Tennis!

sahyder1

I think there's something to be said about the fact Nadal, Djokovic and Murray have all developed chronic injury problems considering the incredibly intense style of play they all employ. It's not sustainable. Murray hasn't played in nearly a year now, I hope his comeback goes better than Novak's.

7 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I think there's something to be said about the fact Nadal, Djokovic and Murray have all developed chronic injury problems considering the incredibly intense style of play they all employ. It's not sustainable. Murray hasn't played in nearly a year now, I hope his comeback goes better than Novak's.

So it is just Robo Federer vs Foreign Imported UK No1?

38 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Honestly I think Djokovic is done as a top player. The desire isn't there nor is the luck with injuries now it's all caught up to him.

I can see why you'd say that, but I thought the same about Nadal a couple of years ago. Djokovic, like Federer, Nadal and Murray, now has the benefit of being able to pick his schedule, rather than having to play flat-out for eleven months a year or risk a fine. I'm not saying that an elbow injury is easy to overcome for a tennis player, but I wouldn't rule out a purple patch either if he's sensible and motivated.

As for Murray, I'd really love to see him back to his best, but it's bound to take a while if it happens at all. I'm half-expecting him to miss Wimbledon because his targeted grass season return is very close now, and handling the rigours of a Grand Slam match so soon will be extremely difficult.

• Like 1

Very true Bobfoc, this is maybe the best spell Nadal's had since hitting these injury troubles though. His knees were falling apart not so long back, and he struggled to be fit consistently for quite a while. Maybe he did something different in his training or recovery this time, I'm not sure, but it's certainly worked.

Novak hasn't found that answer yet and it remains to be seen whether Murray will need to as well.

I'm delighted for Halep, she more than deserves it.

I haven't watched any of the tournament this year which is a shame but I've had other things on. Hopefully I'll be able to watch more of Wimbledon although the World Cup isn't going to help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

That 1st Round match was easy for Federer even by his usual standards.

Harriet Dart did really well in defeat to 7th seed Pliskova, in her first ever match at the tournament. Only lost the first set in a tiebreak, won the second despite needing a very lengthy injury break midway through, then just ran out of steam in the third.

And Wawrinka wins. He got dominated by Murray last week, so I'm surprised he's gone and beaten Dimitrov.

There's also been another surprising First Round showdown between Richard Gasquet and Gael Monfils, who've both reached Grand Slam semi-finals before. Luck of the draw is very much in effect in the men's tournament.