Players who played for your team in the last 10 years that you'd forgotten about

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geremi and Quaresma.

Never remember Geremi when thinking of Chelsea midfielders, and Quaresma had a very dull loan spell where he played just five games.

I remember Quaresma precisely *because* he was a rather meaningless loan who never played. :shifty: Just like the mighty Mineiro!

Jiri Jarosik and Maniche are two I'd suggest. I also tend to forget about Asier Del Horno, unless I'm thinking "now who was that left-back that I never remember...".

Gets a bit shadier once I go back through the Ranieri years. Slavisa Jokanovic? Pierre Issa? Sometimes I forget Bernard Lambourde, sometimes not.

I doubt most fans of the teams outside Portugal, where Quaresma played, remember anything of his time there. The guy had a ton of talent, but he never shown anything in big teams, except for Porto, and to a smaller extent, Sporting.

Looking at the list of players on Wiki who have played under 24 games for Liverpool:

Patrice Luzi - a goalkeeper who made 1 appearance in 2004.

Josemi - Who made 35 appearances and was part of the deal we got for Michael Owen's transfer to Madrid IIRC.

Antonio Baragan - who made all of 1 appearance.

Mauricio Pellegrino - 12 appearances in 2005.

Stephen Darby - who I think we had for a lot longer than I thought we did, and was most recently seen playing for Bradford at Wembley

Damien Plessis - who made 8 appearances for Liverpool and his career has gone south, now he's playing in Ligue 2 in France.

Milan Jovanovic - Rafa's last signing! He got a bit of a shaft when Hodgson came in.

John Welsh - Now at PNE, former reserve team captain who is probably the poster boy for Liverpool's ability to muck up bringing youth players through to the first team which has only just started to turn around.

Also we had Paul Jones on loan for a while once.

Too many poster boys from back in the time. Danny Guthrie was meant to be one of the next big things for us, Paul Anderson and Richie Partridge outwide were two others. Jack Hobbs and Zak Whitbread.

In terms of players not from the academy. Alou Diarra is a prime example 3 seasons at Anfield after we got him from Bayern as a youngster and he didn't play a single game, he just kept getting loaned out to France. Christian Ziege, Abel Xavier and Nick Barmby I forgot we had during the Houllier era.

Its mostly people from the Houllier era I forgot we had with the exception of a few random signings that Rafa made such as when we had an obsession of buying right backs like Jan Kromkamp

Looking at the list of players on Wiki who have played under 24 games for Liverpool:

Patrice Luzi - a goalkeeper who made 1 appearance in 2004.

Josemi - Who made 35 appearances and was part of the deal we got for Michael Owen's transfer to Madrid IIRC.

Antonio Baragan - who made all of 1 appearance.

Mauricio Pellegrino - 12 appearances in 2005.

Stephen Darby - who I think we had for a lot longer than I thought we did, and was most recently seen playing for Bradford at Wembley

Damien Plessis - who made 8 appearances for Liverpool and his career has gone south, now he's playing in Ligue 2 in France.

Milan Jovanovic - Rafa's last signing! He got a bit of a shaft when Hodgson came in.

John Welsh - Now at PNE, former reserve team captain who is probably the poster boy for Liverpool's ability to muck up bringing youth players through to the first team which has only just started to turn around.

Also we had Paul Jones on loan for a while once.

Too many poster boys from back in the time. Danny Guthrie was meant to be one of the next big things for us, Paul Anderson and Richie Partridge outwide were two others. Jack Hobbs and Zak Whitbread.

In terms of players not from the academy. Alou Diarra is a prime example 3 seasons at Anfield after we got him from Bayern as a youngster and he didn't play a single game, he just kept getting loaned out to France. Christian Ziege, Abel Xavier and Nick Barmby I forgot we had during the Houllier era.

Its mostly people from the Houllier era I forgot we had with the exception of a few random signings that Rafa made such as when we had an obsession of buying right backs like Jan Kromkamp

Don't forget Neil Mellor with his mini Stevie G looks, that's the definition of a Liverpool poster boy.

add to my list

Patrik Andersson - eventual Bayern Munich and Barcelona player

Martin Dahlin - star of Euro 92 and the World cup in 94

Richard Witschge

Eyal Berkovic - on loan from Celtic

Alan Mahon - on loan from Sporting Lisbon

Dino Baggio

I'm clearly not a very good fan

add to my list

Patrik Andersson - eventual Bayern Munich and Barcelona player

Martin Dahlin - star of Euro 92 and the World cup in 94

Richard Witschge

Eyal Berkovic - on loan from Celtic

Alan Mahon - on loan from Sporting Lisbon

Dino Baggio

I'm clearly not a very good fan

Well, if you didn't remember Alan Mahon, the same must be told from Sporting fans... He only played one game there.

Clearly a star player.

There aren't many that I tend to forget for Arsenal, but there are a bunch of youth players who briefly graced the League Cup teams whose names I come across and think "Oh yeah, I haven't thought about Arturo Lupoli in about 5 years", or "Paola Vernazza, that was the guy London news reported as being Arsenal's next big local lad-turned star in the late 90s".

Looking through the Arsenal database Jerome Thomas I do forget. And David Grodin, as briefly as his spell was.

Alan Ball too. But then I wasn't really around at the time so his white boots didn't quite burn in the memory as they might've for a generation or two before me.

Otherwise I pride myself on being able to recall the Kaba Diawara's and Nelson Vivas' of Arsenal past.

I wish I could find a copy of Pro Evo 4 and a console to play it on. I have neither anymore.

Arsenal.com used to be regularly updated with tales of how Lupoli and Bendtner had scored 1,000 goals in their youth and reserve team careers. He actually looked a decent enough player when I saw him live in the League Cup and scored a couple. But then so did Kerrea Gilbert once. And Quincy Owusu-Abeyie.