The 2012 Summer Transfer Window thread

Lineker

Not sure where Cattermole would fit in once Lucas is healthy, and I'd much rather Spearing and Adam remain as our backup. Banega could definitely be a step in the right direction though, if true.

Amazed you think the owners of Liverpool are prepared to let a £20m asset go unused. Andy Carroll will never be prolific, but by god he should have a few goals behind him by now. I still never managed to wrap my head around turning Kuyt into a winger. We were after him at the same time Liverpool were.

Kuyt wasn't turned into a winger. He was turned into a wide forward that had the license to drift into the box, and coming from a wide position meant it was difficult for defenders to pick him up. Didn't work out too badly.

And were you seriously suggesting Charlie Adam is a £20m asset? >_>

Lucas has undoubtedly become one of the best midfielders in the league. Once he's fit not starting him for the sake of getting our money's worth out of Charlie Adam is stupid. Adam's a great player, I just don't think he's our first choice. Like I said, on hand to replace Lucas or Gerrard if needed and starting cup games would be the best decision tactically.

Neither Adam or Spearing are adequate cover for Lucas, as we've seen this season. Adam's not a defensive midfielder, he's too brainless, and Spearing... well, he tries, bless him.

The big problem is that Lucas' injury isn't the sort of thing you just come back from. Even when he's playing again it'll be a slow transition back into the first team, and there's no guarantee he'll ever get back to the same level he was at before the injury, or if he does how long it'll take. Cover is absolutely necessary, and should have been signed at the beginning of this season instead of chucking out Aquilani and Meireles to make way for a pastiche of Xabi Alonso.

Speaking of our midfielders, with 5 games left, Aquilani is 4 games away from triggering the release clause.

He won't make up the required amount of games. Milan know we're idiots, they'll let him come back to us, and wait until we give him to them for a million or so or send him out on loan again.

Kuyt wasn't turned into a winger. He was turned into a wide forward that had the license to drift into the box, and coming from a wide position meant it was difficult for defenders to pick him up. Didn't work out too badly.

Kuyt was put on the wing cos he can run all day, it's as simple as that.

About Charlie Adam, forgive me, it's very late. Who's the midfield chap they signed for £20m then?

Edit: Henderson!! Hows he doing?

(time for bed)

Edited by Manifest

Kuyt was put on the wing cos he can run all day, it's as simple as that.

About Charlie Adam, forgive me, it's very late. Who's the midfield chap they signed for £20m then?

Henderson, who cost anywhere from £14-20m depending on who you believe.

Kuyt was made to start out wide because he's not particularly dominant in the air, he's not quick, he's not got particularly good control or a good touch, but he's very intelligent in terms of the runs he makes. It made more sense to have him out on the right with instructions to drift inside, moving into the space created by Torres who would drag defenders towards him. The fact that his fitness allowed him to track back for 90 minutes every game was a bonus.

Kuyt was made to start out wide because he's not particularly dominant in the air, he's not quick, he's not got particularly good control or a good touch, but he's very intelligent in terms of the runs he makes. It made more sense to have him out on the right with instructions to drift inside, moving into the space created by Torres who would drag defenders towards him. The fact that his fitness allowed him to track back for 90 minutes every game was a bonus.

I think you're giving Kuyt way too much credit... Why sign a striker to perform that role anyway?

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot Henderson even exists!

Me too. :shifty:

I think you're giving Kuyt way too much credit... Why sign a striker to perform that role anyway?

I don't think I am. The system worked perfectly in 08/09 when we had our best ever Premier League finish.

I don't think he was signed specifically for that role, but his weaknesses/strengths and the signing of Torres, who was always at his best as a lone striker with Gerrard just behind him, saw him converted full-time to that role.

There's nothing wrong with realigning your plans for a player, especially if it helps to get the best out the team. It's a bit like Ba being switched to the left, individually for him it might make him look worse as he's no longer banging goals in, but it's made Newcastle much better overall.

• Like 1

Kuyts been playing in the same role for Holland for a long time too, I think he's made it his own these days. Not sure the Ba comment is quite right, as Ba's been very hit and miss recently despite our overall form, but Kuyts position isn't the issue its more that they still haven't settled on what's the best team and formation to play. Obviously injuries haven't helped, but when Carrolls coming off for Downing you're doing it wrong.

Fair enough therockbox.

Kuyts been playing in the same role for Holland for a long time too, I think he's made it his own these days. Not sure the Ba comment is quite right, as Ba's been very hit and miss recently despite our overall form, but Kuyts position isn't the issue its more that they still haven't settled on what's the best team and formation to play. Obviously injuries haven't helped, but when Carrolls coming off for Downing you're doing it wrong.

The reason Ba has been "hit and miss" recently is because he is no longer played in the center, as therockbox. said. Desperately wanted him to score against Stoke.

But even before he moved across and we started playing the 4 3 3 he was getting noticeably easily dealt with by centre halfs, and just allowing them to gain a physical advantage, something that Cisse just doesn't do. He's still looked decent, but he's forcing things he wouldn't before and his first touch seems to have vanished. I agree a goal might sort him out, and I was also hoping for one against Stoke (Pards decision to leave him on and take Cisse off was absolutely correct), but I can't see his long term future being in that position as Kuyt has been for years.

But even before he moved across and we started playing the 4 3 3 he was getting noticeably easily dealt with by centre halfs, and just allowing them to gain a physical advantage, something that Cisse just doesn't do. He's still looked decent, but he's forcing things he wouldn't before and his first touch seems to have vanished. I agree a goal might sort him out, and I was also hoping for one against Stoke (Pards decision to leave him on and take Cisse off was absolutely correct), but I can't see his long term future being in that position as Kuyt has been for years.

Yeah I noticed that against Stoke, could be a confidence issue but regardless of that he was cheap, and even though he's been off the boil since the African Cup of Nations he managed to put a fair few away earlier in the year to prove a lot of people wrong.

I can't see him holding that position like Kuyt has. That's a fair point.

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot Henderson even exists!

Henderson is much better when played in a central midfield role. He's looked much better recently and more confident when getting the chance to play there.

If there is anyone ive forgotten Liverpool have it is Aquilani. He was so bloody good in pre season and yet still we let him go out on loan. Adam doesnt seem to me starter at a club looking for a top four finish. Hernderson has potential, Downing maybe. But Adam is a squad player. He switches off after an hour, tries superman passes and shots like a second rate Gerrard. His set pieces are not all they're cracked up to be.

I think Adam is a good player, just not a good fit for Liverpool.

Adam needs an entire team built around him, and getting the best out of him, like it was at Blackpool. The problem is that when you do that you're essentially giving up any chance of controlling that area of the pitch, which almost no club in the Premier League can afford to do.

Although I think Meireles was overrated by a lot of people last season because of a brief purple patch, and Aquilani obviously has problems with his fitness, both are vastly superior players to Adam, and I'm not sure why we felt the need to push them both out the door to make way for him, especially when we desperately needed cover for Lucas as well. It says a lot that, ever since he got injured, you never hear anyone talking about how we miss Adam, or that we might be better off with him back. People have just forgotten about him, because he offers nothing except pretty looking, but largely ineffective long passes. Kenny's fascination with him is bizarre.