Football Manager 2015

Dan

I continue to be baffled by this game. I've started numerous journeyman saves, all of which I've ended up losing interest in due to not being able to create a tactic that suits the lower leagues. I've spent hours analysing games, individual roles, opposition formations etc etc, but when it comes to matches, I've had very limited success.

On the contrary, my United game is so easy it's boring. I'm winning games/trophies comfortably and am essentially just pressing continue until the next transfer window. I use a narrow, attacking 4-2-3-1 setup that I made in FM 2014 and have tweaked for this year's game. It works a treat, so much so that I don't even bother setting up other tactics for tough away games etc.

Anyhow, I really wanted to get into a career game, but couldnt be bothered spending ages setting up various systems yet again. So I decided to just copy over my United tactic which on paper, as a short passing, high tempo, attacking tactic, has no right working in the lower leagues.

I holidayed through to October and got the Leiria job in the bottom tier of Portuguese football. 6 games in and they were 7th (out of 10), with just 1 win,( a 5-0 win achieved whilst managerless in the game right before I took over).

The board wanted an above mid table finish, which in the Potuguese third tier equates to 4th and above. 12 games later, we are 2nd and have qualified for the promotion stage for the second half of the season. 8 (including my first 6 games) wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat, all with a tactic that I really didn't think would work. It's even more perplexing when you consider the number of injuries I had when I took over. My first subs bench consisted of 2 goalkeepers and 5 greyed out players. My team had a winger at left back, a midfielder at centre back, and 2 strikers and a winger in the three AMC positions.

It may help that Leiria aren't terrible. Media prediction was 1st, though I think that's partly based in reputation?

Anyway, I guess the point of this long, rambling post is that I'm finally enjoying a lower league game, even if I'm not quite sure how my tactic is working. It might all go pear shaped, but at least I've got a system that can work, which will make me much more inclined to stick with the save if/when I am sacked

I just wish I hadn't spent all those hours trying to put tactics together!

TBH I've always just looked at the squad, picked a formation that suits getting the best players on the pitch and/or the available depth (hence things like my 3-5-2 in South Africa), intentionally not over-thought the instructions/etc. Provided the players get familiar with it and morale isn't in the toilet, it rarely seems *completely* terrible...

Although paranoid tinkering with player roles still persists. At the moment Fabregas is getting little better than 6.5 ratings alongside Matic in a 4-2-3-1, and I'm not sure what option I haven't tried yet. <_<

What's the weirdest formation you've tried to get going? I tried a 1-3-3-3 at Met Police and it tanked. Even tried 2-3-5 to no avail.

Might go 1-6-3...

I remember 1-3-3-3 being a choice on one of the tons of football management games I had on the C64! Had to ask my grandma wtf was going on with that as I had only seen formations set in 3 ranks before that.

3 CB's? I guess it will look like a sword

Yeah, although the attacking midfielder is playing AMCR, so it's a bit wonky.

Works though, especially at home. Scored 3 or more (including 8 against Sunderland) in all but one home game (a 2-1 win over Chelsea).

It's the catenaccio, very popular with Italian sides in the 50's I think

Gazz?

Yup.

I'm finding with the latest patch, the more 'out there' the system is, the better it works.

My current system is the 'DoppelDeuter'.

DoppelDeuter.png

It shouldn't work, especially defensively, because there is no support for the full backs on the flanks, but the Raumdeuters play so far up the pitch, they pin back the opposition fullbacks long enough for the BWM to come across and close them down along with the fullback. Then attacking wise, the CF pulls a centre back away and the shadow striker and the RMD's can surge through the gap as Neumayer hits direct passes from deep. I've only played 10 or so games with it but the base framework is there for a well balanced system.

I also accidentally gave an outfield player the No. 1 jersey. :shifty:

• Like 2

What's the weirdest formation you've tried to get going? I tried a 1-3-3-3 at Met Police and it tanked. Even tried 2-3-5 to no avail.

Might go 1-6-3...

I once managed a 2-3-5, but it was all centre based, (2 DC, 1 DM, 2M, 3AMC, 2S). I can't even remember the save or year, I just remember there were no decent wing players in the team or willing to join, and way too many AMCs and Strikers, so I went with it for a laugh. Mid-table finish required of me was achieved, with lots of goals at both ends.

Starting mid-season with a bottom placed Schalke. No money and no wage budget. Huntelaar is on 120k a week for absolutely no reason other than he once played for Real Madrid (he's a piss poor choice for my chosen tactics). Sell him onto Liverpool, use the money from that and the wage budget to bring in Marquinhos,Timo Horn and Eder Balanta.

Players are pissed that I let him go. Also managed to shift Barnetta before I lost him to a free transfer. So much dead weight in this team.

He's decent but Horn costs less and offers more long term growth. With Fahrmann I'd need to replace him probably at the end of this season and I'm not confident the market would be any better than it is in-game (I only brought Horn because of his low release fee and because Koln offered him a new contract).

Does the new Prem TV deal come into effect from the 3rd season?

I may have peaked early by finishing 3rd with Southampton in my first season.