The 2012 Summer Transfer Window thread

Lineker

I'm not too bothered Liverpool missed out on him in the end. It looks like we're bringing Cole and Aquiliani back into the midfield. Which gives our midfield a bit more experience than it had last year, albeit Aquilani has been somewhat injury prone. Considering we were mostly confined to using Shelvey and Spearing towards the end of last season.

I'm probably more optimistic he's staying as a Spurs fan but everyone said Modric was gone last year & it didn't happen. He's under contract & we don't need the money. The only way I see Levy caving is if someone stumps up an absolutely ridiculous offer. Not to mention the only team really in the race for him last year was Chelsea whose manager at the time is now ours.

I don't see Gylfi jumping into our starting 11, at least not right away, but what a player to have in the picture. Van der Vaart rarely plays a full 90 minutes and Kranjcar's gone so another player in the attacking mix would be good. You look at our bench and the midfield is usually quite defensive with the likes of Livermore and Sandro. Huddlestone's always injured as well so I think he fits a need.

Gylfi!

Those "in the know" are saying that while AVB would prefer 4-3-3 ultimately, the Tottenham playing staff are better set up for 4-2-3-1. He'd fit in there alright. Get in whatever striker we're gonna get in up at the front, stick two of Sandro/Parker/Huddlestone/Livermore in front of the back four and give Van der Vaart/Bale/Lennon/Gylfi/Modric (in the 5% chance he stays)/other attacking midfielder we sign free reign to run around and cause some lovely havoc.

I doubt Livermore will get as much playing time now that 'Arry has gone as he definitely seemed to be more flavour of the month than anything and, when all are fit, he's definitely fourth choice out of those. However he IS young which fits with our wonderful new philosophy.

I wish Huddlestone wasn't so injury prone. I think he's a wonderful player.

Glorious player who I've come to dislike simply because he's never there to watch consistently. Could feature in an England team if he could stick around for a season.

Only thing I remember about that World Club Championships that year was being in secondary school and my history teacher decided to cancel the lesson so we could all watch the game.

Sigurdsson will probably come in as a replacement for Modric, it is a good signing for them and when I heard about Tottenham offering more money in terms of wages it made sense to go somewhere that is more likely to challenge for a Champions League place while getting given more money. He's one of those players I would happily have in the squad but I'm not going to lose any sleep over him not picking us. Its already been said that with Cole and Aquilani staying we have plenty of cover for centre mid alongside Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Shelvey and Spearing. (Hopefully Henderson plays more in the middle than on the wing this season....)

Good signing though for Tottenham. Is there any truth behind the rumours of Van Der Vaart possibly leaving as well? Think I seen something the other day of him being linked with a move back to Germany.

I feel sorry for Kaka really, it's not really his fault for getting shafted by Real Madrid for seasons. He was brought in as the marquee signing and overshadowed about a week later by Cristiano Ronaldo who not only was a bigger name, but was a winger which made it impossible to play them both together in a system. Had Ronaldo not arrived at Real Madrid then I'd have imagined they'd have chosen a much narrower formation with Kaka pretty much dictating the midfield.

Real signing Di Maria and Oezil the next year basically ruined any chance of Kaka playing again by showing they'd rather play wider, and if they required an attacking midfielder, it most certainly wouldn't be Kaka.

Robin van Persie could be on his way out of Arsenal after refusing to sign a new contract.

In a statement on his official website, the Dutch striker revealed he will not extend his deal beyond when it expires next summer.

It has put Manchester City on red alert as they attempt to lure him to the Etihad Stadium

Van Persie said: 'This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr Gazidis and Mr Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what’s really going on at the moment.

On his way? Robin van Persie could now quit Arsenal

On his way? Robin van Persie could now quit Arsenal

'As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the boss and Mr Gazidis after the season. This was a meeting about the club’s future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

'I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.

'Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

'I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

'I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC.

'Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years.

'As soon as Mr Gazidis is back from his two-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments.'

I would hope out of loyalty to Arsenal or something he moves abroad. I'd hate to see him move to Man City. Real, Juventus or even Barca sure. City, no.