The Phantom Pain

Lint

• 3 months later...

Yea, having watched the trailer and everything, I'm pumped. Though I'm still a bit confused as to how this will fit in the MGS timeline. Is it Solid Snake? Big Boss? It seemed to be implied Solid Snake died shortly after MGS4. But Big Boss never lost a limb. Either way, I'll buy it and play the shit out of it though. And hopefully Ground Zeros isn't like the other offshoot MGS games, portable exclusive. I want to play both so bad

Wait...just read Daid Hayter won't be returning as the voice of Snake/Big Boss...kinda makes me want it a bit less...

Yea, having watched the trailer and everything, I'm pumped. Though I'm still a bit confused as to how this will fit in the MGS timeline. Is it Solid Snake? Big Boss? It seemed to be implied Solid Snake died shortly after MGS4. But Big Boss never lost a limb. Either way, I'll buy it and play the shit out of it though. And hopefully Ground Zeros isn't like the other offshoot MGS games, portable exclusive. I want to play both so bad

Wait...just read Daid Hayter won't be returning as the voice of Snake/Big Boss...kinda makes me want it a bit less...

Wait, what? Why? There can't be a Metal Gear Solid game without David Hayter.

I imagine they're going for a more 'senior'-sounding voice for Big Boss this time round, given that he'll be fairly old during the game's timeline. Some fans are using the idea that owing to the fact that he isn't a clone, Big Boss ages at a slower rate than Solid Snake as justification for Hayter's apparent inability to reprise his 'Old Snake' role from MGS4.

That said, perhaps we'll get to hear Hayter's voice through an audio flashback sequence or two. We all know how much Kojima likes though.

Well, Hayter has apparently tweeted he's had nothing to do with MGS5. I wouldn't have a huge issue, since thye used a different voice for Solidus in MGS2, and

Spoilers for MGS4

Big Boss had a different voice at the end of MGS4

It'd just be odd to hear a Snake character without Hayter being in it..

I don't have a huge issue with it - Hayter has voiced the "in-his prime" versions of both Snake and Big Boss and doing Old Snake in MGS4 wasn't all that enjoyable for him I believe. In an interview I read it hurt his throat quite a bit.. so they'll be going for the same kind of thing here.

There's six minutes of new gameplay out there as well that displays all of the weird ass movement (which now makes sense, since Big Boss has been in a coma for 9 years and is now trying to move around) and a few interesting things like young Psycho Mantis giving lead to some form of fire ghost Volgin.

I'm thinking all of the visions of the past and enemies from the franchise are probably what the title refers to "The Phantom Pain" is something to do with feeling pain in a missing limb, isn't it? I wonder if it has any connection to this being a clone of Snake, with his "Phantom Pain" being something of a link to Snakes past, which is why he see's things like Volgin and Psycho Mantis.

• Like 1

You're playing as Big Boss though - a phantom pain/limb is indeed something that has been amputated or removed. The person can still feel the appendage as if it's there.

But yeah, it's pretty much confirmed that you are playing as Big Boss.. perhaps his limb was repaired later or something along those lines?

You're playing as Big Boss though - a phantom pain/limb is indeed something that has been amputated or removed. The person can still feel the appendage as if it's there.

But yeah, it's pretty much confirmed that you are playing as Big Boss.. perhaps his limb was repaired later or something along those lines?

It'd make even more sense on the Volgin front in that case, seeing as Big Boss was the one that took on Volgin.