Madden NFL 13

DYSI

Are you having trouble with finding open guys, or is it a defensing issue?

Use QBs that aren't Skelton or Tebow for one.

Otherwise, I'd look for slant routes and curls as they're a pretty safe bet to get your guys open. If I remember rightly, the passing icons start translucent and then solidify as the receiver becomes open, so pay attention to that. And make use of the new passing trajectories. If it's a deep route, tap the button to lob it in over the top. Slants and stuff over the middle, hold the button to fire it in. Again, if I remember rightly, you can lead your throws now as well, so aim the ball where the DB isn't, essentially. For example, on a fade, you want to pass it to the back shoulder of the receiver.

I came in here to post that I set up some new sliders, and although I need more testing, they're bloody great so far. I even saw penalties in practice. Defensive line is much more effective (I've previously had trouble getting Peppers to shed a single block), there's more of a difference between quality receivers, and physical guys like Brandon Marshall are actually playing physically. Seems to be fewer psychic reads too. Only issue I've noticed so far is that there are perhaps too many broken tackles, but I'm not sure if it's due to an unfair boost to runners or not enough help for tacklers.

I'll post them up here tomorrow when I've got the game on again if anyone wants to try them.

I would love to have a crack with your sliders Dragsy.

The last time I played Madden, somewhere early December the game got killed for me thanks to a couple of sliders that caused me to throw 560 yards with McNabb and the other team to throw around 500 too.

I want some nice sliders that have a balanced running/passing game and that also gives some nice defense.

Otherwise, I'd look for slant routes and curls as they're a pretty safe bet to get your guys open. If I remember rightly, the passing icons start translucent and then solidify as the receiver becomes open, so pay attention to that. And make use of the new passing trajectories. If it's a deep route, tap the button to lob it in over the top. Slants and stuff over the middle, hold the button to fire it in. Again, if I remember rightly, you can lead your throws now as well, so aim the ball where the DB isn't, essentially. For example, on a fade, you want to pass it to the back shoulder of the receiver.

I came in here to post that I set up some new sliders, and although I need more testing, they're bloody great so far. I even saw penalties in practice. Defensive line is much more effective (I've previously had trouble getting Peppers to shed a single block), there's more of a difference between quality receivers, and physical guys like Brandon Marshall are actually playing physically. Seems to be fewer psychic reads too. Only issue I've noticed so far is that there are perhaps too many broken tackles, but I'm not sure if it's due to an unfair boost to runners or not enough help for tacklers.

I'll post them up here tomorrow when I've got the game on again if anyone wants to try them.

Cheers Dragsy, I'll see how I go next time out. It's finding open guys a lot of the time. My best option so far has been "just throw it near Larry Fitzgerald" because he can usually pick it out of the air even with double coverage, but even that's not working usually. Oberste is in for my next game, Skelton & Tebow have been embarrassingly poor so far. I'll try and pay attention to trajectories and hit the back shoulder. Shall see how it goes.

Try a couple of Play Now games with a strong passing offense like New England, Green Bay or New Orleans. Then we can establish how much of it is stuff you need to work on and how much of it is who you have to work with.

If you're going to play Tebow, you need to be running read options at least every third play. Read option is lethal in Madden this year.

As for your passing situation, run hooks and go routes. If they press, hot route to a hook. If they're playing off, send them long or on a go route depending on where the safeties are. Either one should set you up for relative success.

But really, for Tebow, RGIII, CK, Cam Newton and even Aaron Rodgers, the read option is like a base play for me. Call that and then run no huddle and audible out from the line if I want to throw.

How does that stuff work? I dabbled a bit with Cam against DYSI, but I couldn't figure out how to execute the option, it'd just go to the default guy all the time.

Is this worth getting? I get paid this week and was thinking of picking it up but it still hasn't come down in price. I don't mind paying £40 pound but wanted to check if it is worth the value.

It's easily the best Madden on this console generation. Presentation isn't great, but the gameplay is pretty cool. The franchise mode has been restructured. It isn't bad, but it's pretty clearly just a skeleton for them to hang flesh out with the next release.

If you're going to play Tebow, you need to be running read options at least every third play. Read option is lethal in Madden this year.

