The Olympics or the World Cup?

METALMAN

Lose the Olympics. Much as I love the novelty of the wacky sports I'm only really watching for the athletics, and I'd rather the World Cup than that.

Edit: actually, what damshow said.

Edited by Colly

Just dump the World Cup and make the Olympic tournament a 32 team tournament with the best players and nations around. That way we win, and that guy loses but thinks he won.

I agree.

Get rid of the Olympics. I really, really fucking loved this year's Olympics. The 24 channels, the lack of job helping me to watch it for pretty much every waking hour, the unusual sports I got to watch like handball, taekwondo, amateur wrestling and fencing... it was fantastic. But at some point, I'll get a job. And I'll come home after like 5 and I'll have to watch recaps of the events for my fix. And it just won't be the same because it's not in London. However much I tell myself I'll keep up with athletics and cycling from now on, I won't for long. Once the buzz dies down, that'll be it. I'll probably forget all about athletics until the next World Championships and the only cycling I might watch is the Tour de France, and then the Olympics will come and I'll have fun watching it again and then that'll be that.

But I'll always love the World Cup. Even games like Gabon vs Saudi Arabia. It's awesome getting to see players you've only heard of because of Football Manager and keeping up with the breakout stars throughout the tournament, or seeing France exit in the Group Stages and Ghana get within a whisker of the semi-finals. Honestly I could do without England's involvement because the "experts" will invariably link everything back to us and it's all media outlets will concentrate on in the build-up (it's the chief reason I hate Andy Murray) only for us to fail, but I guess everything has negatives.

As much as I loved handball in the Olympics or seeing Rudisha smash the 800m record or Bolt's antics, it'll always be football for me.

Edited by Pesci

If you're any country other than the USA or China, you'd probably want to dump the Olympics if given the choice. However, that would backfire in about 20-30 years when all of the resources the Chinese government devotes to those sports would end up going directly to soccer/football. Just look back to the '80s and how mediocre China was in the medal count. In 24 years, they've quickly become the only country to compete with the US in the summer games and should eventually dominate by 2024.

I'd gladly swap the winter games though because they suck for the most part.

Scrap the world cup. The olympics just has so many different values that football simply cannot come close to. Not to mention the amount of where were you moments. I will never forget where I was during the opening ceremony, Jess' gold and Mo Farrah's gold.

Scrap the world cup. The olympics just has so many different values that football simply cannot come close to. Not to mention the amount of where were you moments. I will never forget where I was during the opening ceremony, Jess' gold and Mo Farrah's gold.

Me neither, but that's because I was sat on exactly the same bit of exactly the same sofa for all three. And some waterpolo.