WWE 2K14

apsham

Universe mode in '13 was excellent once you downloaded enough CAWs to create the rosters you wanted. I had so much fun creating classic WWF/WCW rosters and recreating the Monday Night Wars all over again and the storylines that were created just by the computer booking matches were great fun to play about with.

If there isn't that much of a difference between WWE '13 and WWE 2K14 I hope that they at least fix the flags issue with cutscenes: they were obviously in the game, but just never seemed to trigger.

Universe mode in '13 was excellent once you downloaded enough CAWs to create the rosters you wanted. I had so much fun creating classic WWF/WCW rosters and recreating the Monday Night Wars all over again and the storylines that were created just by the computer booking matches were great fun to play about with.

If there isn't that much of a difference between WWE '13 and WWE 2K14 I hope that they at least fix the flags issue with cutscenes: they were obviously in the game, but just never seemed to trigger.

I think that was my largest issue - I just didn't get to see most of the content they added to 13's Universe Mode.

Also, if they had some larger, arching stories either with McMahons or warring brands/shows it might've kept me around longer. I know there's the story editor but.....I don't want to.

Still, excited to see what 2K does. Hopefully 2K will reverse the WWE game trend and show us what they've changed with a demo before I put my money down.

it's the most annoying thing when people say "WHY DID THEY WASTE ROSTER SPACES ON DIFFERENT ATTIRES? SHOULD BE AN ALTERNATIVE ATTIRE." ...they are different roster spaces so you can change their entrance and because they have different movesets. it's not like if they were alternative attires, different characters would be in their place, so nothing is lost, although more customisation is gained. urgh.

I beg to differ, especially considering how many glaring omissions there are in WrestleMania mode. I'd much rather we get any of Piper, Sid, Honky Tonk, Perfect, Goldust, Bossman, Bam Bam, Rick Rude, Terry Funk, Demolition, Bulldog or practically anyone else who's had an awesome Mania showing over multiple models of the same character.

Fuck it, I'd take Giant Gonzalez over Ric Flair looking old as shit AND Ric Flair from WrestleMania 24.

It's not like it's that easy though. Giant Gonzalez isn't being omitted in favor of a second Flair, it's a glorified palette swap.

yeah, that was the point I was trying to get across... I didn't do it very well, though! they have to get all sorts of permissions and that for other characters, while other version of characters don't require any more contracts/deals/permission or anything

Well, they did last year with WWE 13 for the Attitude Era matches and it worked out AMAZINGLY well. They don't use a lot in context obviously, and there's more than enough in there of the announcers talking about the people in the match, the situation leading up to it, etc.

With them having the rights to WWF now, it seems weird that they're still using the WWE logo in place of the original. On the announcer front, Heenan would've messed with things since he's a manager, but Gorilla and Jesse surely would've been the right move. Like ap said, the old dialogue was well-done, though I do recall it being a bit jarring to hear HBK and Vince straight outta their segment in 1997 and HHH doing a new take and sounding less boyish than he did back then. Also, the cutscene for Austin/Rock is astounding. One of my favorite parts is the ridiculous chair shots and they got it exactly right in the game.

it's the most annoying thing when people say "WHY DID THEY WASTE ROSTER SPACES ON DIFFERENT ATTIRES? SHOULD BE AN ALTERNATIVE ATTIRE." ...they are different roster spaces so you can change their entrance and because they have different movesets. it's not like if they were alternative attires, different characters would be in their place, so nothing is lost, although more customisation is gained. urgh.

Are you serious? It takes me all of 3 minutes (and it'd be less if the loading times weren't terrible) to switch to my custom attires and the moveset preset of a wrestler in these games. It'd take no effort at all to make it an attire switch rather than a whole other character. The entire reason they don't is to pad out of the roster so it doesn't seem like they didn't want to waste the cash on putting Justin Gabriel in the game. Not that any one cares, but yeah, it's pretty obviously a number boosting move.

So there are a row of question mark spots at the bottom of the 2K14 roster page. Does that mean we have seven more WrestleMania mode wrestlers coming or is it just recognition that there's an entire current roster still to be released? Holding out for Piper and Goldust...

Are you serious? It takes me all of 3 minutes (and it'd be less if the loading times weren't terrible) to switch to my custom attires and the moveset preset of a wrestler in these games. It'd take no effort at all to make it an attire switch rather than a whole other character. The entire reason they don't is to pad out of the roster so it doesn't seem like they didn't want to waste the cash on putting Justin Gabriel in the game. Not that any one cares, but yeah, it's pretty obviously a number boosting move.

What? No seriously - fuck that.

Most of the times if they're adding in multiple versions of a wrestler it's because the guy had different music, a different base look and some minor move differences. The way that games are today it's basically a moot point to say it's "only for padding" when DLC wrestlers exist. It's a ton easier to just.. have the character there than go in, switch everything around and go back. No one's going to want to do that every time.

So there are a row of question mark spots at the bottom of the 2K14 roster page. Does that mean we have seven more WrestleMania mode wrestlers coming or is it just recognition that there's an entire current roster still to be released? Holding out for Piper and Goldust...

It's their way of putting a placeholder to say 'We still have lots more to show you!' They had seven/eight question mark slots before the Wrestlemania mode roster was released and we only knew about 10-15 names.

Well, based on the roster page currently on the game's websiter, there are 49 playable characters announced. That includes the Ultimate Warrior and Badass Undertaker, who I believe are both on the disc and just locked from being used without a code.

If we’re going to try and fill out more spots on the active roster with guys not already formally announced, I’d assume the following are all very safe bets:

Antonio Cesaro

Big E Langston

Brodus Clay

Christian

CM Punk

Cody Rhodes

Damien Sandow

Dean Ambrose

Fandango

Jack Swagger

Kane (Current)

Kofi Kingston

Mark Henry

R-Truth

Roman Reigns

Santino Marella

Seth Rollins

Sheamus

Sin Cara

Tensai

Titus O’Neil

Wade Barrett

That gets you to 71. Plus there are also always a handful of divas that make it in, so let’s throw in:

AJ Lee

Brie Bella

Cameron

Kaitlyn

Layla

Naomi

Nikki Bella

And we’re up to 78. There hasn’t been an official number floated out there, but as is customary they are saying this will be the biggest roster ever, so there is still plenty of room to bring back more people from last year that haven’t been named yet (Ryder, 3MB, Usos, etc.) and maybe a few random legends that aren’t in the 30 years of WM mode.

As they didn’t really show up until the summer, I’d assume RVD, Curtis Axel, and the Wyatts all wind up up as DLC at some point.

It's their way of putting a placeholder to say 'We still have lots more to show you!' They had seven/eight question mark slots before the Wrestlemania mode roster was released and we only knew about 10-15 names.

But.......Piper.

I noticed that too, especially since he was the second wrestler they showed. I'll keep hoping.

I want to play the WrestleMania matches, but it the gameplay looks exactly the same. I think my decision to purchase will hinge on Universe improvements.