Batman: Arkham Knight

They should make another Lego DC, using all the lessons they learned from Lego Marvel.

Or just make another Lego Marvel, because fuck me that was the best superhero based game ever.

Also holy crap, Harley Quinn as a playable character is the most boring pre-order incentive I've seen yet.

Not for me. I love Harley! Well like Classic Harley I guess. Back when her murder sprees were more slapstick :P

• Like 1

I'm pretty over Harley Quinn as a character, especially after redesigning her with thirteen-year old boys in mind and recasting the voice (even though Tara Strong is basically a VO legend and doesn't do a bad job as Harley). She's not quite Deadpool overexposed but she's still pretty overexposed.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm kind of done with Harley Quinn. I don't hate her, but the more spotlight she gets the less interested I am. It doesn't help that I don't think she's been written very well a lot of the time. Give me Batwoman or Batgirl if we're talking pre-order incentives, I'd shell out a few extra quid to kick some ass as Cassandra Cain.

• Like 2

How can it be joker when he died at the end of Arkham City?

Have you ever seen Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker?

Jesus, this is a lot of negativity for a game that we know a sliver of information about.

That last two games didn't leave me with a very positive outlook on the franchise. And an increase in the thing I thought really took away from the game (open world) and hyping driving the Batmobile as a worthwhile feature doesn't leave me very hopeful. It's not like this is a new IP - we all know what it's going to be. I think it's fair to be less than excited from the information we know thus far.

Asylum was an awesome new IP when it came out, but that was 5 years and two games ago. Apart from "let's make it bigger", we've yet to see any kind of interesting innovation on the original formula.

Honestly, I really enjoyed Origins. I never played Asylum, and only saw bits of City, but I found the controls in Origins more intuitive - remote-controlled Batarangs weren't an absolute chore, for a start. Fighting was dull and repetitive in both, but I actually enjoyed the story in Origins an awful lot.

The dynamic of Batman's early years was really interesting, as was the changing relationship between him and Alfred - Alfred basically calling him out on being a trust fund brat with a justice complex was one of my favourite moments in any Batman story for years.

The villain being the Joker was a bit of a cop-out, but even so, it was a different dynamic when it's him being introduced - it was actually quite chilling when Batman first encounters the name "The Joker", and doesn't understand the connotations, what that name will end up meaning to him in the future. That moment was prequel done properly.

Maybe I'd think differently if I'd seen more of the rest of the franchise, who knows? I'll probably keep an eye on this one out of curiosity, but if it's next-gen only, I doubt I'll ever play it, as I have no plans to get a new console any time soon.

batman-arkham-knight-harley.jpg?w=960

I like this costume. Should be darker around her eyes but otherwise it's cool.

• 2 weeks later...

How can it be joker when he died at the end of Arkham City?

You mean to tell me that you fell for the ol' Fake Joker trick again?

• 1 month later...

Well, you can see the Batmobile driving along for all of about two seconds.

It was an interesting piece of narrative, though, and I'm OK with that because the story will be an important part of the game for me. That said, referring to it as a gameplay trailer is a bit of a stretch. It's pretty striking how video game trailers have been much more frequently imitating film trailers over the last few years, and the Batman: Arkham series has been very much in line with that trend.

It's a next-gen exclusive. It wouldn't make any sense to release it on current-gen stuff because Arkham City severely pushed the limits of those consoles and the additions they made for Knight wouldn't have worked.

Better to just focus on next-gen development, than to release something sub-par.