Games and Films

Ant

I have been on a bit of a video game transition to film kick lately and i've come to thinking of superb games that would make great films (given the right director and writing obviously along with cast).

The Dead Space series i feel could be a brilliant film and could even be a cult classic akin to the Evil Dead series even if the "horror in space" motif has been done to death.

What games do you want to be made into a motion picture? (I was unsure if this was more at home in the Coin Op Arcade or Movies and TV so mods feel free to move)

They already made a Dead Space film. They made a bunch of them.

They're called the Aliens franchise, The Thing and Event Horizon. Only difference is they added an interesting character or two.

I mean, Event Horizon is literally Dead Space. Watch it with clips of The Thing spread throughout and there's barely any difference.

I'll give the same answer I give to pretty much any video game thread -- Psychonauts. Except I'd want a tv show set in that universe, not a movie. You could go monster-of-the-week style with the protagonist going through a different brain each week or you could cover the psychic wars. I think I lean towards monster-of-the-week. Man, I'd watch that so hard.

Metal Gear Solid and The Legend of Zelda.

Zelda would make some great epics, kind of like the LOTR films in look.

MGS would possibly work better as a TV series, as they are really deep. Maybe MGS1 could be turned into a film successfully?

Most games with good stories would need to be a TV show rather than a movie, I think. No way can you take 5+ hours of gameplay and expect the movie version to be any good, especially with things like Uncharted and MGS already being very cinematic in their presentation. At the same time, games with a tonne of characters (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc) would be pretty much impossible to turn into a film that didn't piss a lot of people off, there would be no time to properly flesh out the fan favourites.

Exactly. The changes needed to make any non-speaking protagonist character into a major film character would ruin any chance of it being good off the bat.

Other stuff at the same time does a good enough job of being a movie in its own right (Metal Gear for instance) so that would just end up disappointing as well.

I thought about it a while back in a thread in another forum and I really can't think of anything that would work for a movie, and meet up to expectations.

What's happening with the supposed Uncharted movie, anyway?

Last news was that the director they had lined up, Neil Burger (Limitless), had left to go film a Hunger Games-esque movie. That was a few months ago and there hasn't been any updates since.

David Russell got the rights and thought it'd be a good idea to make a film that isn't remotely to do with, or like, Uncharted. And then he wanted Marky Mark for it and everyone basically told him to fuck off.

Now no one wants it. Possibly through terror of the backlash from casting anyone other than Nathan Fillion as Nathan Drake.

David Russell got the rights and thought it'd be a good idea to make a film that isn't remotely to do with, or like, Uncharted. And then he wanted Marky Mark for it and everyone basically told him to fuck off.

Now no one wants it. Possibly through terror of the backlash from casting anyone other than Nathan Fillion as Nathan Drake.

And this is what happened prior to what I was talking about. <_<

Most games with good stories would need to be a TV show rather than a movie, I think. No way can you take 5+ hours of gameplay and expect the movie version to be any good, especially with things like Uncharted and MGS already being very cinematic in their presentation. At the same time, games with a tonne of characters (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc) would be pretty much impossible to turn into a film that didn't piss a lot of people off, there would be no time to properly flesh out the fan favourites.

To be fair you could say the same thing about a lot of novels (and people have and continue to do so) but there's been good close book adaptations (and plenty of films based off books that aren't considered adaptations, here looking at you Hitchcock) so I don't think its a case of there being no way it could happen. I know that's different because books have a higher cultural capital but more and more directors will have spent their youth as console gamers which might change thing a little bit.

Streets of Rage 2, give me an hour and a half of 2D movie characters punching bad guys in the face repeatedly.

On a serious note, I don't know. Part of me would say Fallout, but you don't need the name Fallout for a great post apocalyptic movie. I will say that there are aspects of Fallout that would be fun if incorporated into a movie (the 50s style homes, ads, and cars in a dystopian future or to somehow involve factions like the Brotherhood of Steel, Cesars Legion, or The Kings.)