Bands that Left Too Soon

LittleDaniel

I've been trying to think of what to title this thread for a few minutes now. At first, I wanted to call it something along the lines of "Bands That Fucked Off," but I'm not really just looking for bands that have broken up. Shit, bands break up all the time. Last year alone we had the White Stripes, LCD Soundsystem, and Rilo Kiley break up, all have achieving moderate-to-huge success. This thread's not for them. This here thread's a thread for great bands that broke up too soon. Think Nirvana if they broke up after Bleach. In other words, a band that's put out some good music but remained in relative obscurity.

For my first exhibit, I present P.S. Eliot, a band that broke up late last year after putting out a few things. Here are two songs from those aforementioned things, because that's the limit on YouTube videos in these posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_Fv207gAI

Almost every post-hardcore band ever. Like Saetia. Had one god-damned album. And same with Hot Cross--who is more accessible, I admit. I quite realize that it's an acquired taste, though. Even for me some days. :(

Drive like Jehu's a great band that was together for five years, but only put out two albums and a single, unfortunately.

Whatever. I love it.

Edited by Will? Yum.

Lykathé. :( Also, I want to make a case for Talk Talk. They had just started delving in this really interesting post-rock sound and then they broke up. I mean, they had been active for about ten years but still. Made me sad.

This was sort of brought up in DMN's thread, but the Sex Pistols. They had one great album, a neat little variety album, and then some demos and live stuff.

Arthur Brown's original band also, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown was such a brilliant album, but it was all that the group released. Arthur Brown did go on to do some work with Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come but nothing quite like that first album.

*Pointing out the Obvious Mode*

Guns N' Roses. The real version anyway. dry.gif

And the original lineup of Evanescence, too. They're still good, but the group that put out Fallen seemed to be firing on all cylinders

Edited by T.J.

Bear vs Shark, Apsci, Neutral Milk Hotel, yourcodenameis:milo, Million Dead, Reuben, Aereogramme, Blakfish, Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, Cave In, Desaparecidos, This Town Needs Guns, Sunny Day Real Estate.

All of them need to come back, like, yesterday.

*Pointing out the Obvious Mode*

Guns N' Roses. The real version anyway. dry.gif

What's the "real" version of Guns N' Roses, then? What makes them "real"?

Great shout on Death. And fuck, I have a ton of stuff by bands who released one or two EPs, if that, then disappeared off the face of the fucking planet. And some of it sounds like they could have released some absolute gold.

Even ignoring them, though...Floor come to mind. Circus Lupus. Monorchid. A fucking ton of stuff from the mid-60s. Too many bands disappear after one or two songs.

I just hate that people are always like "man, Axl's such a dick, man, still using the Guns N' Roses name when he doesn't have Slash, man, it's not Guns N' Roses without Slash, only the fucking original, real line-up are Guns N' Roses, man". Fuck off. They weren't the original line-up when the first fucking album came out.

But, more importantly, give me time to actually think and I could live in this fucking thread.

I didn't say original. I guess "real" isn't the right term either. Basically the lineup that they got famous with. I'm not saying that Axl shouldn't be using the name. He has every right to. I was saying it's a shame that they didn't last longer how they were.

• Like 1