Batman: Arkham Knight

What's so good about next-gen? Looks the same to me. It's just the old game but now you can drive a car, which will probably be incredibly awkward.

You can do more on next generation - there's more room on the discs, better processing power. He was referring to the fact that they did pretty much everything scale wise that they could with Arkham City. They wouldn't be putting it off the older generation for shits and giggles.

• Like 3

Yeah, it got pretty bad towards the end of the last gen with processing power. I think the worst case was Borderlands 2, where they had to make the gun models huge so the game wouldn't have to render like 1/3rd of the screen. All so it could run at 30fps. And it still tanked in certain areas with tons of enemies. It's not just about how the game looks, it's about how much more detail can go into the game. It's the difference between GTA San Andreas having mostly barren streets with stick figures walking around waiting to be run over and Skyrim having a world where you can walk from one half to the other and experience a thousand different things on your journey.

• Like 1

In one of the articles about the game by...GameInformer I believe, one of the designers of the game stated that with next-gen there would be zero load times, meaning the end of "enter building, black screen." As well, the shift from cutscenes to gameplay would be seemless as everything would be taking place in the Unreal Engine.

Here is the best page I've found with all of the tidbits.

• Like 1

"There’s also this astounding quote from lead character artist Albert Feliu. He told Game Informer that one character in Arkham Knight has more polygons than the entirety of Arkham Asylum.

'At the beginning, we started making characters that were about three to four times the polygon count and texture sizes of Arkham City,” he said. "As we kept going with every character we just pushed it more. It's the kind of thing that sounds insane. Like one character is as big as the polygon count of Arkham Asylum, the whole environment.'"

Obviously, this doesn't mean the game will be any better, but from a technical standpoint, that's quite remarkable.

Probably blurring the truth a little, it's possible that a large character model could have as many polygons as the main enviroment of Arkham Asylum. It wasn't a very pretty game in comparison to where we are now.

• 2 weeks later...

If it means the game is better, I'm all for it. It might also make sense from a business perspective as it will give people more time to pick up a next-gen console. With Christmas now separating its original release date from whatever the new date will end up being, that could be fairly significant.

More than a few seconds of gameplay in a gameplay trailer? Astonishing.

On a more serious note, I'm undecided about how I feel about the Batmobile section, but the rest of the footage looked like the gameplay I loved from the first two games (I haven't played Arkham Origins yet). I'm fully expecting this game to be the most commerically successful next-gen-only title so far when it comes out.

Tremendous. Visuals are amazing and it looks like they've got some neat gameplay tweaks. I felt something was missing from City on my first playthrough, but recently played through it again and loved it, so I'm quite excited for this. Also, Scarecrow looks bad ass. Happy to see they've altered his appearance/voice, the Asylum version wouldn't have worked here, IMO.

• 1 year later...

With the game out on Tuesday, I figured it was deserving of a bump...

Early reviews came out today and the game has a 91 on Metacritic out of 16 reviews. Gamespot gave it a 7/10, which seems to be the only mixed/negative review around, with negatives being the Batmobile is forced upon the player, and predictability.