Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

You are correct. It doesn't have to be.

Doesn't have to be speedball that starts it all.

But hey, if they can get him it's a big coup. Which is why they wanted Oz Corp in avengers in the first place. Enough that Sony can expect when they walk up to a table to keep creative control over something they already own.

I mean, isn't that the stance ANY of us would take when sitting at a bargaining table?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That displays a clear lack of understanding of what Disney was actually after. They want to weave Spider-Man into their existing storylines that they've been painstakingly putting together for years, they don't just want to split profits on whatever other Spider-Man movies Sony farts out. To assume that they were going to pay for the majority of the film and have no say over its creative direction is absolutely moronic, and pretty much right in line with what we're learning about Sony Pictures.

They want Spider-Man back, they don't need Spider-Man back because everything they put out makes a fuckload of money. Sony meanwhile is busy once again tarnishing the Spider-Man brand and are going to see diminished returns on future pictures because their current version of the franchise is not the hit they need it to be. They clearly overestimated how much leverage they had and simply refused to make the most sensible decision of just letting Disney handle it and sitting back watching it rake in the cash. Which, lo and behold, is exactly what Sony's corporate office seems to want to happen now that Sony Pictures is the laughingstock of Hollywood.

It sounds crazy considering the actual numbers on them, but no, they aren't making as much money as Sony hoped. ASM 2 was the lowest grossing of the four Marvel related films that came out last year, and Spider-Man is arguably the most well known and recognizable character to appear in any of them. Plus, they aren't all that well reviewed and they have no idea what direction to go in, hence the delays with the third film and the whole initial Disney negotiations.

And let me be clear, its perfectly reasonable that Sony would go into a meeting with Disney wanting creative control. What's ridiculous is for them to get bullish and turn it into a sticking point, especially when their asking Disney to finance the majority of the project

• Like 1

I was looking up box office takings of all the Spidey movies, because of Benkid's post and ended up clicking on an all too positive review of ASM2. There was a comment attached to the aforementioned review and I thought I'd share it with you guys

After the desperate dirges that were Thor 2 and Captain America 2, finally we have an action packed hero sequel worthy of the Marvel badge. Well done all and especially to Emma Stone, who just captivated me for the whole movie. Bravo!

I liked Cap 2. :( Thor 2 not as much but I liked Cap 2. :(

Ok Maxx whatever. What YOU display is a clear lack of understanding of how you make a deal. Someone doesn't walk in and say "we will pay 60% for 100% control of something you already own. Gimme."

That same something that made Sony billions over 5 movies.

The idea that sony would walk in and say "ok, because Marvel will control our property better than us" is the moronic part of this conversation.

Seriously, you think Sony wouldn't try to keep IP in their own hands? That's straight up naive. Who cares if marvel makes better movies, it's them that want spiderman enough to pay, not the other way around. Why shouldn't the people that own it make demands?

Oh an in case anyone is wondering, 4 billion profit for 1 billion cost for 5 movies.

3 billion. And they wouldn't try to keep creative control? Christ. Whatever.

Gosh someone has a stick up their ass. I wasn't implying YOU don't have an understanding of what Disney wanted, I was implying Sony didn't.

If we want to talk about things you don't have an understanding of, we can discuss how you apparently think giving up creative control somehow dictates how much money they'll earn. No, going into a deal wanting to do a 60/40 split would be what would have dictated how much money they earn, and they took that stance while still trying to maintain creative control. So they were obviously cool with making only 40% of the box office of whatever the film would have made. Giving up creative control of the film is also NOT the same as giving up rights to the character. Sony would keep making money on all future Disney Spider-Man movies, and retain ownership of the character after they finish making however many movies they agreed to.

You seem to be arguing from a point that Disney wanted to pay 60% of the production cost of one movie to completely own the Spider-Man rights again. That's not what would have happened.

What you're thinking is a really sensible company standpoint is probably more Amy Pascal and company not wanting to admit they've fucked up Spider-Man and demanding that their current version gets put into the MCU as is. It's the guy no one likes paying the cool kids to hang out with him. Take out that childish viewpoint and think about the Spider-Man property purely as a money making device, and you have Sony Corporate's view of the whole thing. Thus, not really surprising that the parent company is happy to do a 60/40 split and just sit back while Disney makes them another truckload of money.

Care to defend Sony Pictures discussions to sue Bill Murray for not wanting to be a part of their Ghostbusters remake, while we're at it? Because those are the kind of people you're currently going to bat for.

Never implied what you're saying, and I'm not "going to bat" for anyone. I'm saying it doesn't matter how you feel spiderman should be handled, it's 100% in the hands if one company and so they will of course be sitting down at any bargaining table with that in mind.

Wouldn't matter what company, or what deal. You go in strong at any bargaining table. The fact it's a franchise with 3 billion in the black should only add to the resolve.

And as I said, it was perfectly reasonable for them to start there. It got less reasonable when they wanted another company to finance the majority of the project, and reads like they were completely out of touch with why Disney was talking to them at all. Which, again, is not in the least bit surprising in light of recent events. Sony treated them like financiers, which they clearly never approached them as, rather than co-creators.

Finally got around to watching Days of Future Past, pretty good for that messy franchise. Fassbender is awesome, but I still largely hate the Singer-verse, especially that godawful wire work they do anytime someone leaps. Really just want Apocalypse to come and go, and then hopefully they'll take things in an entirely new direction, with far less leather.

• Like 1