What have been your favourite albums of 2012?

METALMAN

That's us about halfway through the year, so now is as good a time as ever to weigh things up. So far, I'd say that 2012 has been a decent year but nothing amazing, and not as good as 2010, which is my own personal musical high watermark of recent years.

Far better than I would ever have expected. The title track is the first Beach Boys single written by Brian Wilson in over thirty years if I remember correctly, and it's absolutely beautiful, full of rolling harmonies and gushing with melody. The album seems to break down into two parts, with the first half being typical poppr Beach Boys stuff, which is, for the most part, pretty good. It's the second half - a suite of songs similar to the likes of Smile and Pet Sounds - that stands out most of all though. Lovely album.

This is a real oddity - as Wikipedia says, "Belbury Poly's sound is a blend of influences, ranging from old library music, sixties-inspired psychedelic rock to soundtrack, folk and public information films". It's pretty haunting at times, perhaps due to the analogue synths and such. Cool album.

I love Burial. His music is often compared to the sound of a night bus in London, and I'd get behind that. Incredibly haunting, with a sense that danger could be lurking behind any corner. Both of his albums are phenomenal, but I think this EP could top them all. I know there are a lot of dubstep haters here, but really, even if you hate dubstep, listen to this. This is different.

After bidding a fond farewell to Johnny Marr, the brothers Jarman are once more on their own. This album is fairly similar to their others - instantly catchy, yet somewhat shonky pop songs. What really sets this album apart, however, is that it is bloody LOUD. There is feedback and big bangy drums all over the place. I love the Cribs. They seem to improve with every album, and they really are quite unique. They are quite possibly my favourite band of the last ten years.

This is a really interesting band. They;ve been compared to Beta Band, in part because they are both Scottish. There are some real similarities between the two. Kind of psychedelic I guess, and there are a few Eastern sounding tunes on it too. But, on the other hand, there's a few songs on the album that are (kind of) danceable too. Weird but also poppy and catchy. The best kind of music.

This is typical Dr John I guess. If there is any such thing as typical Dr John. But it's produced by that guy from the Black Keys (I think), who also plays on it. So it's also pretty punchy and radio friendly. I love Dr John, and this is his best album in the while. He doesn't get talked about enough, but this album could well change that!

This is, I suppose, like listening to a cross between the Beach Bots and the Divine Comedy. Beautiful, lush pop songs. I know there's tons of bands that copy the Beach Boys, but these guys do it best.

Possibly my favourite of 2012 so far. CRINGE. But really, it's quite a special album. I know a lot of people complain about the songs being all samey and slow, but it really works in terms of the atmosphere of the album. Putting a club banger in there just wouldn't work. And really, once you listen to everything a couple of times you'll find that every song has something to offer. Other people have moaned about the lyrics. They are stupid at times, but I like that. I really like the lyrics for the most part, and generally I'm someone that doesn't care for lyrics in music. But this reminds me a bit of a modern day F. Scott Fitzgerald kinda thing. You know, stories of people who seem to have it all but are actually sad and empty. I like that sort of thing. It's why I like J.G. Ballard's 90s phase. Again, it's pop music with a spanner in the works. Something that makes it a bit "off". The best kind of music. I still think there's a lot more to come from Lana Del Rey (yes. she is a girl). So this is a cool start.

I know this is a bit sneaky and not really 2012, but it is the first time they've been released together. And it is also the first time I've ever really cared for MBV. These are cool. There are tunes here, whereas I found the albums to be the sound of a washing machine on spin cycle being dropped down a fire escape.

Technically 2011 but I only got it in January so wth. Here's a review I wrote earlier:

http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77985&st=0&p=2515748&#entry2515748

Honourable mentions

Death Grips - The Money Store

Grimes - Visions

Hot Chip - In Our Heads

Marina & the Diamonds - Electra Heart

Death Grips' album was amazing to me. I have a weird balance between what "abrasive" stuff I like, but they hit that balance right on the head. Also Beach House, Fiona Apple, and Best Coast put out some records I have trouble putting down. Fiona's record is amazing in particular.

I in the Death Grips boat because that shit is amazing; I cannot wait till No Love comes out. So far my list includes the Beach Boys as well, as I have noted before I enjoyed their new album much more than I should have. You know what, I'll make a list.

