2012 MLB Thread

We've seen Phil Hughes be a very effective starting pitcher in the past, and I feel like he should be fine long-term. This makes me wonder though just how helpful these "innings limits" are. Scouts seem so concerned with making sure pitchers only throw a certain amount of innings so that they can be more effective and less likely to be hurt long-term. Yet these pitching limits seem to have messed up both Phil Hughes & Joba Chamberlain in recent years.

He posted his best ERA, WHIP, HR/9, H/9, K/9, and K/BB numbers in '09 when he was coming out of the bullpen. His numbers as a starter, even in 2010, have always been aided by the team he's been on. His numbers in 2010 weren't exactly anything beyond "Well this guy is a decent 3 or 4 guy on a contender" numbers.

He was 30 years old when I attended my first MLB game in 1993. I forget if he started for the O's that day, it's possible though. Incredibly impressive that he's still going, he's had 1 All-Star Game appearance but consistency yields success I guess. You're getting a number 4 or 5 starter with him, when he was at his best he was a number 2 or 3. And it's gotten him this far. Hopefully he gets the chance to pitch at 50 years of age.

http://www.nonohitters.com/nohittersbefore/

http://www.nonohitters.com/nohittersafter/

He's the 2nd former Met to throw a perfecto and 7th to throw a no hitter <_< The Mets no hit drought may end up lasting longer than the Cubs title drought.

If the Sawx lose today after having a 9-0 lead, Bobby V may get fired tonight.

Edited by naiwf