Star Trek TV

Your Mom

As far as that Preservers episode, honestly, most scientists actually think that advanced sentient species, humanoid or not, will most likely at least stand upright with limbs specifically for object manipulation, and have eyes that face forward. Just because it seems like it would be the most advantageous set of traits.

So I was at a convention this past weekend, and Nicole De Boer, Avery Brooks, and Cirroc Lofton were in the main room on the final day. VIP Ticket was well worth it just for that.

Nicci (as she said her friends and family call her) talked about becoming Ezri, and shared the story of how she got cast as the new Dax, which was hilarious, before taking questions. She was actually quite funny and charming throughout the entire thing, and I was glad that I got the chance to ask the last question on that one. I think I kind of threw her for a loop, because I asked her whether she decided that acting would be her career, or if it just happened, and she really had to walk herself through whether or not she had. Her answers were all quite in depth, but there was never a dull moment.

Avery Brooks was a huge change in gears, because, well, it's Avery Brooks, and the man has this kind of inner force that is just ... well, I actually can't describe it. He talked about a lot of spiritual things, but some of his answers were unintentionally funny. For example, somebody asked him a series of questions, and he just kept giving, "Yes," or, "No," responses. He definitely talked about how being brown (his phrase) made his position in Hollywood clearer to him than if he had been another race, including the week where he was shooting the DS9 pilot and security treated him like he was persona non grata. Overall, it was a far deeper look in to the man's philosophy of life instead of a look in to his career.

And then there was Cirroc Lofton, who talked about Avery Brooks' influence on his life as the father figure he didn't have prior to being cast in Deep Space Nine. Beyond talking about the show, he basically gave us a Sunday sermon - in the middle of the afternoon. He talked about how Ethiopians are probably the only black Jewish race on the planet, given how often they're mentioned in the Bible, especially as being wed to Jews or serving Jews or visiting Israel. His mother is Ethiopian, so she told him he was Jewish throughout his young life, even though they were definitely in a Christian church. And so he talked about his faith, and how his genealogy affected that. He took some questions at the end, but he was only given about forty minutes (he shared the start of his time with the end of Avery Brooks'), so there weren't that many. Anyway, go check out the man's restaurant if you're in California - Cafe Cirroc!

Definitely an interesting mix of personalities there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, the Enterprise writers want to bring the show back on Netflix.

With all the recent hubbub about TV show revivals, it's only natural that a series with as devoted a fanbase as Star Trek would want in on some of that sweet renewal action.

Trek writer Rob Bolivar and Doug Drexler (VFX guru and designer of the NX-01) have launched their own campaign to get Star Trek: Enterprise back for a fifth season. With the recent original content boom from companies like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon - to say nothing of notably successful Kickstarter campaigns - Bolivar and Drexler believe that Enterprise still has a chance to wrap things up for Captain Jonathan Archer and his crew.

"A short while ago, [Enterprise EP] Brannon Braga mentioned that with enough support, it's possible that Netflix could resurrect Enterprise for future seasons or perhaps a movie," Bolivar said. "We took that to heart and started our campaign."

For more information on the Enterprise Season 5 Netflix campaign, you can head on over to the initiative's official Facebook page.

- Source (IGN)

I'd rather a brand new Trek show, but I suppose even Enterprise being revived is better than no Trek TV show.

My issue with enterprise is actually the captain.

He delivers his lines so...ugh.

"State your business"

"We're from earth!"

"Never heard of you."

"We are actually...". Looks back to the crew as if sharing some joke thats hilarious but it really isn't..."new to the neighborhood."

Every....fucking....episode.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know how much of that I agree with, but it did lead me to read this article which was hillarious.

• Like 3

It's a little cheap to pad out a list by going:

1) Major character A is terrible

2) Major character B is terrible

3) Major character C is terrible

4) Only the minor characters were any good

And indeed it's a bit misleading to make this complaint on the basis that the highest ranking characters are by default the most important - though not having counted, I'd bet that the number of Doctor (a "minor" character, they say)-centric episodes or sub-plots massively outweighs the number of Torres (aka Major Character B)-centric episodes or sub-plots, which would presumably make him a more major character in the way that matters.

Other than that, I agree with a lot of the points - particularly Chakotay's one-dimensionalness, and point #5 about the complete and immediate brushing under the carpet of the original Maquis premise.

The overuse of technology in point #6 is a bit shiftier, particularly when they hark on about replicators solving everything. No doubt the writers quickly realised that there are only so many times they can write lines into the script about "oh we only have X torpedoes left, better not waste them" before it gets silly and burdensome on the dialogue for no obvious point. Really the only ways out of that were to a) push it to extreme where the show becomes about gritty survival (think "Year of Hell", extended), or b) forget about it and just say they get everything they need by trading and stuff.

Now true, the former would have been pretty awesome and interesting if done right, but on the other hand it would have negated lots of other directions they wanted to take the show so we would have lost a lot of the good stuff that actually happened as well. So in summary...I guess they just didn't have the balls? Or maybe they thought that fans would treat it as a last straw and abandon the show in a flurry of "this isn't true Star Trek" indignation if they went even grittier. I dunno.

So, eh. Voyager was a mixed bag. But that's nothing new to anyone.

• Like 1