The Hunger Games

Ruki

I agree that was the impression I was probably supposed to get from the film, but I think it just didn't translate well to the medium. There is a lot more nuance and subtly you can get away with in a book than in a film (not to mention time constraints). It just came across as really forced and rushed and made her seem much weaker as a result.

I agree that was the impression I was probably supposed to get from the film, but I think it just didn't translate well to the medium. There is a lot more nuance and subtly you can get away with in a book than in a film (not to mention time constraints). It just came across as really forced and rushed and made her seem much weaker as a result.

That was the way that the book played out. In the end there were some big issues Peeta had when he realized the truth even. That said, none of that came across well in the movie I agree.

That was the way that the book played out. In the end there were some big issues Peeta had when he realized the truth even. That said, none of that came across well in the movie I agree.

I'm hoping that was done to allow for some tension at the start of the next film. I suppose it's a lot harder to push the whole "Was it just for the games?" thing when there's no real good medium for getting across what Katniss is thinking. I guess they could have had her narrate it or something, but I'm not sure it would have worked that well. Hopefully it's addressed at the start of the next film by her talking to Prim or something.

I was really entertained by the movie when I saw this. Didn't really know shit about 'em. Knew that it was a series and that these were all some of the top-selling books.

Very interested to read the books now.

Let me ask you guys this: It's clear there will be a sequel, but do the actual Hunger Games ever tie back in? I take it Katniss and Peeta can't go back, right?

Spoilered for the benefit of others who may not know/want to know or anything of the sort:

The Hunger Games play a part again. I'll not say more though.

Book 2 sorta-spoiler!

Quarter Quell!

:D :D :D

There is one interesting thing from book 2 that doesn't need spoiler tags - you find out how Haymitch won his Hunger Games. Not saying how, but you do.

So, are the books worth reading? I've seen the movie now and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Is this just another thinly strung together teenage drama contained within a gimmick or does it actually have some meat?

• 1 month later...

Ruki! I'm about to start the 2nd book tomorrow.How is it?

I found the second book to be quite interesting and a bit swervy but ultimately not too dissimilar to "The Girl..." series by Steig Larsson whereby the second book is essentially a prerequiste set up to the third book. It's largely a build up, and I don't want to give away too much - nor am I Ruki like you asked - but it's perhaps not as conclusive as the final book and not as punchy as the first book was. That said the main trios relationships are pushed along a bit further. Hope that's of some help at least.

• Like 1

Yeah, I liked the 2nd best too. It's like the first on crack in terms of excitement and cool ideas. I would have hated the ending if I hadn't started reading with the 3rd book already in my possession.

• Like 2

Yeah, I liked the 2nd best too. It's like the first on crack in terms of excitement and cool ideas. I would have hated the ending if I hadn't started reading with the 3rd book already in my possession.

Same for me, really.

• 1 month later...

I never got round to seeing the film but picked up the 3 books yesterday.

I've just finished the second one and damn, I'm very impressed. I thought it would be just average, but I loved them. The way they made it believable but toned down enough to not make it unsuitable for potential readers/viewers. Can't wait start the third one now,

• 2 months later...

Ah. So, I read the Hunger Games trilogy on holiday in the space of about four days. Other than absolutely hating Katniss as a character (never have I seen a more self-important character in a book since Holden Caulfield) apart from bits of Catching Fire, I loved the books. Finally got round to watching the film and...ehhhhh. I like the way they played it out with giving Seneca and Caesar bigger parts so we weren't stuck with interminable Katniss monologues, but there was so much missing that I felt it was a bit lacking in parts.

There was far too little Effie Trinket and the makeover team, who became characters I was sort of attached to by the end of the trilogy. I thought (and it seems I'm somewhat in the minority on this one) that Woody Harrelson was far too coherent a Haymitch for the majority of the film. I mean, it's pretty much right up until the night before they head to the arena that he's a drunken idiot who's falling over/throwing up everywhere in the book, but he seemed to be on it right from when they met him in the film. They didn't play nearly enough on the romance between Peeta and Katniss and then the end sort of fell flat for me because I was expecting more from it.

On the positive side, Kravitz was an INCREDIBLE Cinna. Foxface was great too.

I'm more excited about some of the casting for Catching Fire though, which is good since CF is by far the best of the trilogy:

Amanda Plummer is Wiress!

:wub: Phillip Seymour Hoffman is Plutarch! :wub: and if Tony Shalhoub turns out to be Beetee then it'll just be awesome.