EWR 2014 Stats Update: April ***PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS***

Yeah, the most charismatic wrestler ever doesn't deserve the unique gimmick but a kayfabe breaking bitch that had one memorable promo in his entire career deserves it. :facepalm: If Rock or Hogan are not Unique then Austin, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, John Cena, Punk, Piper or DDP should not have it either.

Rock and Hogan deserve the Unique gimmick as do the others you listed but Lesnar could never be pushed as charismatic and has a gimmick which people have used before, Punk has done many memorable promos over the years whether with WWE or before then. I don't have a major gripe with Heyman being made unique but there is no chance Lesnar deserves it.

I could care less about charisma as long as no one else could play his fantastic role. The same thing can be said about Goldberg. WWE tried to make Ryback just like him but it failed miserably because he didn't had Bill's intensity and I don't think that anyone has ever had it. Brock is not your typical generic monster heel like Mason Ryan, Great Khali, Batista, etc. are/were. The guy has all the credentials to have that gimmick, he's a once in a lifetime find and there will never be another one like him.

Edited by hippie
  • Like 1

If we're debating the unique gimmick, then I'm throwing in my vote for Daniel Bryan. In the original EWR data Bryan Danielson has the unique gimmick, so why was it changed now?

Also, I'm usually one to just agree with the majority here on this site, but I'd also like to see Brock Lesnar get the unique gimmick. I know in the game it is all based around charisma, but lets face it, Brock Lesnar is unique. He's a Man Beast/Machine/Legitimate Athlete/Dual-Sport Superstar, and he broke The Undertaker's streak. There will never be another Brock Lesnar, just like there will never be another Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, HBK, Triple H, CM PUnk, Rock, Stone Cold, or Mick Foley. All of which should be unique in my opinion.

I'd personally wait on Bryan a month or so but if he does become unique I won't say turn him back like say Brock.

Brock isn't really a dual-sport athlete. MMA wrestlers are more legit or martial artist for the most part. He's more of a Man Beast/Machine/Monster which those gimmicks are to an extent are interchangable. Brock is basically a no frills beat the crap out of his opponent machine. Plus he isn't charismatic. Plus Brock's uniqueness is more his in-ring ability stats which have no baring on a gimmick at all (besides high flying and chameleon.) I can make Daniel Bryan into a clown, it doesn't have anything to do about their in-ring ability stats.

Yeah, the most charismatic wrestler ever doesn't deserve the unique gimmick but a kayfabe breaking bitch that had one memorable promo in his entire career deserves it. :facepalm: If Rock or Hogan are not Unique then Austin, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, John Cena, Punk, Piper or DDP should not have it either.

Rock and Hogan deserve the Unique gimmick as do the others you listed but Lesnar could never be pushed as charismatic and has a gimmick which people have used before, Punk has done many memorable promos over the years whether with WWE or before then. I don't have a major gripe with Heyman being made unique but there is no chance Lesnar deserves it.

I could care less about charisma as long as no one else could play his fantastic role. The same thing can be said about Goldberg. WWE tried to make Ryback just like him but it failed miserably because he didn't had Bill's intensity and I don't think that anyone has ever had it. Brock is not your typical generic monster heel like Mason Ryan, Great Khali, Batista, etc. are/were. The guy has all the credentials to have that gimmick, he's a once in a lifetime find and there will never be another one like him.

Ryback and Ryan were generic monsters, Khali is a freak. I would say Batista and Goldberg were different and more nuanced but not unique based on charisma or themselves. Brock is nuanced as well but I would still say not unique for the same reasons I would say Batista and Goldberg aren't.

In New Japan news,

Put El Terrible, Rey Bucanero and Rob Conway under touring commitments.

El Desperado should have Guitarra de Angel as his primary finisher and Guitarra de la Muerta as his secondary finisher, both impact move.

Edit: Bad Luck Fale should have Bad Luck Fall as his secondary finisher.

Edited by mkpunk

Brock Lesnar's gimmick is LITERALLY that he is the only man in history that can do what he does. He's the 1 in 21-1...

I'm not saying he should 100% be unique. I can see the argument against it. But given what his gimmick has evolved into and the fact that he really is unique from a physical/athletic standpoint (and that's not just a fact but actually played up in his character), he deserves it much more than CM Punk. If we never see CM Punk again, are we really considering him legendary? It would be as if HBK was considered unique in 1998 when he had to retire originally. Shawn was great back then...amazing even...but legendary?

