The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

It'd be a pretty long term investment though. He'd be pretty much Man Utd left back for seasons unless he suddenly turns shit or gets a bunch of injuries.

Alot of money atm in time sure but it'd be worth while in the long run.

Edited by DavidMarrio

We've apparently bid 27 million for Shaw.

Hopefully truth in it and we can get the deal done. Worth every penny.

Don't know how anybody could possibly believe that and be certain. He's 18, played less than 60 games and is a left back. He's been brilliant this season but to say he's "worth every penny" is nonsense. Ashely Cole was arguably the best left back in the world and went for £5mil plus Gallas at 25. Full back generally don't go at a premium and to be spunking that much money on an 18 year old is a risk no matter how impressive he's been.

• Like 2

We've apparently bid 27 million for Shaw.

Hopefully truth in it and we can get the deal done. Worth every penny.

Don't know how anybody could possibly believe that and be certain. He's 18, played less than 60 games and is a left back. He's been brilliant this season but to say he's "worth every penny" is nonsense. Ashely Cole was arguably the best left back in the world and went for £5mil plus Gallas at 25. Full back generally don't go at a premium and to be spunking that much money on an 18 year old is a risk no matter how impressive he's been.

18 years old and already among the best fullbacks in the league. Could potentially sort out left back position for over a decade. Quality going forward and defensively. Take all of that into account and the fact that all of the other top clubs could be sniffing around too and the "Oh, he's English" and it's not really surprising seeing a player like that going for that price in today's football. Cole joined Chelsea eight years back and it was a completely different case to this.

We might pay that money and I might be wrong and it doesn't work out, but for me everything indicates that it'll be worth paying it. Consider we actually need a new top class left back too and it makes even more sense.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect
  • Like 1

To be fair, Gallas had been pretty fucking excellent in Chelsea's title-winning side at the time, so he wouldn't exactly have equated to peanuts in that part-exchange deal.

In any case, Shaw has been linked with us too before prices got silly, but I'm not really bothered where he goes. For surely Shaw and Shirley in the same team would be overkill...

If they hold on to either of them I'll be very surprised to be honest.

I hope Shaw doesn't go to United. It's daft money whichever way you look at it, but I'd rather see him join Chelsea than become another of United's English "talents".