Football Manager 2015

Dan

It's a good job I'm a grown adult these days. A couple of rage inducing moments yesterday would have had my (much) younger self throwing my toys way out the pram!

Playing as Gloucester and sitting third with 12 games to go. Outside chance of catching the top 2 but really just looking to consolidate our playoff position. I take a look at the remaining fixtures. We have to play against the leaders home and away, and another of the top 5 at home, but our other 9 games are against teams in the bottom half. "Should easy make the playoffs", I think.

Next game is away at the leaders, Chorley. We batter them and somehow lose 3-1. My centre half makes two absolute howlers and gets a 4.8 rating. Fair enough, I thought - a loss away at the leaders is expected. Our pre season prediction was 17th, after all.

Next game is at home to 16th placed Colwyn Bay. I check the form - no away ways in their last 6, no home defeats for us in our last 8. Great, easy then - just drop that under performing defender and I'll be fine right?

Wrong.

We lose 6-1 after being 1-0 up at Half Time. 2 penalties, a fluke goal from a cross and a goal from my defender cannoning the ball into their forward. 60% possesion for us, 17 shots, 4 clear chances. 6 Colwyn Bay shots, 6 goals. 2 clear cut chances (both the penalties). My replacement centre half gets a 4.6 rating, with two others in the low 5s.

I had to laugh, I could just see my pre-pubescent self having an utter hissy fit. Fortunately, I now restrict myself to a simple, quiet "oh, fuck off" which STILL caused my wife, walking past, to remind me it's "only a game".

Ah, FM.

(Fortunately I've since bounced back with a win and 2 draws, and remain 3rd, 6 points clear in the playoff places. My younger self would never have made it that far!)

Edited by Whisper in the Wind
  • Like 1

...They're going to spend the total value of their club on transfers?

The news story said that they would have a £17m transfer kitty. Given that the club was basically worthless (some of the teams in this division are worth £0 because their debts exceed their assets) before the takeover, I can only assume that their new value is almost all bank balance.

How the hell do they have that much cash?

Indian tycoon takeover.

Shit, what was that football managing game where you could offer bungs and all that? I'm sure it was a PC game.

That was a part of Ultimate Soccer Manager. You could conspire to rig matches as well I believe.

Premier Manager 3 (I think...) allowed you to tap up players. You could go into your phone book, see contract details and then sign any player just like that.

Football Manager needs to bring in more dirty tricks :shifty:

• Like 1

Shit, what was that football managing game where you could offer bungs and all that? I'm sure it was a PC game.

That was a part of Ultimate Soccer Manager. You could conspire to rig matches as well I believe.

Premier Manager 3 (I think...) allowed you to tap up players. You could go into your phone book, see contract details and then sign any player just like that.

Football Manager needs to bring in more dirty tricks :shifty:

And half time oranges

You do

Amazingly, Sutton bought no one permanently (one loan from Crewe) in the Jan window and are now bottom of the league.

• Like 1

That sense of pride when a player who you brought through your academy breaks records. Player called David Kempshall has been played as a sub for me at Leicester for five or six matches this season and just got not only his first, but second goal for the club too at just 16 years and 70 days old, breaking the club and Premier League youngest goal scorer record.

• Like 1

You can tell the new Premier League TV deal is in the game.

14 days into the June 2017 transfer window, Man Utd have spent £135m, Man City £119m and Chelsea £60m

Newcastle have spent £550k...

• Like 1

I'm a little annoyed that my diary game doesn't include that update. In the latest window, Chelsea spent about £50m and City about £40m, but that's as high as it goes. I would have liked bigger spending silliness. :(

(Although I have just noticed that Man City forked out £15m for my former striker at Flamengo, Mohamed Awad. You go, kid!)

You may remember that I set up a 'Be a Newgen' thread when the game first come out.

In my current save, I spent three years at Watford without playing a game before being released and I'm now on trial with me at Concord Rangers. 9to5 played two games for Barnsley and is now a free agent.

EddieG is a wonderkid, scored 14 goals for Heracles last season and has been capped at senior level and is currently in negotiations over a £7m move to Juventus.

• Like 1

I'm a little annoyed that my diary game doesn't include that update. In the latest window, Chelsea spent about £50m and City about £40m, but that's as high as it goes. I would have liked bigger spending silliness. :(

(Although I have just noticed that Man City forked out £15m for my former striker at Flamengo, Mohamed Awad. You go, kid!)

Chelsea 2017's striking options.

Diego Costa :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Karim Benzema :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Jackson Martinez :w00t: :w00t:

and Enner Valencia. o_O