If Brock isn't going to be set to unique, then remove it from CM Punk as well. Hulk Hogan should be unique though. Period. If anyone else could be Hogan, we would have seen one of the countless imitations succeed anywhere near that level. Daniel Bryan (who also should not be unique yet if ever) is already in the same position that CM Punk was before he left...unique is irreplacable.

Edit: I would also vote for Paul Heyman as unique over CM Punk. Since 2001 when he joined WWE, there hasn't been a single person that matches what he can do on the microphone or as a character without being the one going into the ring himself.

Edited by Mike Jones
  • Like 1

Brock Lesnar's gimmick is LITERALLY that he is the only man in history that can do what he does. He's the 1 in 21-1...

I'm not saying he should 100% be unique. I can see the argument against it. But given what his gimmick has evolved into and the fact that he really is unique from a physical/athletic standpoint (and that's not just a fact but actually played up in his character), he deserves it much more than CM Punk. If we never see CM Punk again, are we really considering him legendary? It would be as if HBK was considered unique in 1998 when he had to retire originally. Shawn was great back then...amazing even...but legendary?

If Brock isn't going to be set to unique, then remove it from CM Punk as well. Hulk Hogan should be unique though. Period. If anyone else could be Hogan, we would have seen one of the countless imitations succeed anywhere near that level. Daniel Bryan (who also should not be unique yet if ever) is already in the same position that CM Punk was before he left...unique is irreplacable.

Edit: I would also vote for Paul Heyman as unique over CM Punk. Since 2001 when he joined WWE, there hasn't been a single person that matches what he can do on the microphone or as a character without being the one going into the ring himself.

Winning a pre-determined match does not make one unique.

• Like 1

Yeah...and? Maybe you should consider that second sentence within the context established in the rest of the post.

His gimmick is LITERALLY that he is the most unique athlete to ever grace a WWE ring and he actually IS the most physically gifted athlete they have ever had. He transcended pro wrestling itself by becoming a credible athlete in an actual sport AFTER he broke into professional wrestling, came back, and was a infinitely bigger star than when he left. He has done more to establish himself as one of a kind than, for example, a guy who did a couple worked shoots and whose character was frustrated with the status quo (you know like countless guys before him). The thesis of the post, which you so clearly ignored/missed, is that he is comparably more unique than someone who ALREADY has it set as their gimmick. "If Brock isn't going to be set to unique, then remove it from CM Punk as well."

CM Punk is comparable with other guys. Brock Lesnar is undisputedly less so and imo not at all. That's the actual point I was making. I only vaguely referenced "a pre-determined match" because that is where the catchphrase "the 1 in 21-1" came from. That was one half-sentence in a 200+ word post....

• Like 1

Yeah...and? Maybe you should consider that second sentence within the context established in the rest of the post.

His gimmick is LITERALLY that he is the most unique athlete to ever grace a WWE ring and he actually IS the most physically gifted athlete they have ever had. He transcended pro wrestling itself by becoming a credible athlete in an actual sport AFTER he broke into professional wrestling, came back, and was a infinitely bigger star than when he left. He has done more to establish himself as one of a kind than, for example, a guy who did a couple worked shoots and whose character was frustrated with the status quo (you know like countless guys before him). The thesis of the post, which you so clearly ignored/missed, is that he is comparably more unique than someone who ALREADY has it set as their gimmick. "If Brock isn't going to be set to unique, then remove it from CM Punk as well."

CM Punk is comparable with other guys. Brock Lesnar is undisputedly less so and imo not at all. That's the actual point I was making. I only vaguely referenced "a pre-determined match" because that is where the catchphrase "the 1 in 21-1" came from. That was one half-sentence in a 200+ word post....

Brock is unlike anyone because he is a 290 pound guy that is not only strong but he is agile and can do a shooting star press. FYI, Uhaa Nation can do that to. Brock threw in submission as well. So yeah, he's unique but CHARACTER WISE he isn't. I can compare him with Goldberg, Warrior, Rhino and other muscle men. CM Punk can only be compared to Piper or Austin if anything but he is much more than that. He is pretty unique CHARACTER WISE. Also Punk can do great promos whether they are pipe bombs or his straight edge promos. Brock would NEVER be confused with a great promo. In order to be unique, a wrestler needs high overness and high charisma, Brock wouldn't have that without Heyman or being carried by someone else.

