thought we would. We often end up in combat with everyone we come across and then interogate the last surviving one. 

• Like 2

I have always been interested in D&D, understand the rules and would love to be a DM someday, but have never actually played or know anyone to play. I am very strange. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPS said:

I have always been interested in D&D, understand the rules and would love to be a DM someday, but have never actually played or know anyone to play. I am very strange. 

If you're willing to plunk some cash into Tabletop Simulator, I'm sure you can find a group here. I'd be interested but it'd have to be on Sundays or Mondays because I work early mornings and I work weekends.

On 11/05/2020 at 21:49, Dan B. said:

Finally, more on topic to EWB at large, I also just got Luchador: Mexican Wrestling Dice, which I'll hopefully get to soon as it looks like a whole lot of fun.  It even comes with a little 3D ring you can put together to roll your dice in!  

luchador-mexican-wrestling-dice.jpg

Ahh! I keep seeing this online and I really wanna play it but it's sold out everywhere. There's two sites that I go for in Canada as they seem to be pretty legit and I have notifications for it if it ever comes back in.

• 4 weeks later...

@Mr. Meacon Moneybags and @Mx. Canadian Destroyer- just because you're the ones talking about D&D. I have been playing for about 15 years and am thoroughly addicted to Dungeons and Dragons. If either of you have any questions or want to play in a game(I can DM if no one else is willing), I'd be more than happy to oblige. I likely couldn't run until after a move that I'm planning for sometime in the next month, but I have specific plans to set up a room for running D&D online and recording D&D related content for YouTube.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Same, but I've probably got the hardest schedule to work around, as I work early AM EST and on weekends, meaning Friday and Saturday I need to be in bed by 10PM EST.

15 hours ago, RPS said:

I have never played D&D but would one hundred percent be down for an EWB campaign. 

An EWB one was attempted ages ago, TEOL had five of us make characters and then we never actually played anything.

So about as expected for something EWB.