MLB 14: The Show

Maxx

I haven't tried any this season cause my internet right now in this house (which I'm moving out of) and in my room more specifically isn't the greatest wifi connection.

But on OS boards I've heard mixed reviews, generally the lone weakspot for this series has been online play... always.

Was wondering if it was going to finally be fixed for this generation.

If you get disconnected and have issues with your own friends then that's terrible, if it's just randoms then it could be a variety of issues but still. Doesn't sound good.

Most of the things that people are hoping get fixed because The Show is on PS4 won't actually see much progress until the game is PS4 exclusive. Developing it for the PS3 limits what they can do without putting out a relatively neutered version of the game on the PS3.

Most of the things that people are hoping get fixed because The Show is on PS4 won't actually see much progress until the game is PS4 exclusive. Developing it for the PS3 limits what they can do without putting out a relatively neutered version of the game on the PS3.

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense. I'm not super bothered as I'm typically just an offline franchise guy, but I could understand how people are annoyed that a game on either console can't support online well.

The developers swear that they built the PS4 online "from the ground up". So it's entirely possible for them to make major improvements on the PS4 in online mode moving forward, if that is the truth.

Moving forward, absolutely. But you also have to factor in that they very likely have one team working on both versions of the game. So if next year's comes out on PS3, don't expect too much of an upgrade on the PS4, because they just won't have the time to put into the next-gen development.

From what they've said, they've pretty much "maxed out" the potential on the PS3, so they're going to be putting the majority of their focus on the PS4. They'll still be making it for the PS3, but it likely won't be much more than a glorified roster update. Their blogs, interviews, and even the developers who stream on Twitch have done nothing but gush about how much more the PS4 is going to let them achieve next season forward.

• Like 1

In terms of gameplay, I'm not noticing much difference. It looks a lot better, and it's quicker, but the gameplay is relatively similar. The one reason I would advise the PS4 version though, is that on the PS3, I was getting about one or two pitches per game where it would freeze mid-pitch for a second, and then all of a sudden I've struck out because I never got to see the ball coming towards home plate. Hasn't happened to me at all with the PS4 version.

It is annoying me that there is no tutorial mode. I'm basically just pressing buttons and sometimes it tells me I'm doing the right thing and other times it is telling me I'm doing to wrong thing, but it isn't telling me why so I just keep pressing buttons.

It is annoying me that there is no tutorial mode. I'm basically just pressing buttons and sometimes it tells me I'm doing the right thing and other times it is telling me I'm doing to wrong thing, but it isn't telling me why so I just keep pressing buttons.

What exactly are you unsure about?

Also there is a tutorial mode it's just buried in there menu's. Keep looking, as I'm not on my PS4 right now but I'll update my post when I do. I know there is training for pitching and hitting specifically.

Or be more specific and perhaps we could all help our best as well. It might be your control settings, etc. Might not be doing the right thing for that set.

So I bit the bullet and bought this for PS3 through PSN, and I'm having an absolute blast.

Against my better judgement I created a LF/OF with speed and contact as his main stats, and well... Lots of errors ensued thanks to the terribad camera angle during fielding.

The rookie showcase I had only like 1 hit, so I got drafted 6th round by the A's and dumped with the Rockhounds.

Right now after 8 games I have 2 HR's and 7 RBI's, 1BB!, with an average of around .365, so I'm actually managing to be reasonably effective in AA ball.

Slowly getting control over my plate discipline and most of the time I let the first couple of pitches fly so that I can get a favourable count. It's hard though, but it's really really exciting to play poker with the pitcher like that.

Also, I suck at baserunning and everything connected with it. I had an amazing gapper down the right field line, and despite my ambition to go for extra bases I just stopped at first 4noraisin.

What exactly are you unsure about?

Off top of my head

Batting

• How to control where I am hitting? Batting Practice is telling me to hit to the left but it doesn't seem to be something I can control. Neither of the sticks seem to do anything to influence this.
  • The foul hits that go behind me - common sense says these are timing related but in practise it tells me I've made good contact and some even fly as if home run, they just seem to go behind at random.
  • My batting setting is set to Timing only I think. This doesn't seem to give me the option of selecting where I in the box thingy I'm going to swing. The ball sometimes outright fly right past my bat while still being in the zone.
  • More of a rules problem ... what is up with the whole 2-1 thing? I'm guessing that is related to my batter randomly going for first base and being caught out or sometimes he casually strolls to first base no problem. I don't know how my actions influenced that play.

Pitching

• I am using the pulse setting. It tells me closer to the middle the more accurate yet some pitches just seem to go nowhere near where I've aimed for. I've been told to change this setting to the meter but I've yet to try it so don't know if it makes a difference.
  • (that is it really, I think I've picked up pitching)

Other

• Stealing bases ... I don't even. I ran to the other base randomly. Sometimes it tells me I did good, others I did bad, but other than the timing I've not knowingly done anything different. And I've only successfully stole a base once so far. Once again, I don't know what made that attempt so special considering my timing was slower than other attempts.

If there is a tutorial then I haven't found it. There is batting practise and pitching practise but they just tells me to do stuff without telling me how to do it. i.e. hit the ball to the right.

Stealing is always hard in The Show. It's always about reading the motion of the pitcher. Some pitchers are too quick to the plate to steal on, while some have high leg kicks that make it automatic.

I don't remember who it was, but there is one pitcher who I can steal 6-8 bases from a game if I get on base. He just has an awful motion. You don't even need to take a lead. He was one of the Asian pitchers that holds the ball over his head.

If you're a right handed batter, to hit to left field (or pull your hit), you'll want to make contact early on the ball. To hit to right field (or push your hit), you'll want to make contact a little late on the ball. To go straight to center, you'll want to time your swing perfectly.

I'm not sure what the hitting settings are called, but I use Timing and Zone hitting, so I have to choose where I'm looking for the pitch and when to swing. You get an indicator that shows where your swing should be, and can move that around at your leisure.

Your pitches being all over the place isn't uncommon. It depends on your ability to read the pulse right or hit the sweet spot on the meter... but it also relies heavily on the statistics of the player. Even if you're spot on, if his control of that specific pitch is poor, it's unlikely to hit the target you chose. It won't usually be too far off, but you'll rarely ever get a pitcher that hits all of his spots, all of the time.

I am using the pulse setting. It tells me closer to the middle the more accurate yet some pitches just seem to go nowhere near where I've aimed for. I've been told to change this setting to the meter but I've yet to try it so don't know if it makes a difference.

The accuracy also takes your stats into account. If you have very low control on a pitch, even if you get the pulse dead on you may still miss wild.

Just started up my first road to the show, drafted in the second round to the twins. Went back to college for 2 years and got drafted #1 :w00t:

(Yes it's on beginner, but considering I had to look up how to field mid-game, I don't care!)