Edited by mkpunk

Your whole argument is that he is the guy to give 'Taker his lone loss at 'Mania. That is your arguement. I apologize I did not make my response very long. I apologize I summed up your rambling into one phrase. Your only arguement is that he is the only guy to beat 'Taker at 'Mania. Now, is he unique in that he beat 'Taker at 'Mania? Yes, I will give you that, but that is not his gimmick. He's a former MMA champion/Monster/Man Beast. That is his gimmick. I don't give 2 flying fucks about anyone else. I'm talking directly about Brock. He is nothing more than any other big guy that WWE has tried to make work over their history. He won a pre-determined match. He won a match that no one has ever won. If that's how we are going to determine uniqueness in the game, then by God, put the damn unique tag on Kevin Nash, because he beat the unbeatable Goldberg.

• Like 2

In New Japan news,

Put El Terrible, Rey Bucanero and Rob Conway under touring commitments.

El Desperado should have Guitarra de Angel as his primary finisher and Guitarra de la Muerta as his secondary finisher, both impact move.

Edit: Bad Luck Fale should have Bad Luck Fall as his secondary finisher.

Also, Terrible and Bucanero haven't appeared in NJPW for a year now. Mascara Dorada had just started touring with them though.

To weigh in where I'm not needed or wanted, Lesnar isn't really unique; giant mauler dudes are a dime a dozen in wrestling history. Saying that ending Undertaker's streak makes him unique is like saying Big E deserves the Unique gimmick for beating Curtis Axel for the Intercontinental Championship, which no one in history had ever done up to that point.

• Like 1

If Brock and Heyman don't get the Unique gimmick then remove it from Punk and we're done with it.

This.

No one thinks that ending the streak makes one unique, but an argument can be made that since they are playing up his uniqueness (which existed prior to the match/promo) we should consider it GIVEN CM Punk is less unique than Brock Lesnar or Paul Heyman but has it. If you think Brock is just a dime-a-dozen giant mauler that's fine. I disagree, but if you think another Brock Lesnar is coming around, who am I to say you're wrong. I just don't see how you could see CM Punk as anything but a loudmouth rebel who cut tamer "shoot" promos than I've heard from Shane Douglas, for instance. Daniel Bryan is already so similar to what CM Punk was (small, indy guy who was held down by the establishment but isn't afraid to speak his mind and gets ahead by just being better than his peers) that he isn't exactly one-of-a-kind.

But enough of that...

I would also suggest that Mr. McMahon be set to unique. There is more substance to his character than just 'Authority Figure' or even 'Evil Boss'. We will probably never see a character quite like Vince ever again. He was in prior updates wasn't he? Why the change?

Edit: Set Dusty Rhodes' gimmick to unique as well.

Edited by Mike Jones
  • Like 1

a58d63e8-73af-11e3-_499536b.jpg

None of this please Colly, or anyone else, it is post whoring and flame baiting

Brock is unlike anyone because he is a 290 pound guy that is not only strong but he is agile and can do a shooting star press. FYI, Uhaa Nation can do that to. Brock threw in submission as well. So yeah, he's unique but CHARACTER WISE he isn't. I can compare him with Goldberg, Warrior, Rhino and other muscle men. CM Punk can only be compared to Piper or Austin if anything but he is much more than that. He is pretty unique CHARACTER WISE. Also Punk can do great promos whether they are pipe bombs or his straight edge promos. Brock would NEVER be confused with a great promo. In order to be unique, a wrestler needs high overness and high charisma, Brock wouldn't have that without Heyman or being carried by someone else.

CM Punk is not that unique though, he was really just do a guy who was disenfranchised and then using that to "Shoot" on people. He is basically doing what a lot of people in late WCW did "Go off script". Or to use another example, Paul Heyman's promo at the first ECW One Night Stand. Just because Punk does it better doesn't mean he is definitely unique, it just means he is, to use a phrase, "The best in the world." The argument is the same for Brock, he is exceptional at what he does, and while there may have been others who have been silent, powerful killers in the ring, he is the best at it, because of his looks/physique, his charisma (he is very charismatic, it is not just about being able to speak in to a microphone) and his ability in the ring, I am not coming down on either side of the argument, but all I am saying is that they can be considered unique in that no one is as good as them at their particular niche in pro wrestling.