The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made the Radio

Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II

Crippled Black Phoenix - (Mankind) The Crafty Ape

Death Grips - The Money Store

Tales of Murder and Dust - Hallucinations of Beauty

SPEkTR - Personetics

High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Spleen United - School of Euphoria

The Electic Moniker - The Electic Moniker

What is more than likely to also end up on this list is Ahab's new album The Giant, Turboweekend's Fault Lines and Kristian Leth's Hjemad when I get to listen all of those three properly. Honorable mentions go to Dig & Mig's Sommervarmen, Dr. John's Locked Down, Michael Kiwanuka's Home Again and Meshuggah's Koloss.

Right now I have to go with High on Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis and Torche's Harmonicraft. I want to say Earth's Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II as well but I need to give it another listen, have kind of forgot about it. Also since metalman is putting up 2011 albums that he just discovered, Young Widows' In and Out of Youth and Lightness is amazing. I don't really know much 2012 music that I've checked out.

EDIT: Horseback's Half Blood was pretty good. Nothing has gotten onto my all time super awesome list yet, though.

15. Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe

14. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

13. John Mayer - Born and Raised

-He should really try to stop impersonating Johnny Depp, but alas, a good return to form here.

12. Slash & Myles Kennedy - Apocalyptic Love

11. The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made the Radio

-This album is a modern day lesson in how you do harmonies by arguably the last living masters of the craft.

10. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

9. Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts

8. Sigur Ros - Valtari

-Glad to have them around again, but they're really in danger of becoming simply background music.

7. Dr. John - Locked Down

6. Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream

-This is easily her best album in over a decade, but like a lot of the albums from here on (top one excluded), it's lacking something. Here, it's simply that it goes on too long.

5. The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet

-They're out-Sigur Ros-ing Sigur Ros now. Not the most popular direction shift, but I'm on board. Ironically, my only complaint is that it meanders a bit too much.

4. Jesca Hoop - The House Jack Built

-No other album this year starts as strongly as this one. It drags a bit in the final few songs (an uptempo closer being the exception), but there are some amazing moments to be had here.

3. Shinedown - Amaryllis

-So long as I don't get wrapped up in the damn-near saccharine lyrics, this is one of the best mainstream rock bands going right now.

2. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

-A surprising amount of replay value in this one. Roth and the brothers know they're old and can't party like madmen anymore, but they're still a greatly talented band with a knack for good hard rock songs.

1. Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now?

-The best complete album by miles thus far. Every song is expertly done, catchy, and worthy of multiple listens. Barring an outright stellar effort from Soundgarden, I don't expect anyone to best this.

Blunderbuss by Jack White is probably might favorite album of the year right now. For me, it's just been a mediocre year. A lot of "good" albums but nothing that really hit me hard. Maybe the new Sleigh Bells (Reign of Terror) and the mixtape from Odd Future, "Vol. 2".

It's only half way through the year, though. I'm expecting Frank Ocean's new one to blow my goddamn mind.

New ones by Simian Mobile Disco, Hot Chip, John Talabot, Lone, Shackleton, Blondes, Jimmy Edgar and Squarepusher. Of those, Simian Mobile Disco is probably my favorite.

That was dubstep?

Yes! When I originally got into dubstep it was spooky stuff like that that passed for dubstep, and I guess that Burial was one of the pioneers of that. It was a few years later when it became mainstream that dubstep had become club banger loud party music. Plenty of that stuff is nice, but I prefer the spooky stuff.

Wait, I actually prefer dubstep from the period where there was tension between the haunting, dangerous style and the loud, party dubstep. Sometimes within the same song! Brilliant stuff!

Although Jamaican dub trumps all.

i should have expanded. I wasn't being critical as I liked it, like as background to doing work/on the train typoe music, but I had only known dub-step as the screechy off kilter sex music of machines.

i should have expanded. I wasn't being critical as I liked it, like as background to doing work/on the train typoe music, but I had only known dub-step as the screechy off kilter sex music of machines.

My favourite dubstep simile thus far has been the sound of Optimus Prime having a shit in reference to Skrillex.

The Taxpayers' "God, Forgive These Bastards...," their concept album based on the life of a homeless man they knew, has really been growing on me lately. It's sound really alienated me at first, as it's very much inspired by jazz (the whole album makes me think they've been spending a lot of time in New Orleans), but after that initial shock I've started to really dig it.