One Season Wonders

Benji

In this thread, we celebrate shows that were only a single series long. Be it 24 plus episodes, or just the classic British sitcom of six.

Obviously a big favourite will be Firefly, which was on just long enough to capture our hearts, but not long enough to burn us. This thread was inspired by Sirens, a UK TV series about paramedics which me and Kaney were chatting about in the donators. I was one of the few who loved FlashForward, and still hope that the concept is reused for a film or something, because I love the book.

Probably my biggest one was Studio 60, which was your usual Sorkin affair, but with one of my favourite casts ever, and with near perfect cast chemistry and some of Sorkin's most balanced (for Sorkin, that is) writing.

• Like 1

Wonderfalls. One of many great, quirky Bryan Fuller shows that just don't last, this one only got a single season in the quagmire that is Fox's Friday nights and deserved so much more.

(For contrast, both Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies at least got second seasons if nothing else.)

Let's see here. A few of my favorites have already been mentioned, namely Firefly, Freaks and Geeks, and Terriers. I'd also recommend Undeclared. Luck was also great and pretty recent. Although naming miniseries is probably beside the point, I gotta mention Generation Kill somewhere :shifty:.

The Finder was brilliant but was only a mid-season replacement for something else I think and was never renewed. Boourns.

Mental was another good show about some psychologist British guy in America. Maybe too similar to stuff like House/Mentalist/Lie To Me to carve it's own niche though.

The Playboy Club looked promising. If only it would have been on Showtime or one of the premium channels rather than NBC.

To be fair, something as critically reviled as The Playboy Club would have never made it to any premium channel better than Starz or Cinemax.

Huff

The Middleman

Andy Richter Controls The Universe

My So-Called Life

Wonderfalls. One of many great, quirky Bryan Fuller shows that just don't last, this one only got a single season in the quagmire that is Fox's Friday nights and deserved so much more.

(For contrast, both Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies at least got second seasons if nothing else.)

And it was better than Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies, IMO.

My So-called Life was only one series?! Well there you go.

NATHAN BARLEY!

It's actually really well written and the characters are set up much more intelligently than it at first seems (not that the characters themselves are any more intelligent).

It was also created by the mighty Chris Morris.

The Playboy Club looked promising. If only it would have been on Showtime or one of the premium channels rather than NBC.

To be fair, something as critically reviled as The Playboy Club would have never made it to any premium channel better than Starz or Cinemax.

Cinemax probably would have been a good network for it. It just seemed like a total non-fit for anything network TV.