Tennis!

sahyder1

It'd mean more if he won Wimbledon. It always will. People tend not to care about the Olympics in tennis, and we have waited nearly 8 whole decades for a British winner at our own event. It's the biggest stage in the world, it is the coup de gras. This country will have so any other things to focus on during the Olympics, but right now it is all about Wimbledon.

I ended up enjoying the final today even though for the first set and a half I was sat quite depressed, already thinking ahead to the next time Radwanska might get a shot at a Slam. But she came back very well and finally started to play some of her best tennis. Serena at the end of the day was just too good. She's been excellent throughout this tournament and she deserve the title, can't begrudge her it at all and I enjoyed the post-match celebrations. I did also tear up a bit when Aggy nearly broke in her post-match interview with Sue Barker. I firmly believe she will be a Grand Slam Champion one day, she is a terrific player and I doubt she'll have to face someone the calibre of Williams again to win it. I was surprised McEnroe, Davenport et al were saying Serena could equal or beat Evert/Navratilova's GS title haul. If she ever wins another Slam it will surprise me, much less another 4-5.

Now on to tomorrow's showpiece! Well, after Jonny Marray finishes his final where he and Freddie Nielson have just lost the first break to Lindstedt/Tecau.

My predictions for the year.

ATP - Djokovic will win 2 majors (Aussie & US), Nadal (French) and Federer (Wimbledon) will win the others. Someone outside of "the big 3" will win the YEC. Murray will lose two more times in GS Finals, but he will finally win a set in a GS Final :shifty: Djokovic will NOT go wire to wire as #1. Nadal will end the year at # 4 as injuries continue to take a toll on him.

WTA - Mercifully the Wozniacki reign at # 1 will end to Kvitova by the end of the Australian Open. Caro will end the year with another 4-6 titles won, but ZERO Grand Slams to her credit. Two players will win their first GS this year. Serena will lose her temper, withdraw from at least 4 tournaments due to "injury", but win another Slam simply because the field sucks. Venus, Jankovic and Clijsters will retire.

If Federer wins tomorrow (preferably in 4 or 5), my predictions from the start of the year on the men's side will be perfect through Wimbledon, including the new # 1. All I'd need is Murray to lose the US Open Final and to come back and win the YEC and I could have made a lot of money if I was a gambling man. On the women's side Azarenka did what Kvitova couldn't at the AO, Serena won her slam after withdrawing from a few events, I still have a shot at 2 newbies being first time Slam winners in September, and aside from Wozniacki completely tanking, I did well with the predictions for the ladies too.

Question for the Brits here, would it be a bigger deal for Murray to win Wimbledon or Olympic gold this summer? I'm only asking because the Olympics are in London and only come around once every 4 years.

Wimbledon by a long way. In fact if he's to win only one Grand Slam in his entire career it pretty much has to be Wimbledon, most people don't care about tennis outside of the two weeks of Wimbledon.

Great sportsmanship by Jonny Marray in the Doubles Final. Third set tiebreak, Marray/Nielson leading 4-0 and Marray wins a point but hits the net with his racquet. The umpire misses it as do the opposition team so Marray points it out and concedes the point. Immense.

At one set apiece and 4-3 up with a mini-break, looking good for the British at the moment.

marray_2270653b.jpg

He looks like he still can't believe it holding the trophy. An absolutely monumental achievement, congratulations to both Jonny Marray and Freddie Nielsen, who has done his grandfather proud. Brilliant stuff, they deserve all the credit in the world.

76 years of British hurt at Wimbledon ended on this Saturday...now is it time another 76 year run ended today?

Way to steal Murray's thunder guys.

This really feels destined though, with London hosting the Olympics and everything. It's like when Greece won Euro 2004 right before the Olympics started in Athens, just a huge summer of pride for the entire country. I will be pulling for Murray tomorrow, I'd love to see Federer win another major but few moments in watching sport will be more special than Murray winning at Wimbledon. If he wins we should just start calling him Sir Andy Murray right away.

Andy Murray Wimbledon column: I'm ready for the final hurdle

By Andy Murray - British number one

Knowing I am through to the final of Wimbledon fills me with so many emotions, but all of that will count for nothing unless I come away with the title.

All I can afford to focus on is my game and Roger Federer. He is a player I've beaten in the past, and I can do it again.

My coach Ivan Lendl and hitting partner Dani Vallverdu will sit down to study his matches so far this fortnight and some of my previous meetings with him, then we'll talk tactics.

I don't like watching my matches back - things change very quickly in tennis and you have to look forward - but I will reflect on what I've done well against Roger in the past and certain performances at the latter stages of Grand Slams.

He is arguably the best player of all time. There are a few guys who have a decent claim, but I'd say Roger and Pete Sampras. Sunday will be a great challenge and one that excites me.

Although it's my first Wimbledon final, I was in this position at the 2008 US Open and the Australian Open in 2010 and 2011. I know how it's going to feel and although there will be nerves, I know how to deal with them and use it as a positive.

Of those finals, losing to Novak Djokovic in Melbourne last year was the most painful, and it's one of the factors motivating me to lift the trophy this time round.

Since I left for Spain 10 years ago and decided I wanted to become a professional tennis player, these are the moments I've spent every day working towards.

I moved away from my family at the age of 15, lived and trained in another country. I had to do that to get where I am today, challenging for the sport's biggest prizes.

It hasn't been an easy journey and after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-finals on Friday I was quite emotional.

Before doing my post-match interview I went to the bathroom and just sat there, splashed water over my face and calmed myself down. My attention then switched to the final.

When you make it to this stage of a tournament it can be easy to get distracted, but I've kept things as normal as possible. A spot of practice, plenty of physio, chats with my team and walks with the dogs.

On Sunday I'll wake up at around 9am, have some breakfast, make my way in and warm up for the last time before packing my bags in the locker room and changing into match kit.

Eventually, the wait will be over. The one thing I can guarantee is that I'll fight my absolute heart out. I need to give everything I have from the first point to the last.

Roger won the the first of his 16 majors at Wimbledon in 2003. I was playing in the juniors that year, hoping one day I could do the same. Now I have my chance.

Wimbledon 2012 match stats

Murray vs Federer

22 Sets 22

228 Games 195

237 Winners 222

103 Unforced errors 88

74 Aces 59

17 Double faults 8

63% Ave % 1st serves in 66%

77% Ave % pts won on 1st serve 80%

67% Ave % pts won on 2nd serve 61%

That's an interesting bet, very good first serve with a seemingly suspect second serve lately. I've stuck a tenner on both 3-1 and 3-2 Federer but like I say, I'm partly hoping I've jinxed myself.

It's going to be a great match though I think, Murray has had a tough run on paper from the start and dispatched Davydenko and Cilic with no problems, and did well to overcome Baghdatis, Ferrer and Karlovic while Federer has been playing some of the most beautiful tennis ever, as per, so it has all the makings of a great match.