As for your passing situation, run hooks and go routes. If they press, hot route to a hook. If they're playing off, send them long or on a go route depending on where the safeties are. Either one should set you up for relative success.

But really, for Tebow, RGIII, CK, Cam Newton and even Aaron Rodgers, the read option is like a base play for me. Call that and then run no huddle and audible out from the line if I want to throw.

How does that stuff work? I dabbled a bit with Cam against DYSI, but I couldn't figure out how to execute the option, it'd just go to the default guy all the time.

I'm not sure of the buttons for 360 but if you're doing the read option, you hold whatever the snap button is. For example, for PS3, it'd be to hold X. If you do a legit option, which is available in the Panthers' pistol, then pitch is, on PS3, L1.

Cheers Dragsy, I'll see how I go next time out. It's finding open guys a lot of the time. My best option so far has been "just throw it near Larry Fitzgerald" because he can usually pick it out of the air even with double coverage, but even that's not working usually. Oberste is in for my next game, Skelton & Tebow have been embarrassingly poor so far. I'll try and pay attention to trajectories and hit the back shoulder. Shall see how it goes.

Try a couple of Play Now games with a strong passing offense like New England, Green Bay or New Orleans. Then we can establish how much of it is stuff you need to work on and how much of it is who you have to work with.

I played a couple of Play Now's to try and see if it was that, one as the Pats and trounced the opposition. Then did the same again with the Lions, pulling off passes all over the field with Matt Stafford. Then again that one was only against the Vikings. I'll try one as the Packers against NO and see what happens.

Tebow is tough to play with unless you know how to use him. As everyone said, read options are amazing with him and I've had more success flipping every pass play because usually the playbook is designed for right-handed QBs making it marginally more difficult with Tebow. Especially with play action passes.

I have a question about Madden13 game play, more so about the franchise play.

Typically I do not buy Madden each year when it comes. I buy a new copy every couple of years or so. One of my favorite things about Madden08/09 was the franchise option. It allowed you to change ownership of teams in the middle of a franchise. So I could start a franchise and build one franchise into a power. Then in the middle of the franchise change teams and build up another team. When I upgraded to Madden11, I loved the improved in-game play but was disappointed that they altered the franchise game play to disallow you to switch teams in the middle of the franchise. Is this still the way things are with Madden13? Can you change teams you control in the middle of a franchise or can you only use the teams you select at the begining of the game?

You can change what team you want to coach/play for at any point in the game.

There's two ways to do it:

1. You can retire your player/coach at any point, create a new one and play for/control any other team.

2. Or (if you're a coach) you can wait till the end of the season and reject a contract extension and proceed to wait for other teams to give you an offer. Or (as a player) you can request a trade at any point (within the trade deadline) or wait for your contract to run out.

I'll do my best to explain it without a diagram. Assuming your RB is lined up to your right, watch the DE on the right side of the line. If the DE loses contain and goes to follow the RB, let go of (X) or (A) and keep it with the QB. If the DE keeps contain and stays in his position, hand hold the button and give it to the back.

I have the Panthers in the online franchise here and the read option is how I run my offence. Above is basically the essence of it. Call the play and try to identify the what the defence is running. It's very flexible because you can audible into anything but if it's on just call it and watch the side that the QB's run is on, if the end bites and there's no other edge rushers take off otherwise hand off to the HB.

It gets really fun with the triple option though which is basically the same thing but you also have the option of pitching to another RB using L2/LT after keeping it with the QB.

Use the Panthers playbook with RG3, Wilson or Cam and if it's run right, mixing it in with some PA passes from the pistol formation too it can be lethal.

The read option is bullshit!

*is bitter about league loss to TCO*

It's the offence of the future!

Speaking of which you can run the option with any team because Vince Young is a free agent and is perfect for it, so I'd sign him straight away either as a backup for Cam/RG3/Wilson/Vick/Kaep or as a starter in the system/

Which playbook has the best read option stuff? I've only ever seen one play, but I don't explore offensive playbooks very much. My offline Raiders franchise features a scrambling QB though, so I'd like to learn.

And hah, you don't need the read option to succeed with Tebow, you just gotta believe.