Football Manager 2016

Benji

Stoker finishing his Hexagon diary makes me want to do one even though I already have 3 uni assignments coming up, my WAW ThunderDome diary, a daily commitment to write for the WAW website, and work to consider. <_<

EDIT - Oh, and my Nuzlocke diary to finish and an existing San Marino challenge on FM12 which is still way behind where I got to before I swapped laptops and lost my save.

Edited by Naitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm frustrated by the disconnect between the match commentary and the post-match press conference. Like I've lost partially because of two goals that my players think are offside - and I can see them protesting to the linesman in the match engine - ask me about it, and if I'm wrong, let the FA or whoever warn me based off of my reaction to that. You do get questions like that, but they are far too few.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I'm frustrated by the disconnect between the match commentary and the post-match press conference. Like I've lost partially because of two goals that my players think are offside - and I can see them protesting to the linesman in the match engine - ask me about it, and if I'm wrong, let the FA or whoever warn me based off of my reaction to that. You do get questions like that, but they are far too few.

Or how about you get a magical goal from 20 feet out that curled right in, and the other team had a pathetic ball dribble into the goal. And they'll ask you to rate their 'special' goal...

As a whole, the interviews are shit in FM.

• Like 3

TBH, I can't remember the last time my players protested that a goal should have been offside and it actually was. Indeed, it's usually the player who was asleep five yards behind everyone else and played him onside who complains the most.

So I'm kind of glad I don't get asked about those incidents. :shifty: 

15 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Hopefully with 90 Minute Fever gaining traction it'll lead to SI becoming much more ambitious again.

If there can be custom leagues, we clearly need to get an EWB League going :shifty:

On a more serious note. I have never heard of 90MF before I saw this post of you, and 9.9/10 I will look at manager sims like those and without even looking closer i'll pan them, because they're not Football Manager. Because lets be honest, there hasn't been a competitor for Football Manager, ever, really. SI has been running the business since the early 00s and big-budget competitors like FIFA Manager and (post-split) Championship Manager haven't nearly been good enough.

And whilst 90MF seems to look like Football Manager, and has a big incentive in MMO-style gameplay like in the days of FM Live, I still am skeptical and I try to avoid games that are in early access. Additionally I'm not a fan of subscription plans either, ESPECIALLY for a game that's not even finished yet.

All in all, it'll need a lot more grass-roots (hue) support before I can say it has a chance to really get SI sweating...

To give an idea how far they have to go...
FM 16 is a consistent top 5/10 game on Steam at any time. By far the most successful sports-based game on Steam, and the only one in the top 25 if you don't count Rocket League
1ae190fc6774ed28b4f77906fc6a62ca.png

90MF's highest ever number is 120, which is still about 300 times lower than FM16's current player-amount...

07570c3924d6f029df2c702022c531d8.png

It's made by a number of people who were on the FM Live team, so I'm not surprised it looks like it (at least one current FM dev plays it also). I used to enjoy Total Club Manager (the predecessor to Fifa Manager) but it was very gimmicky, like building a girls school to ensure none of your youth players ever dropped out.

It occasionally threw you a transfer at the start of a game as well - sometimes real ones and sometimes not. Starting a United game and finding Beckham off to Real was fine - it was 2003 after all, but getting Ronaldinho given to you was always nice.

Real time transfer negotiations can fuck right off though. You had like 30 or 60 seconds to do a deal and you always ended up paying over the odds.