2012 MLB Thread

It's called paying dues. The kid's 19 and he's a media sensation. He needed to be brought down to Earth. At least he didn't get the Londrick treatment...

Jeremy Lin needed something like that.

Who the fuck are you to say that? I didn't know we had an ex pro ballplayer here. You don't know shit about "paying dues" in the MLB, so shut the hell up, because even at 19, Harper has paid more big league dues than you ever will.

• Like 2

It's called paying dues. The kid's 19 and he's a media sensation. He needed to be brought down to Earth. At least he didn't get the Londrick treatment...

Who the fuck are you to say that? I didn't know we had an ex pro ballplayer here. You don't know shit about "paying dues" in the MLB, so shut the hell up, because even at 19, Harper has paid more big league dues than you ever will.

And in Triple A, the guy would blow kisses to pitchers after he hit home runs...or would stand at home plate and admire it...he drew lines in the dirt if he thought a pitch was outside the strikezone. The guy was going to get thrown at at one point. Hamels was just man enough to say "Yea, I did it on purpose"

For a starter, when they say 5 games suspended, do they technically mean around 25 games? As he only starts every 5th game anyway.

So for a SP, 1 game. Which they could just push back a day.

Yea but if they do, then the Phillies gotta use Kendrick...they'll just skip a start..

And in Triple A, the guy would blow kisses to pitchers after he hit home runs...or would stand at home plate and admire it...he drew lines in the dirt if he thought a pitch was outside the strikezone. The guy was going to get thrown at at one point. Hamels was just man enough to say "Yea, I did it on purpose"

"Would blow kisses to pitches" implies it happened more than once. It didn't. And it came out of the pitcher (Zach Neal) taunting the Hagerstown dugout every time he recorded a strikeout so fair is fair. Guys pimp their home runs all the time, Harper is no exception. And you're going to tell me Hamels threw at him because once in college he showed up an umpire? Absurd. The kid's done nothing in the majors to warrant being thrown at besides his existence and relative lack of age while Cole Hamels was on the mound.

And the response from retired players and other players around the league? Harper proved himself. He didn't charge the mound...he didn't even look Hamels in the eye as he took his base. He took a single from Werth and raced to third, then stole home. Then he proceded to his a single and a double against Hamels. As a Phillies fan, I got no problem with Hamels giving Harper a little "welcome to the Bigs" plunk. But also, as a baseball fan, Harper is legit. Bryce is going to be a big thing for the Nats, and for MLB in general.

Has Harper matured from his time in the minors? Yes. The Alice Cooper-esque eyeblack is gone. In the minors, I could see Harper charging a pitcher for hitting him. The Nats are going places. Their a great, young team. As a Phillies fan, I'm glad. It just makes the NL East all the more competitive

And the response from retired players and other players around the league? Harper proved himself. He didn't charge the mound...he didn't even look Hamels in the eye as he took his base. He took a single from Werth and raced to third, then stole home. Then he proceded to his a single and a double against Hamels. As a Phillies fan, I got no problem with Hamels giving Harper a little "welcome to the Bigs" plunk. But also, as a baseball fan, Harper is legit. Bryce is going to be a big thing for the Nats, and for MLB in general.

Has Harper matured from his time in the minors? Yes. The Alice Cooper-esque eyeblack is gone. In the minors, I could see Harper charging a pitcher for hitting him. The Nats are going places. Their a great, young team. As a Phillies fan, I'm glad. It just makes the NL East all the more competitive

And if he had lost control on the pitch and clocked him in the head, would it have still been okay? You throw intentionally at someone, you risk injuring them, so you don't do it. Guys get hurt enough will balls simply getting away from pitchers, they don't need to be throwing at guys intentionally.

and Hamels has been one of the more "in control" pitchers of the last few seasons. The fact that Harper turned his back as opposed to ducking shows that. If I set the Phillies rotation, Hamels would be above Lee in our rotation. A World Series MVP ranks above Cliff Lee IMO. If Roy Halladay didn't have a perfect game anda playoff no-no, I'd put Hamels above Halladay too.

To go off on a tangent..Phillies fans say we need this rotation to win another World Series. WTF. We won a WS where our opening day starter was Brett F'ing Myers. Our #3, who is now was #5, was Joe Blanton. I make fun of Blanton on my FB page, but I like Joe. He's our #5, but could easily be a #3 on other teams. He's 5 by default. When your 1-3 are Halladay, Lee and Hamels, ad your 4 is Vance Woreley, a ROTY candidate, your going to get a bum rap as the 5 starter. I'd love to see the Phillies trade Lee, free up some salary to resign Hamels, and give Joe a bump to 4 and a Triple A guy, like Mays, Cosart or another AA or AAA a guy a chance, and get a good bat for Lee...

Being at the O's game tonight was wild. Hamilton was seriously 15 feet from hitting 5 homers tonight. We all applauded him when he ran out to CF after number 4. Something I'll probably never see in person again.

If you take Hamilton out of the lineup, and the runs he produced, the Orioles won that game 3-2. That sums up why he should be at the front of MVP discussion so far this year.