EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2013: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Never seen The League, don't even know what it's about.

Masters of Sex was a show I watched expecting it to be shit, but it wound up being one of my new favourites of the year. A great show that, as someone else said, feels like it shouldn't work but really does. Lizzy Caplan, Michael Sheen, Beau Bridges, and Allison Janney are all constantly on fine form and with some fantastic character interaction, I'm hoping season two keeps up the quality.

It's Always Sunny I've yet to watch this year's episodes as I only got into it this year, but I'm about five/six seasons in and I'm noticing it becoming increasingly same-y. Good show that seems to be overstaying it's welcome.

Never watched Person of Interest, it just didn't interest this person.

Newsroom season one was good, Newsroom season two was great. They fixed all the issues they had in the first season and created a wonderfully coherent season with some incredibly touching moments.

Always Sunny was appointment watching with my friends back in college (in Philly no less), but the show has spent a number of years not mixing anything up and every episode feeling like a rehash. Not the fault of anyone really, it's just something that got extended for far too many seasons.

The League has been going down a similar path, it was a perfect blend when the fantasy football was still an important part about the show but they would spend entire episodes also not touching on it at all. Now the show has no direction and is just trying to tell jokes.

What I've seen of The Newsroom, which was season two, I enjoyed. Very much an Aaron Sorkin show, but they approached a lot of issues and it made for some real compelling TV.

Always Sunny is still pretty funny, but nowhere near the quality that it used to be. I find it more hit or miss now than anything, where last season some episodes were just bad, where others had me in tears laughing. Such is life when a comedy goes on too long.

I still like the League, too, even if it's not as good as the first few seasons.

Haven't watched Masters of Sex, but I've heard good things, so I might seek out that first season.

I can't stand Newsroom, and I don't know why. I watched some of the first season, and it was ok, but for some reason it just doesn't click with me.

I've heard it gets way better too but I already have one good CBS procedural in my life and too many shows to watch as it is.

The League and Always Sunny are "hmm, I don't have anything better to watch on Netflix right now" shows for me.

• Like 1

I certainly see where you're coming from Jeff, but fortunately for me I don't tend to watch too many American procedural dramas so don't mind the odd one or two if they have an interesting gimmick.

You are one of my faves so I will assume you didn't get the message about a week ago. No more Jeff :(N):

using up my One GIF per Year allotment riiiiiight now.

ku-xlarge.gif

20. South Park (65 pts, appeared on eight ballots) (Last Year: #25)

HowIMetYourMother_zps36eb5951.jpg

19. How I Met Your Mother (65 pts, appeared on eleven ballots) (Last Year: #14)

Elementary_zps89bb9249.jpg

18. Elementary (68 pts, appeared on eight ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

Archer_zpsb382bee9.jpg

17. Archer (68 pts, appeared on eleven ballots) (Last Year: #19)

BigBangTheory_zps7b357ed7.jpg

16. The Big Bang Theory (69 pts, appeared on seven ballots) (Last Year: #12)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 51 TV Shows of 2013: There used to be a sign saying "CAUTION. WET FLOOR." Really told people what was going on.

I imagine the people who watch it just don't bring it up here because it just prompts a round of "BLARRRRRRRRGH FUCK THAT" from most of the board's active commenters.

It's not that shocking, really. It's literally the most popular sitcom on the planet and it finished higher last year.

I've yet to see another scene on television that quite compares to stuff like Dwights Fire Drill.

That's funny, because that scene is the exact reason that I stopped watching The Office.

Well, you're terrible.

Big Bang Theory placing at all is terrible and I blame JohnnyPerfect entirely. I don't even know if he voted for it, that just seems like a good bet.

It placing above Elementary is even worse.

Otherwise, HIMYM stopped being good a long time ago and South Park's place is fine. It still puts out a decent episode every now and then, probably could have gone a bit lower then.