MLB 14: The Show

Maxx

RTTS is about as addicting as can be.

Still playing with my LF, and I am in the middle of july.

Due to fielding and batting woes (and getting a linedrive to my face) I got dropped to the bench and I missed out on a lot of games until I got a lucky break and got put in the DH position.

I capitalised and had some really good batting outings which gave me enough points to prevent the ratings skid that was happening due to the lack of games I played.

From there on I played myself back into the starting position at LF, and despite still being under .300 batting I have refound myself and have among other had my first 4/4 batting game where I almost got the cycle (missed out on the dub). And now I am slowly working myself into form and becoming an asset to the team by upping my contact and fielding stats. I have also gotten better at stealing bases and it's simple when you get good at it.

Fielding is still a chore due to the honky camera angle, but I am starting to become a bit better at reading the path of the ball and getting easy outs. I still get stupid ''derp'' errors though.

Playing RTTS is like playing FM, every time you feel like quitting and then go ''nah, one more game'' and before you know it you've wasted another hour.

I'll start my RTTS up within the next day or two. I gave myself a nice cushion in Franchise by playing on Beginner mode, since I'm pretty sure I'll start to suck once I raise the settings. Have it on Dynamic now and have gone 4-3 since. It's got me pitching at an All Star level (usually 3 or 4 + is where I top off before I have a horrendous inning). Can barely crack Veteran in hitting though. Just had a game where I hit damn near everything on the infield, including 4 inning ending double plays. I imagine after a week or so of bad hitting I'll lower the settings back down again so I can avoid feeling terrible about myself.

Lost a game in which the deciding run was a guy scoring from second on a sac fly. My CF caught the ball over his head but went into this long ass animation where he re-set his footing and the runner was already rounding 3rd by the time the cutoff man got the ball. Annoying.

If you play a franchise and do fantasy draft don't draft David Ortiz or just pray he doesn't end up on a team you play a lot. If I have to hear "Just like in games 3,4 and 5 of the World Series Ortiz is getting the start at First Base today. Yeah no Designated Hitter in this game. He plays a competent first base. Heck they hid EK out there for 14 years." Someone is going to die. :angry:

• Like 1

I dunno, it might have something to do with age. I chose to be 20, cause I am, and when I went to sign it gave me an option of 2 more years of college.

I think age has to do with it. I just started RTTS as a 18 year old, cause there was no way in hell I was gonna start as my real age. Once I got drafted I was given the option of signing with the team, going to 1 or 2 year JUCO, or 3 or 4 year regular college. Pretty neat.

Made myself a left fielder and pretty much pumped all of my initial stats into hitting, content with being a butcher in the field. Had a great series in the Showcase and wound up getting drafted #4 overall by the Twins. Doubted I'd be able to do much better than that in college so I signed. Couldn't resist the chance to play for the New Britain Rock Cats, who are the closest minor league team to me IRL.

I dunno, it might have something to do with age. I chose to be 20, cause I am, and when I went to sign it gave me an option of 2 more years of college.

I think age has to do with it. I just started RTTS as a 18 year old, cause there was no way in hell I was gonna start as my real age. Once I got drafted I was given the option of signing with the team, going to 1 or 2 year JUCO, or 3 or 4 year regular college. Pretty neat.

Made myself a left fielder and pretty much pumped all of my initial stats into hitting, content with being a butcher in the field. Had a great series in the Showcase and wound up getting drafted #4 overall by the Twins. Doubted I'd be able to do much better than that in college so I signed. Couldn't resist the chance to play for the New Britain Rock Cats, who are the closest minor league team to me IRL.

You can have the game sim all the fielding and letting you only do the hitting/baserunning if you want to.

You'll lose out on the (meager) fielding XP and the riveting tactical espionage stealth action at your position with the terrible camera angle which doesn't help you out at all.

Yeah I think I only caught one or two fly balls during the showcase, on other ones I even ran in the direction the arrow told me and it turned green and I still came up short. I made CF and RF my backup positions to try and increase my versatility, but it would be comical if a team played me in CF.

Kinda sad The Show has never had a UTIL backup position like there was in the MVP series. The only guys who have both IF and OF positions as their backup positions are real-life players who are specially set that way. Would have been kinda fun to do a secondary RTTS as a middling utility player.

Most 18-22 year olds that are getting their sart in professional baseball don't play more than two positions. They develop all those other positions as they mature as baseball players. At such a young age, clubs are more determined to develop a player to be very good at one set position. That's probably why they don't allow utility as a position in RTTS; wouldn't be realistic.

• Like 1

Good point. Of course for me it doesn't matter a whole lot as my 2-for-4 professional debut ended when I fractured my arm sliding into home. :(

You left out the only part that matters... whether or not you were out or safe? :lol:

I played a game last night after a few beers, which is normally a bad idea in a game all about timing and split second decision making.

I pulled off an amazing defensive play. One of the White Sox players hit a deep fly ball, and for once I actually timed my jump perfectly with Michael Brantley and I pulled back a home run! It was so satisfying.

• Like 1

I played a game last night after a few beers, which is normally a bad idea in a game all about timing and split second decision making.

I pulled off an amazing defensive play. One of the White Sox players hit a deep fly ball, and for once I actually timed my jump perfectly with Michael Brantley and I pulled back a home run! It was so satisfying.

Stuff like that is so rewarding in this game, it really is the little things that makes The Show experience a true baseball game.

First Walk-off HR! :w00t:

That is a hellaciously good feeling. May or may not have strutted around my living room after downing the Cards with a walk-off three-run ding. :shifty:

And I just had my first Walk-Off Solo HR in the bottom of the 13th.

Needless to say I was chuffed and fistpumped a lot of times.

The game after that I almost go for the cycle (missed the 3B). Then I got called up to the AAA team.

I actually didn't want to be called up yet, since there's only a month left in the season and I rather finish off the season in AA nice and clean before stepping up.

Ah well.

After zipping through nearly a month in franchise in a week, I haven't even touched the mode since as I've been utterly hooked on RTTS. Hit a mammoth HR in my first at-bat off the DL and have had a ridiculous month of June, managed to get myself into the top 4-5 of the LF All Star voting despite missing 2 months.

Also started a secondary RTTS as a lefty closer. Bombed in the Prospect showcase at 18 and got drafted in the 5th round by the Marlins. Decided to go to 2-year junior college and settled for being a 3rd round pick by the Orioles at age 20. To my surprise they actually used me as the Double A closer immediately. I remember in previous versions of the games they'd have you working mop up until you worked your way up. Doing pretty well.

• Like 1

After zipping through nearly a month in franchise in a week, I haven't even touched the mode since as I've been utterly hooked on RTTS. Hit a mammoth HR in my first at-bat off the DL and have had a ridiculous month of June, managed to get myself into the top 4-5 of the LF All Star voting despite missing 2 months.

Also started a secondary RTTS as a lefty closer. Bombed in the Prospect showcase at 18 and got drafted in the 5th round by the Marlins. Decided to go to 2-year junior college and settled for being a 3rd round pick by the Orioles at age 20. To my surprise they actually used me as the Double A closer immediately. I remember in previous versions of the games they'd have you working mop up until you worked your way up. Doing pretty well.

That's not suprising really, we're talking about the Marlins after all...