The Witcher 3

DavidMarrio

Not that I was saying the game was actually LIKE that - meerly stating that there were benefits to not taking money - but a 50/50 split would ruin it for me if a game was structured like that. It makes the idea of a second playthrough almost entirely pointless to me if I am just going to experience the game in generally the same way.

I disagree. Although we probably want different things as I'm not particularly bothered about multiple playthroughs.

I think it would be much more intriguing for a game to say "you should have been nice to these people, you get nothing" or "you were too trusting and got conned out of gold" or whatever.

I'd much rather have a single playthrough where your decisions have a bit more gravitas to them and you have to think what to do. Instead of okay I've done a good game, now an evil one with slightly different rewards where you basically do the opposite of what you did last time.

I like this game, but having gotten into WoW recently, it bums me out how large it is but there's kind of a linearity to what I can do at any time. Like, I have a good fifteen quests at the moment since heading to Velen. I'm Level 4, I've done pretty much all the quests I could find in the previous area... and all the quests I have in Velen are like, Level 23.

Am I missing something here, is there a bunch of quests in a different area I should head to first? Because all the stuff in the area it seems like I'm SUPPOSED to be in are all way to high.

Like, I want to go do side quests. I really like the side quests. But I can't find any side quests in my level range.

Also yeah, this game was not well optimized. It feels like it's fucking chugging along at 20 fps sometimes. I really wish there was an option to reduce the graphics on the PS4 and get a better framerate.

Edited by TKzo Amore
  • Like 1

I like this game, but having gotten into WoW recently, it bums me out how large it is but there's kind of a linearity to what I can do at any time. Like, I have a good fifteen quests at the moment since heading to Velen. I'm Level 4, I've done pretty much all the quests I could find in the previous area... and all the quests I have in Velen are like, Level 23.

Am I missing something here, is there a bunch of quests in a different area I should head to first? Because all the stuff in the area it seems like I'm SUPPOSED to be in are all way to high.

Like, I want to go do side quests. I really like the side quests. But I can't find any side quests in my level range.

Also yeah, this game was not well optimized. It feels like it's fucking chugging along at 20 fps sometimes. I really wish there was an option to reduce the graphics on the PS4 and get a better framerate.

I've finally got the game and my feelings are similar. There's a lot of side quests which are saying I should be at least 10 levels higher than I currently am.

The whole alchemy, oils etc part of the game is a bit overwhelming as well.

I've finally got the game and my feelings are similar. There's a lot of side quests which are saying I should be at least 10 levels higher than I currently am.

Yea, I really don't understand the oils, mutagens etc...that much either

Yea, I really don't understand the oils, mutagens etc...that much either

Oils can be crafted and applied to weapons to do bonus damage on certain types of monsters. You can look at the Bestiary and see the different classifications of monster, there's an oil for each one of those.

Mutagens are basically multipliers on the character menu. There are four sections, each has three smaller slots and a larger one. You can put a mutagen in one of the larger ones and if you put skills of the same colour there, the benefit that it gives (green does vitality, blue does percentage of sign effect and red.. haven't gotten one yet) multiplies the more of the same colour are in the same grid. Mutagens can also be used in crafting recipes, and you can combine lesser ones to make greater versions as well.

Once you get a bit further you will be absolutely swimming in side quests so don't worry. There are like.. a bajillion job boards around not to mention the ones you keep walking into.

Even though that was yesterday it feels like a million years ago - I was trying to see if you've been to that area yet.

Basically follow the path to find Siri - I remember now that the quest you should be following has to do with finding a witch that may have had contact with Siri. It's one of the main ones.

Even though that was yesterday it feels like a million years ago - I was trying to see if you've been to that area yet.

Basically follow the path to find Siri - I remember now that the quest you should be following has to do with finding a witch that may have had contact with Siri. It's one of the main ones.

Ahhh, I recall seeing a quest about a witch. Ta. I'll check it out next time I play.

On another note, been running this on a GeForce 980 card and boy does it look good on ultra settings. Runs like an absolute dream as well. Probably the best looking game I've played.

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't want to have to deal with some pretty shitty and very dark situations visuals coming up, that occurs during your search for your friend in Novigrad. At some point throughout that you'll have two quests - Gangs of Novigrad and Get Junior. If you go all the way to complete Get Junior by:

Meeting up with Roche, if he was left alive in your history - otherwise being sent to someone who can tell you where Junior is I guess.

You end up going to Junior's hideout where:

There are some pretty fucked up graphical depictions of some terrible shit done to the women sent to Whoreson Junior's estate

Doing research it seems to be an inevitable thing so.. just thought you might want to be ready for it. I know that by getting to the final point of Get Junior cancels out Gangs of Novigrad. I don't know if there's a way to bypass the graphic stuff but maybe you can do so by doing the Gangs quest line instead? Doesn't seem likely though.. some people online are saying you get better gear and stuff by NOT doing the Gangs mission.

I got this the other day, played a bit but I feel like I'm just not playing it properly if that makes sense? Like, I just fight by mashing square and triangle, don't use any of the magic stuff or whatever, dunno what I'm doing with alchemy, barely know what I'm doing with most of it even though I still enjoy what I've played so far.

I got this the other day, played a bit but I feel like I'm just not playing it properly if that makes sense? Like, I just fight by mashing square and triangle, don't use any of the magic stuff or whatever, dunno what I'm doing with alchemy, barely know what I'm doing with most of it even though I still enjoy what I've played so far.

I'll take it off your hands :shifty:

Put the difficulty up?

I had that problem with 2. Putting it on the hardest setting not only helps towards the platinum, but forces you to use all your resources.

It's not really about the difficulty, wasn't saying I was just breezing through it or something. It's just that I'm not using something it to it's fullest really is what I mean, so I think I'm missing out on things because I'm just neglecting to use them. Think I was daunted by the constant tutorial menus for everything highlighting about 20 different things I can do each time I went in to a new menu to have a look.

Finally completed White Orchard. Found all the places of interest and I think I've done all the quests/side quests there is to do.

Yeah the tutorials are a bit info-dumpy for me too personally, luckily I had a general idea of how to play the game myself so I could get into it easier.

Basically when fighting bosses, try to not fight underleveled, and if you do make sure to always stock up on potions that help you. Thunderbolt improves weapon damage, Swallow gives you life regen. Then there are oils for your blades that add damage to certain monster types.

Thirdly signs are very useful if you know what you're doing. If you got a lumbering opponent, drop an Yrden and make him even slower than before. If you got a quick one, stun him with Axii and get a few hard shots in.

Group of baddies can be stunned with Aard, and you can do some good fire damage with Igni.

Finally if you're a more cautious and slow fighter, you can use Quen to give you a shield, essentially giving you no-damage from a single hit.

Upgrades to all respective signs can make them devastating in their own rights. I have given my Axii two boosts and it stuns practically everyone. And most human combatants I can one hit kill when they're stunned with Axii, even if they're higher level than me.

Finally, dodge and block. If you're one on one and confident about your reflexes and know what the other will do, go for the parry (timed block) so you can open up their guard and slash them.

All signs are useful when used, try to use them as much as possible because there's no negative for using it everytime the bar is filled. And against bosses you really need to learn to start using potions and oils to maximize your damage whilst also upping your regen etc.

And well, it's pretty hard in W3 because of the open world, but don't try to fight people/monsters that are too far above your level because they're seriously powerful especially on higher difficulties. I have been ganked by a group of lvl 6 Nekkers who ganged up on me when I was level 3.

Sometimes it's smarter to avoid battles and just run away when you're seriously underpowered.

• Like 2