Steam Summer Sale 2014

Benji

15 cents away from 10 dollars purely from cards! It's been a long road. I have many people to thank.

I have a phenomenal $.88. I'm so proud that I might just give up saving for something big and buy Super Hexagon with the next card I get.

EDIT: We also have a recipient for the key! Thanks for playing!

Even though you already gave it away, that's okay, ROC :P Took a look at the Steam page and I'm not sure if I would really play it much. Figured it'd be better for you to give it to someone who actually wants to play it.

I am well within my budget for the week, so I bought Civ V.

Steam could only wave that in front of me for so long before I boke.

Humble Bundle is a website that very much popularized the 'pay what you want' method of selling media in the realm of gaming. Not sure if it was a pioneer for other mediums as well, there's only been a few other things that did it as I can recall, Radiohead for one but I can't remember if that was before or after HB started But, I digress.

Every so often they'll offer a bundle on their website that puts together a bunch of (usually) indie games for whatever price you're willing to pay. Be it 1 penny, 1 dollar or 100 dollars. Indeed, it's often the case that people compete to offer the highest purchase price. You get DRM free copies of the games (across different platforms like Mac and Linux where applicable) and sometimes extras like soundtracks. It used to be that you got Steam keys for games that had them, even if you paid 1 penny, but people abused it and they instigated a $1 minimum for Steam keys. They also started adding an average price in order to get one or two extra games. Like, for $1 you'd get say 5 or so games but if you paid the average asking price of $5, you'd get 7.

It's a great system and you're able to pick up a lot of quality titles for much less than you'd pay on Steam or other services. Like, the last big Indie Bundle had stuff like Hotline Miami, Awesomenauts and Little Inferno. Plus you're able to split your money between the developers, charity and Humble themselves (to go towards servers etc etc). They usually stick to general Indie Bundles but they've also branched out into Android, Music and eBook bundles. Plus, they've recently started doing weekly bundles which last for one week and are a little smaller in scope, usually focusing on a game or two from one franchise or developer.

They've also managed to spawn a bunch of similar 'bundle' websites like Indie Royale and Indie Gala which follow similar structures but differ slightly such as one minimum price for all the games on offer or a tiered structure where you can pay differing amounts for different amounts of games.

I barely ever buy games for my PC these days (its naff basically) but everything I've got in the last few years has just been from Humble Bundles, they're ace. Just got the last Android one too, Broken Sword plus half a dozen others for £4? Madness.

Damn it, all the sales I would've bought shit from happened earlier in the week when I had no money. This new group has pretty much nothing that interests me.

I feel exactly the same! Don't all the games go back down to their lowest sale price on Monday, though?