Tennis!

sahyder1

Entertainment plays a big part. Nadal v Djokovic going longer is always going to be better than a match where both servers are hammering the other guy game after game.

Fans bought tickets for the semi's that day to see Nadal v Djokovic and many would have had to miss it, and even more would've missed the end of it the following day. It'd be really disappointing to pay all that money and not get what you thought you were paying for. 

As I say, I hope they do something. It doesn't need to be a straight tie-break at 6-6, but draw a line somewhere and have a Champions tie-break to decide it.

10 minutes ago, PolaMDK said:

Make the mens just 3 sets.

Nah that'd be awful.

Something like capping it at 10-10 I'd be fine with, although personally I hope they leave it as it is because it doesn't cause such a big problem as it did this year very often.

I love women's tennis, but three sets is not needed for the men and would just diminish it in my opinion. It's fine of course outside of the Slams but it just feels better knowing that when it comes to the Big 4, you need that little bit extra to get the win.

• Lineker unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

I couldn't watch the match because I don't have Amazon Prime, but it sounded unpleasant. It's dumbfounding to me that the 36-year-old who's won 23 Grand Slams and has far more big match experience than anyone on the tour can lose her temper so easily while a 20-year-old in her first major final can just get on with it. As much as I respect Serena's achievements, this tournament shouldn't just be about her, and so the crowd was out of order to ruin somebody else's big moment like that.

Serena is 100% right that men say and do a whole lot worse and never get penalized.

And now Osaka has to basically apologize for winning and judging by the way the match was going, being the better player all match. What a shame. Especially in just a big moment for someone who has been tipped as one of the next elite women's players.

There are instances where I think there is a double standard regarding what men are allowed to do and what the women are, I.E. Alize Cornet getting a warning for taking of her top to fix it because it was the wrong way round when the men take their shirts off all the time. And that was absolute bullshit and I think that was at least rescinded?

I don’t think this is an example of that though, she repeatedly demanded an apology because he upheld the rules, then she called him a liar, then she called him a thief. All because he acted upon the rules of the game. Players argue and rant at the officials often enough but at a certain point it crosses a line.

She can talk all she likes about not being a cheater, that it wasn’t coaching, whatever. But the fact is that Mouratoglou admitted it was coaching immediately post match, and even just from the footage the cameras had of what he was doing for her to get the warning in the first place , it was very clear what it was even without his admission.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Serena is 100% right that men say and do a whole lot worse and never get penalized.

Any man accusing the chair umpire of 'stealing' the match/game/point from them is also going to get penalised. This is Serena doing what Serena does when she's getting dominated - throwing a tantrum.

• Like 2

Serena Williams has always been a petulant, churlish individual on court. She comes off so entitled, and I know she's a superstar and a legend of the sport but it doesn't excuse her behaviour and this, in a Grand Slam Final, was pathetic.

The most telling thing was when she told the umpire "you will never be on a court of mine as long as I live". Who does she think she is?

I feel very sorry for Naomi Osaka in all of this, what an achievement for her to win her first Slam aged 20, against Serena on her home turf, and she's basically punished for it and made an afterthought.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...