• Like 1

a58d63e8-73af-11e3-_499536b.jpg

None of this please Colly, or anyone else, it is post whoring and flame baiting

CM Punk is not that unique though, he was really just do a guy who was disenfranchised and then using that to "Shoot" on people. He is basically doing what a lot of people in late WCW did "Go off script". Or to use another example, Paul Heyman's promo at the first ECW One Night Stand. Just because Punk does it better doesn't mean he is definitely unique, it just means he is, to use a phrase, "The best in the world." The argument is the same for Brock, he is exceptional at what he does, and while there may have been others who have been silent, powerful killers in the ring, he is the best at it, because of his looks/physique, his charisma (he is very charismatic, it is not just about being able to speak in to a microphone) and his ability in the ring, I am not coming down on either side of the argument, but all I am saying is that they can be considered unique in that no one is as good as them at their particular niche in pro wrestling.

Everyone points to the pipe bomb as Punk's best promo, it was damn good but watch his stuff with Raven again, watch his stuff as ROH champion, watch his New Dawn in FIP, watch his stuff feuding with Jeff Hardy, watch his straight edge society stuff up til Over The Limit 2010 and his 434 day reign and I know you can find stuff that was better and were ON SCRIPT. I was a Punk mark LONG before the pipe bomb because he was unique and different. He was a legit bad ass despite being a lanky guy who was a smug punk rebel who would say he is the best because he was straight edge unlike everyone else and THAT was what made him the best in the world and better than you.

Brock is pretty emotionless and not charismatic in himself. I don't ever remember him having a great promo which was why he worked on SmackDown which was the wrestling show from 2002-2004ish. He is not that good of a speaker which is why he needed Paul and he doesn't have that physical charisma that say Daniel Bryan, Bret Hart, Sean Waltman, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho and CM Punk had that made you buy into them even if they aren't that good on the mic (not that most of them were bad on the mic.)

edit: If we give it to Brock for being a brute, Road Warriors, heel Warlord and Chris Walker deserved it too because they were just as physically intimidating as Brock is.

FYI here's what the gimmick FAQ says about unique.

Gimmick Unique

Description This worker's gimmick has evolved into something totally unique. [NB This gimmick cannot be assigned, it naturally occurs]
Example Mick Foley
Requirements Be the main focus of a 100% segment

Q. My worker has been involved in a 100% segment and he didn't get the unique gimmick. What's wrong?
A. I've heard of this happening a few times, though the exact reason for why it doesn't work still eludes me. In most cases the worker is a tweener (usually Raven). I haven't tested this, but it MAY be that tweeners just can't get the unique gimmick - if you turn them face/heel, get the gimmick and turn them back again, that's one way of getting around the problem.
Another possibility is that the person isn't the main focus of the segment. In interviews, the person who is doing the talking will get the unique gimmick - for tag team interviews, this is the person selected in the first box, and for interviews with a manager, it's the manager who'll get it.

Here's the other gimmicks you can say with Brock

Gimmick Ice Man
Description This worker is a cold, calculating, ruthlessly efficient fighter.
Example Dean Malenko
Requirements None
Gimmick Legitimate Athlete
Description This worker is promoted on his ability and skills, not his character.
Example Kurt Angle
Requirements None

Gimmick Machine

Description This worker is a cold, calculating fighter, who methodically destroys opponents in the ring.
Example Taz
Requirements Attribute: Menacing
Gimmick Monster
Description This worker is a big guy who just destroys people with his size.
Example Vader
Requirements Company Risk: 20% or higher
Attribute: Menacing
After looking at those, Brock is no where near being truly a unique character outside of his in-ring abilities which have little to no barring on being unique.
Edited by mkpunk

You're seriously trying to downplay what that guy said about and that's charisma is not just being able to speak on the mic. Brock carries himself like a damn champ, he has that ability to get people to give a shit about him! Same about Heyman but he can back it on the mic too.

edit: If we give it to Brock for being a brute, Road Warriors, heel Warlord and Chris Walker deserved it too because they were just as physically intimidating as Brock is.

we're not going to get anywhere if we continue with this. Like a guy said above, Shane Douglas and Scott Steiner used to shoot on Flair and DDP back on Nitro a lot so because of that Punk should not have the Unique gimmick. If Brock and Heyman don't get it then remove it from Punk.

