Star Trek TV

Your Mom

I've always wondered - what was with Kirk's green open shirt uniform that suddenly appears regularly during season two?

In-universe, no reason.

Real reason: The uniform first appeared in "The Enemy Within", i.e. "I'M CAPTAIN KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRK!", so they decided to use it to distinguish the good Kirk (green) from evil (standard). I guess Shatner liked it since it made him stand out. Personally, I always thought it was dumb, but it's a lot better than that crap they wore in The Motion Picture :shifty:

• Like 1

Terry Farrell is a very beautiful woman.

Bashir really is a cock.

Kai Winn is really under-rated as a bad woman.

Yes.

Bashir's actor is horrible at playing anything but Bashir. The time he gets possessed by that murderer dude was some of the most painful acting I've seen in my life.

I didn't know people underrated Kai Winn. She's despicable and it's fantastic. Dukat almost has to team with her in the end, he could never be as hateable as she was.

You know for all the praise In The Pale Moonlight gets (a bit over-hyped IMO), The Visitor is a damn powerful episode.

It was, though In the Pale Moonlight isn't over-hyped. It portrays the fun difficult decisions that have to be made, something Star Trek as a whole wasn't very keen on (thanks to Roddenberry's vision of a future where nobody ever argues and always does the right thing :shifty: ).

I didn't know people underrated Kai Winn. She's despicable and it's fantastic.

Yeah, I know. It's like "Hey, let's make Nurse Ratched even more of a bitch!" and viola. Only problem I would see is just another strong recurring character on a show with strong recurring characters. Winn is a character you can hate from the get-go, from her introduction, creepily watching the school in session and jumping on the fundamentalist band wagon.

Rewatching the original series and realising just how terrible a Captain that Kirk actually is. Constantly leads the landing party, often with his first officer, and yet still manages to have what I'm almost positive is the highest crew death rate of Star Trek Captains, he's constantly having sex with alien women, despite the fact that God only knows what inter-species illnesses and bacteria may be transferred, and I'm almost certain that open shirt isn't really acceptable Star Fleet uniform. Have some standards, Kirk :angry:

Look at his record from the movies!

TMP: Usurps Enterprise, ignores first officer, no idea what the hell he's doing.

WOK: Disregards regulations, gets trainees killed.

SFS: Steals Enterprise, blatantly breaks orders .

TVH: Lives on Vulcan for a month, breaks more orders.

TFF: Gives in to mad man's request

TUC: Actually pretty reasonable in this one.

GEN: Acts like a dick on the bridge.

• Like 1

Rewatching the original series and realising just how terrible a Captain that Kirk actually is. Constantly leads the landing party, often with his first officer, and yet still manages to have what I'm almost positive is the highest crew death rate of Star Trek Captains, he's constantly having sex with alien women, despite the fact that God only knows what inter-species illnesses and bacteria may be transferred, and I'm almost certain that open shirt isn't really acceptable Star Fleet uniform. Have some standards, Kirk :angry:

Kirk is awesome. End of discussion.

You're all forgetting : meets God, questions his motivations then has him shot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, realising how much I hate Kirk right now. He's a terrible Captain and a massive ass. He's lucky he had Bones and Spock, because by himself he would have got that crew killed several times over. Picard > Sisko > Archer (would be lower, but it's Scott freakin' Bakula) > Janeway > Kirk.

My thoughts on the Captains, in airdate order:

Kirk

Okay, granted, he's had quite a few people die under his command, and he may be an insubordinate, egotistical dick...but he has saved the galaxy quite a few times. That's a hell of a lot more than other captains on this list can say...

PICARD

Ah, Jean-Luc. You did the rational thing and never thought with your cock, always respected the chain of command (Well, when you didn't have to sell tickets :shifty: ), the only fault you have is you're too high on the explorer thing.

SISKO

The commander of Deep Space 9, and the Emissary of the Prophets. Decorated combat officer, widower, father, mentor, and oh yes, the man who started the war with the Dominion. Somehow I thought he'd be taller.

:shifty:

That being said...Ben's my favorite. Ben don't take no shit. Maquis fucking around? FUCK YOU, POISON THE PLANET! Romulans being assholes? FORGE EVIDENCE! Seriously, he's like Starfleet's own Insanity Wolf. He has an incredible relationship with his entire crew, and in the very first episode, you see just what kind of man he is: One that will do what it takes to get the job done. He blackmails Quark, gives his security officer free reign, the list goes on. The only thing he can't do is beat a baseball team loaded with Vulcans.

JANEWAY

Fucking. Ugh. Captain Always Right. I don't know if it was the writers wanting Janeway to come across as a strong leader and female character, but even if she were a man, it would be worse than Kirk. Future Janeway is a lot more likeable, because at least that woman said "You know what, fuck it."

ARCHER

I admit I didn't see much of Enterprise, but he was better than Janeway :shifty:

IN ORDER:

Sisko, Picard, Kirk, Archer, Janeway.

• Like 1

I think if you are watching TOS as anything other than space adventure story, you've missed the plot a bit. Prime Directive stuff is more of a get-out clause so they don't completely revolutionize every civilization they come across. TOS just lays out everything as a backdrop to them roaming around the stars, Kirk sexing vagina-having aliens and punching dick-having aliens, making fun of Spock and getting country wisdom from Bones.

Ergo Kirk is the best of the captains.

• Like 2

I thought it was the Negh'Var..

No; The Bortas is a Vor'Cha-class battle cruiser. The Negh'Var is a Negh'Var-class :shifty: . At least you didn't think it was the Rotaran.