Watch Dogs

Baddar

What were people really expecting with this brand new franchise? I mean, aren't all video games pretty repetitive after a while? It's usally get from point A. to B. just with some variations on how you get there thrown in the middle. Watch Dogs can get tedious, but I've been finding myself saying that about just every single game I've owned over the past year or so.

What? That doesn't excuse a poor game at all... Should we just stop demanding more from games? :/ Being a new IP shouldn't mean it gets judged on a scale - they had the chance to really do something different with the sandbox genre, but they went with the exact same formula every other game has used. You're really playing the wrong games if you're finding they all just get repetitive.

There's been plenty of games over the last few years that haven't ended up repetitive after a while, that've stayed captivating right to the end. Heck, the most recent example, I don't think I've been bored for a single moment of Wolfenstein: New Order.

I pretty much called Watch Dogs being every other Ubisoft game as soon as we saw real gameplay, that doesn't mean it's any less disappointing. No one wanted a gaming revolution, I think it's pretty safe to say that sandbox games aren't going to be the genre that provides that, but it's really not that ridiculous to hope for them to have followed through on some of the promise that the game had, especially with the concepts of hacking.

Man, this is all coming from the guy that's called Ubisoft one of the most boring devs on the planet. I might be cynical, but you guys seem to have given up all hope on innovation in video games.

I don't really see it as a poor game. But then again, maybe I'm just losing interest in video games all together. I still play State of Decay, GTA, Watch Dogs & a few other games from time to time, but in bursts like Stimpsham was saying.

Eh, that's probably why then, I don't think there's ever been a genre more repetitve than third person sandbox. Even games like InFamous and Red Faction feel samey despite having radically different mechanics in parts.

There's just something about sandbox games that makes devs go "We COULD try and innovate a little further, but honestly, I think it'd be easier to just add a few collectibles and call it a day". If there's one developer that's awful for this, it's definitely Ubisoft. I get the idea behind AC slow progressing in quality over the years, but personally I always felt like they nailed the feel of the game early on - they just built upon it slightly each time and never bothered to change things up. It's the third person equivalent of Call of Duty. And like with Call of Duty and Titanfall, people were excited because it looked like the core concept but with some actual innovation. But in the same way, they didn't really go far enough with it.

I suppose some of the blame lies with us as consumers, because god knows if Assassins Creed or CoD changed it's core gameplay mechanics even slightly, the internet would throw a fit. So instead we get these yearly releases with little to no innovation. And anything that does try and innovate, usually doesn't go that far from the source.

• Like 1

I kinda hate that we bought the season pass for this

Never buy a season pass before you finish a game.

I loved Bioshock Infinity and only got the season pass for that because it was super cheap on Steam.

I don't think it's as bad as people are making out, and it doesn't do itself any favours in the early going, but I'm finding it to be okay. Someone compared it to AC1, and I think that's right on the money. They've got the basics down, but then rather than expanding on it they've just put it on repeat on hoped it made a good game. I imagine sales will encourage a sequel, and hopefully like AC2, it'll expand upon the original and be the game people hoped the first one would be.

Mind you, it did pop into my head that Ubisoft made this and yet there's still no bloody news on a new Prince of Persia.

• Like 1

I suck at the invading/being invaded <_<

I invaded someone, hacked them...but I was parked/hiding in a stupid spot. He found me and killed me before I could turn my car back on.

Similar thing happened when someone invaded me.....but I couldn't get my grenade launcher out in time, and he was 300m ahead of me the entire time...eventually lost him.

There's been a few times where the invaders were extremely easy to find, other times, not so much. I literally ran up to an invader in a 7/11 type store & didn't realize it was him/her until it was to late. On another note, I have two questions. 1. There is absolutely no way to fire a weapon while in a vehicle, correct? 2. Has anyone managed to find the camera needed to hack the QR Code on the SW area of the map? It's in two parts & you have to find a camera capable of lining them up so they make one QR Code. Try to figure it out for about thirty minutes last night & still couldn't make it happen.

Edited by Lj.

Can someone tell me where the guy with the key card or whatever in the first mission is? I might try it again if I know where I'm going

If you look through the glass door you’ll see a camera in the ceiling of the other room. Hack into it and direct it straight ahead but slightly to the right. Take control of the new camera in your vision, in front of you should be the guy with code, IIRC he was talking to two cops. Hack his phone and you're golden.

• Like 1

On Act 4 now, only 8 missions to go including the final one. Think I'll blitz it at the weekend and then move on to InFamous: Second Son and Fire Emblem.

For those that have finished, without spoiling anything, do you ever actually do that mission from all the trailers? At the club? I figured if it was in I would've seen it by now...

Anyone who did the privacy invasions in the Loop:

The two in the southwest of the loop that sit and text to each other... did anyone get the full part of those texts? Because I kind of goofed on that by not grabbing the cash first.

Server hack (non-mission based):

Has anyone found the server hack where a lady seems to be in a bathroom convincing herself to commit suicide? I came across it yesterday and it still strikes a few chords. I'm still pretty sure she succeeded in it too.

I'm not really paying attention to the actual game storyline so the comments above are making me wonder if I should ever bother. I'm happy with this game essentially being online hide and seek because I am having a tonne of fun using it at that.

On that note, props to the evil genius who drew me into a garage, closed the door behind me and then blacked out the area so I couldn't get out to find them.

• Like 1

Hopped on earlier to do a quick mission, and as I was running to the marker I heard two NPC's get into an accident and they were arguing about it afterwards. Neat little thing I thought.

I'm really enjoying the game and I've hardly done any of the missions. Last mission I done was hacking into my first server and avoiding the guards. Spent too much time just wandering around doing side missions, hacking and some of the fixer contracts.