Edited by hippie

All fair points and I know Charisma on the game is a kin to how good a guy is at promos, but with Brock the segments where he is doing backstage/in ring stuff are still great segments even though his skills on the mic do not match up to the likes of a CM Punk, for example. Lesnar can convey his emotions and intentions without having to say too much, its a look, a movement, it's something which is intangible to an extent but only a guy like Brock can convey to the audience.

A problem with the stuff you talked about with Punk in ROH, FIP, etc... is that most of that happened a decade or more ago, it has only been seen by a very finite number of fans compared to the WWE audience and CM Punk has moved on and matured in to a greater performer. Just because the guy has had a series of gimmicks which he has portrayed very well doesn't mean that he should therefore be unique for certain, it just means he is good at conveying the character he is supposed to be in the ring/on tv. CM Punk is this generations Bret Hart, good in the ring, has a fairly unique style and should be rightfully remembered and revered for his achievements and skill, but he is just not a Hulk Hogan, or a Rock, in terms of being this one off unique star.

You're seriously trying to downplay what that guy said about and that's charisma is not just being able to speak on the mic. Brock carries himself like a damn champ, he has that ability to get people to give a shit about him! Same about Heyman but he can back it on the mic too.

we're not going to get anywhere if we continue with this. Like a guy said above, Shane Douglas and Scott Steiner used to shoot on Flair and DDP back on Nitro a lot so because of that Punk should not have the Unique gimmick. If Brock and Heyman don't get it then remove it from Punk.

1) No I am not dimenising the charisma debate, Brock just isn't a total package. He is a good beast that can actually wrestle. He doesn't have much charisma at all besides physical charisma. Brock's physical charisma is only done through being a machine rather than say Punk who do good in a versatile role where one week he could be a guy making jokes like the Dynamic Dudes Slammy's segment, the next being serious about his next challenger and the next kicking babies and not being sorry about it. Brock's only good when Heyman is talking him up and then destroying the other person in the segment. That isn't charisma at all. FYI, Brock's charisma is at 79 because he is not the total package compared to a Punk at 100 (perhaps 98 is better with the whole all he does is shoot comments that some are making), Bryan at 90 (I'd raise to 92) or even Sheamus at 86.

2) Punk's "shoots" were the promos that got him noticed. Watch his stuff when he turned heel in 2012 claiming that Rock disrespected him, those promos were filled with passion and wasn't just him crapping on Rock for being Hollywood when it wasn't in the storylines like when Steiner would crap on DDP or Flair for no reason. (Douglas was the whole ECW vs WCW us vs. them logic in ECW, in WCW he didn't shoot as much after the Revolution ended when the Radicalz jumped to WWF.)

All fair points and I know Charisma on the game is a kin to how good a guy is at promos, but with Brock the segments where he is doing backstage/in ring stuff are still great segments even though his skills on the mic do not match up to the likes of a CM Punk, for example. Lesnar can convey his emotions and intentions without having to say too much, its a look, a movement, it's something which is intangible to an extent but only a guy like Brock can convey to the audience.

A problem with the stuff you talked about with Punk in ROH, FIP, etc... is that most of that happened a decade or more ago, it has only been seen by a very finite number of fans compared to the WWE audience and CM Punk has moved on and matured in to a greater performer. Just because the guy has had a series of gimmicks which he has portrayed very well doesn't mean that he should therefore be unique for certain, it just means he is good at conveying the character he is supposed to be in the ring/on tv. CM Punk is this generations Bret Hart, good in the ring, has a fairly unique style and should be rightfully remembered and revered for his achievements and skill, but he is just not a Hulk Hogan, or a Rock, in terms of being this one off unique star.

I can understand that, I am just trying to say the "Punk is only good when he makes shoot comments in promos" logic isn't exactly true. There is a lot of great Punk promos, something Bret never really had except the Hart Foundation 97 (which itself was "shoot" comments about Americans in the view of non-Americans.) I think Punk is a unique star but I would not put him nor Bryan in the Mount Rushmore of WWF like Hogan, Rock, Triple H and Austin would be. I would say they are like Savage, Warrior Hart and Michaels who got the ball and were unique to their generations but not the icons of their generation.

Edited by mkpunk